DVDVR Message Board

NJPW World Tag League 2018

Archibald

If Ishimori beats Kushida at WK, when do the BCOG'z start getting their comeuppance? I really hope Jay White isn't beating Okada at WK. I can't quite put my finger on what it is about White, but I'm not into him at all. It's "go away" heat for me, rather than I want to see you get your ass kicked. Do the GoD really need two titles? Have they even defended the six man titles since winning them? I hope they're dropping the tag titles at WK. It just feels like all the worst parts of the nWo.

I'd think that same thing with six-man titles will happen as last year, they'll change hand on either Road To Tokyo Dome show or during WTL finals if GoD don't make it. And I really, really doubt that GoD are going to win their Dome match either. It is probably going to be either LiJ team or Young Bucks who walk out with the titles.

So Chuckie snapped again. I guess the idea is that if you hit him hard enough in the head then he is going to FUCKING KILL YOU. Maybe this angle isn't really going anywhere and this is just a character "quirk" for Chuckie. And I wouldn't complain, I found him rather bland before and he is a bit more interesting now.

When teams were announced most of us probably easily identified who is going to be fall guy and who is going to be protected and that most of these teams ain't winning. On one hand surprising thing to me was how well FinJuice and Zack/Taichi are doing, on the other hand I'm surprised how bad Yujiro/Page are doing. Even Makabe/Henare got more points than they. And you know what is even more shocking? Yujiro isn't really a fall guy. Super J-cast twitter has been tracking on who gets pinned and who picks up the wins. And well, Yujiro and Page are almost tied. Yujiro picked up 2 wins out of 3, but was pinned more than Page as well so overall Page is ahead by one fall/pin.

There are still 4 rounds to go and things might radically change, but at this point it looks to me like Page is on his way out because even Finlay is looking better than Page.

I could easily see Yujiro turning on Page and staying with Bullet Club.  He still wears his BC gear. His valet was throwing up the too sweet and had the BC logo on her ass. Yuji did appear on the latest BTE telling Page not to trust those greedy motherfuckers, referring to The Elite.

Where does Chase Owens goes? He doesn't fit in the Elite, but the GOD and Haku attacked him as well at the San Francisco G1. Maybe he tries to get back in their good graces, only to be beaten down again, and possibly joining another faction.

Chase is going to be the job guy no matter what- if NJPW keeps him around.  I wonder why Chase wasn't even in WTL this year with Yujiro- they didn't need to bring Page over if they felt he was leaving.

BCOG doesn't need Chase or Yujiro either, they've got Hikuleo coming back soon- though having one of them take the falls so Hikuleo can be protected a bit would help.  I think Hikuleo if he recovers from that knee injury will be good.

I like Chase. He's the right balance of fun and frivolous, credible against real bottom feeders but generally a job guy. As someone who watches most of the irrelevant multi-man tags, I really appreciate people like that, who work hard/smart in all of them. (He was really fun with Ibushi; I'd liked to have seen them in this tournament, though there's obvious reasons why that hasn't happened.)

The Bucks... well, we knew this was coming, and I think that's part of the reason fewer people are posting about this tour. The matches have mostly been quite good, but there's zero narrative weight or intrigue to any of it.

• Like 1

I've been pulling for LIJ to win Tag League and the tag titles at WK. Tag League has gotten more interesting with Chuckie T. and Baretta having issues. Is Chuckie T. Jay White's mole? Are Trent? and Chuckie both in cahoots with BC?

I enjoyed both Suzuki-gun vs. Suzuki-gun matches. I really liked Minoru and ZSJ going at in. I also liked the interaction between Taichi and Lance Archer. DBS, Jr. and ZSJ had some nice exchanges as well.

15 hours ago, Beech27 said:

I like Chase. He's the right balance of fun and frivolous, credible against real bottom feeders but generally a job guy. As someone who watches most of the irrelevant multi-man tags, I really appreciate people like that, who work hard/smart in all of them. (He was really fun with Ibushi; I'd liked to have seen them in this tournament, though there's obvious reasons why that hasn't happened.)

The Bucks... well, we knew this was coming, and I think that's part of the reason fewer people are posting about this tour. The matches have mostly been quite good, but there's zero narrative weight or intrigue to any of it.

Chase works smart at house shows too, he puts in more than enough effort and knows how to rile people up in an old-school way.  He's a great house show worker.

On 12/3/2018 at 6:01 PM, Ryan said:

Watch Page win the rest of their matches now just to screw with you.

Well he picked up a win and Yujiro ate a pin so gap between them widened. So yeah, either Page or Gedo are reading this forum.

And yeah, if NJPW intends to keep working with Page then Yujiro turning on him last day might be a good thing. Yujiro makes sense more in Bullet Club than Elite and he is a guy that Page could beat convincingly to start moving upwards. Kinda like Trent last year. Chase can be funny at times and I don't mind him in undercard, but at the same time his presence is so small that I wouldn't care one way or another if he was never used again.

Best Friends thing is so weird that I don't know where, if anywhere, it is going, but I'm enjoying the journey.

Anyway, as for the tag league finals. We got 6 teams that are still alive with GoD at the top. Honestly whole thing looks like a mess to me and I don't think that we can realistically get a scenario with GoD not being involved in the finals.

And sure, we all knew that YBs are going to get themselves into WK match, no surprise there. And I'm a wrestling fan who doesn't like triple-threats (not even going to say anything about more people/teams being involved in the same match), but I think that I'd hate it even more if GoD would end up winning the finals and would call out the Bucks. I really don't want either of these two teams as champs after WK and I'd probably take triple-threat over that as long as it means that we are getting new tag team champs, preferably LiJ, obviously.

Nobody really cares about trios belts, but they have to take them off somehow, somewhere? Last year they had rather clever path to that with Bushi rolling up Fale, then misting and kicking him in the balls during their singles match that eventually led to Fale getting his revenge and them taking trios belts from LiJ. This year it doesn't feel like there are any hints of something like that. Best case scenario I think could be GoD losing their last two matches to Best Friends and Yano/Ishii which leads to Best Friends/Yano challenging GoD/ishimori at WTL finals and winning.

So one more round left, what happened today:

Tanga Loa got killed by Chuckie. Jado was likely murder backstage as well.

We got 4 teams at the top and conveniently they'll be facing each other tomorrow: LiJ vs KES, GoD vs Ishii/Yano.

KES in the finals over LiJ would be super weird so I think it is going to be either LiJ vs Yano/Ishii or LiJ vs GoD. Good thing is that it looks that there is no way that we'll get a 3-way finals.

Would they put Ishii/Yano in the finals? It would make sense to put Ishii in multiman tag against Zack and everyone knows that Ishii/Yano can't win this tournament because Ishii already got singles match for WK. On the other hand, who gives a shit about that? Crowd would be way more into Ishii/Yano than in GoD and Sanada/Yano always deliver top stuff.

And well, if the plan isn't for GoD to win the entire thing (and if thats the plan then fuck this shit) it probably would be better if they lost "semi-final" due to Yano's fuckery than lost to LiJ that would lead to them facing each other again (with Bucks thrown in) at the WK one month later. And well, if GoD aren't in the finals then they can drop trios belts to someone on the same show.

LiJ/GoD is more likely, but I think that LiJ vs Yano/Ishii isn't out of the question.

Yano/Ishii are former champs and both remain over, so they idea of them in the finals isn't out of the question, since Ishii is always presented as a top guy even if he isn't ever getting a run with a belt higher than the NEVER, and Yano is equally presented as being able to beat anyone through his fuckery.  But yeah, I'm smelling a LIJ win with the Bucks coming in whining they never got their rematch against GoD and the WK 3 way is set up, where I can bitch about the way the Bucks will be presented in that match in the WK thread.

6 hours ago, Ace said:

Excalibur did really well, I thought.

I think he was solid too. My favourite thing about him was that he really didn't try to take things over like I often see in Callis or even that twitter translations guy who starts shouting his pre-written lines that sometimes sound ridiculously out of place. Excalibur on the other hand knew his role and stuck with it from start to finish.

Anyway, watched post-match interviews from yesterday. And well, remember how in WK thread I wrote that NEVER title situation looks a bit similar to Jr. title's situation last year that lead to 4-way? Well, since Zack/Taichi got officially eliminated yesterday... Taichi started asking for a rematch that he never got. Again, it might be just Taichi, but I won't be surprised if he somehow gets inserted into something here.

Interesting thread here (you get  +1 for scoring the fall, -1 for taking it; +.5 if your partner scores the fall, -.5 if your partner takes it):

The best record without taking a fall is 5-0, shared by Suzuki, ZSJ, and Juice. The latter two are clearly being protected for title challenges at WK, whereas MiSu is still treated as a perpetual threat.

9 minutes ago, FlaeBlazer said:

@Archibaldmentioned this but there really are only two ways this goes. LIJ win and YBs weasel their way into another tag title match. Or... the worst case scenario....

GOD wins and challenges the Bucks leaving LIJ without anything to do at the Dome.

r180475_608x342_16-9.jpg

"Hold my beer, playa!"

Ospreay will return to face Taichi, with the winner being #1 contender for the NEVER title. So, Ibushi/Ospreay looks very likely.

Kenny is also tagging with the Bucks, which... well we’ve already established that they’ll be there and challenge. But I’m curious to see how the crowd treats Omega when he’s in there with Tana.

The crowd is going to shit on Omega hard.  I got a feeling the crowd is going to cheer hard for Taichi against Ospreay , even if we know who is winning (Ospreay is one of their two big gaijin bets alongside Jay White- though it's possible he might get stuck as a junior a bit longer if KUSHIDA leaves)

Also EVIL and Sanada have a great shirt.