DVDVR Message Board

South Park: Still Goin' Strong

Petey

https://news.avclub.com/so-does-south-park-actually-want-to-cancel-the-simpson-1829684012

https://tv.avclub.com/south-park-takes-a-legendary-character-down-in-an-episo-1829672775

Wow...

Are people being obtuse on purpose or are they really this ignorant?

It's absolutely hilarious watching the woke liberal crowd tripping over themselves when South Park doesn't align with with their views.

And no Hari Kondabolu, I don't think the show with City Wok owner Tuong Lu Kim for the past 16 years was siding with you.

• Like 1

I figured the fact that the show has been pushing the #cancelsouthpark hashtag all season would be a big clue... but I assume many of those reacting to it haven't bothered to watch much South Park this season and hence wouldn't know.  And to be fair... the ep was all over the place and rather weak, I wouldn't be comfortable making any judgement based on it outside of "I hope next week is better than that".

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, username said:

I figured the fact that the show has been pushing the #cancelsouthpark hashtag all season would be a big clue... but I assume many of those reacting to it haven't bothered to watch much South Park this season and hence wouldn't know.  And to be fair... the ep was all over the place and rather weak, I wouldn't be comfortable making any judgement based on it outside of "I hope next week is better than that".

Reminds me of when they started using PC Principal and people started saying, "They aren't making fun of political correctness. They are making fun of the fake people who pretend to be politically correct."

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This is the best South Park has been in over a decade. They finally figured out how to exploit the current hyper sensitive world for laughs. The show has something to rebel against for the first time in years. 

There is also a laid back atmosphere that makes it fun. The last few seasons have felt like a chore. Where they forced episodes waiting for a second wind. Simpsons has this problem every few years. But they always find something despite what your more hacky critics will tell you. 

The Amazon two parter was fucking hilarious. I loved that the finish was stoned Colorado saying "Fuck you "to Amazon. 

Its one of the local things they do. Denver was one of the cities bidding for one of those two new Amazon factories a few months ago. Anyone with any brains knew that it was both a bad idea and that they were using Colorado as bargaining chip and never had any intention of opening a giant plant here.

• Like 2

• 9 months later...

Wow, after an ok opener last week, this week's show was fucking hilarious. I don't know if this is a three part show to start the season with or if they're going back to a full season story arc. But either way, after last night's show I'm all in.

• 1 month later...

Holy shit Winnie the Pooh getting strangled to death by chicken wire was easily the most uncomfortable thing I have seen in South Park.  The story behind was incredible and dead on accurate about how we deal with China.   And the South Park version of Mickey Mouse is one of the funnier and realistic characters in their history

I have to say I am confused by the Randy Marsh turning from pot farmer to a greedy bloody thirsty killer trying to get his business running.   I can't tell if this anti pot or anti prioritizing from pot

Edited by hammerva

I think their opinion is neutral. Randy always goes overboard and gets in over his head with whatever he's obsessed with at the moment, I think his wife even brings this up in a later episode. It's very on point for his character. If anything I think they're warning that pot will end up as corporate a commodity as everything else when prohibition ends. 

Hey hey! It's Trans Day of Remembrance, where we look back at our sisters and brothers that were killed because of shit like Heather Swanson.

Here's a Twitter thread recounting the 172+ transgender people that have been killed since December of last year.

Enjoy your shitty cartoon, I guess.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Watching the Christmas show and man I did not see them going straight from pot to cocaine.   While I get the idea that the holidays are more fun if people get fucked up but this is something.   And the whole drunk and driving thing was something.   Not sure if they are trying to push that pot is really a gateway drug

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Bumping this as South Park's social media is currently running a fan vote South Park Epic Episodes Tournament. Make Love, Not Warcraft (S10, Ep8) is in the Semi-Final. To me, that's the best South Park episode ever. 

Edited by The Natural