DVDVR Message Board

NJPW World Tag League 2018

Archibald

It’s tough to comment on such a middle of the road tour. I just watched Elgin/Cobb vs Tencozy and it was pretty bad but aside from that every match has been fine. I think it’s EVIL/Sanada’s tournament but KES and Best Friends should do well. There are definitely some fun interactions but you could skip most of these shows. (I work from home and I’m a nerd so I’m into them, your mileage may vary.)

• Like 2

Beware, spoilers below, if anyone actually cares about being spoiled with WTL results.

Cobb/Elgin defeated GoD and Cobb was the one to pin Loa. Should please those who can't stand that NJPW still prioritizes (or do they?) Elgin over Cobb. In theory this also might be the way to get Elgin/Cobb on the WK tag titles clusterfuck match. Either way I think that Elgin and Cobb are starting to work pretty good with each other, I wouldn't mind if they'd stick together.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Beech27 said:

I’ve mostly enjoyed this entire tour so far, albeit essentially as background noise; but my favorite team is easy to choose. 

Taichi is considerate of others' lifestyles. What a gentleman!

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

There's about four teams I'd like to see win it:

LIJ

Cobb & Elgin

Best Friends

Page & Yujiro

You're missing the one team that should win it, brother.

• Like 2

Noticed Kanemitsu at ringside tonight doing young lion duties, how long as he been back doing this? Hopefully its a sign he'll be back soon after his 2 year injury lay-off. 

Really fun show tonight, shocked by some results but the last few tag league matches were a lot of fun. 

1 hour ago, FlaeBlazer said:

What is the rationale behind the Best Friends angle? It seems very odd to do something like this at this point of the year with no buildup at all. Are they getting a Dome match or something?

Was thinking same thing so came up with this angle: Chuckie runs in to help White against Okada -> Trent runs in too to stop his former Best Friend -> Plot twist, Trent is asshole too and they just pretended that they broke up -> Everyone beats up Okada.

Surprise of this tournament to me is how much I enjoyed Suzuki Gun matches with each other. Also I liked DBS vs Zack segments and I remember liking his match against Yano in NJ Cup. Where I'm getting is... I wouldn't mind if he was in G1 next year. Sure, he is not top tier wrestler, but he is better than Tama, Fale and Page. Yoshi is better, but he is so dead as far as momentum goes that probably replacing him with DBS wouldn't be bad deal either. Basically I'd like if next year we had Suzuki, Zack, Taichi and DBS in G1 from Suzuki Gun.

Best Friends got along well, but they did some subtle storytelling. You could see Trent looking worried multiple times and Chuck went from his happy mode to "I'm dead inside" whenever he knew that Trent wasn't looking at him. I have no idea where this is going, but it is working for me. Few days I looked at this card and Best Friends vs Dads was match that I was going to skip, but I ended up watching it fully solely due to this angle. Oh and I think that dads (and obviously Young Lions) are mathematically eliminated by now.

Elgin/Cobb vs ishii/Yano had a bit surprising finish to me. Felt kinda like a revenge for their NJ Cup match? I'm not 100% sure but it looks they have Elgin and Cobb eat equal amount of pins this year. Thou I haven't noticed, but saw some people writing that Elgin tweaked his knee, maybe that changed match a bit? No idea.

Jado poking Tama with a stick in order to get him out of Paradise Lock was top stuff and I think GoD did a new team finisher? Anyway, LiJ/GoD/IshiiYano at the top of the block with 6-2 record. You know what would be cool? Another triple threat for the finals.

And I think it is kinda cool that NJPW are doing their dream match up two nights in a row and it is Ishimori who is picking up the wins. I'm 100% certain that he is beating Kushida at the Dome.

• Like 2