DVDVR Message Board

South Park: Still Goin' Strong

Petey

1 hour ago, The Z said:

Since there was no episode last week, I wonder if they actually prepared two alternative episodes for yesterday. The South Park crew is fast, but there's no way they are that fast.

We were thinking the same thing last night.  It was so on-the-nose that no way it could have been a coincidence.  That was an amazing episode.

Well, if you think about it, the scenes with Kyle's dad would have worked the same either way, same goes for the scenes with Cartman and his girlfriend. The scenes with Bill Clinton would have actually worked even better, if he was the first gentleman. The only scenes that would have had to be completely different were the ones with Randy and Mr. Garrison and those were like five minutes tops of the episode.

I'd love to see a behind the scenes video for this season. 

Last night's episode was tremendous and definitely made the pain from Tuesday temporarily dissipate. I texted a friend and said literally the only positive out of this is going to be great South Park material.

This has easily been my favourite season to date.

• 3 weeks later...

I normally love South Park but I feel like for almost two years now more than half the episodes have been part of the same storyline or joke. For me atleast the Garrison thing was already getting old last year and this year has made the season unwatchable for me. Hopefully next year it fades away or into the background atleast. 

6 hours ago, Hail Sabin said:

The last two episodes did nothing with 'member berries except the very brief cameo in the finale.

I have a suspicion that Trump winning the election kinda broke some parts of the narrative, this being the biggest example.

I think the season started strong, but it completely lost the plot by the end.  Parker and Stone clearly had no idea how to end this storyline or this season.  It's just one of those instances where their fly by the seat of their pants writing and storytelling didn't work itself out by the end.  

The Member Berries and JJ Abrams thing ultimately went nowhere.  Even if they are planning a long game with this, to make it such a prominent aspect and ultimately ignore it by the end is bad writing and storytelling.

The resolution with Cartman and his girlfriend was weak.  I expected Cartman's latest phase was short-lived, but dunno.  Just everything about the way it was resolved failed to land.  I still think its hilarious that people actually convinced themselves that Cartman had finally changed this time.

It wasn't a great blow-off, but then neither was the election that the story was so closely tied to. Can't really blame them for not having the heart to make a great finale. At the same time, allowing business as usual to return to the world of South Park is pretty close to what's happening in real life... for the moment, anyway. The twists of the next year will give them plenty of fuel for better stuff, and the 'member berries aren't going away any time soon I'm sure

Worth noting is that we can go back one year in this topic to the end of last season and most were saying something similar.  For whatever their gifts are, concluding a season long storyline is something they have so far shown to be rather poor at.  This year was probably more blatant in this regard, but I do think real life threw them off to a degree.

I will say that I hope that next season they go back to more stand-along episodes with perhaps a season-long slow burn on something.

Its a small point and isn't their focus (nor should it be a priority), but one issue with the last two seasons is they suck for re-runs. One of the great things back when I had cable was watching random South Park reruns whenever on Comedy Central and even if it was one I'd seen, 95% of the time it would be a funny episode. Imagine in three years they randomly show episode nine of this season, it won't make any sense at all and be almost unwatchable and certainly not overly funny.

As someone mentioned, this is two straight years that the season ended on a down note as they just don't seem to know what to do to end their storylines. The election result may have surprised them but that is no excuse, if they were doing a storyline based on the real life presidency, before they even started they needed a plan in case either result happened. If they want to do a season-long storyline they really need to do what all other shows do and create a storyboard before the season to make sure everything makes sense/is wrapped up. And if they are doing that, then they need someone else to look it over as it just doesn't seem to be one of their strong suits. The season had some funny moments here and there and good ideas, it just didn't come together in a way that was particularly comedic. Before they were topical/somewhat preachy but also funny at the same time which is fine, this season they came across as just topical/preachy but without near as much humor.

I am afraid this is the new norm but I think what they did a few years ago worked best, where the episodes were mostly standalone but with some season-long themes. It allowed them a lot more freedom while at the same time tying some aspects of the stories together throughout the year.

I still haven't watched the finale yet but I could see a bummer ending after episode 9 and what they did last year. But I'll disagree with the above that this year wasn't that funny. I thought member berries was one of the smartest funniest things they've ever done. It should've been easier to tie it all together with a Trump win because of the connection between Trump, the alt right trolls, and racist nostalgia of member berries. Huge dropped off ball. 

• 9 months later...

So glad they changed the focus from the last few years. Funny episode that was still topical without it being just about politics, which was so dominate last year and really brought down the season when they didn't know how to tie up their weird story. It just didn't feel like an entire episode setting up a future joke that may or may not deliver.

I need to watch this one again. The allegory of the kids wanting the day off because white people are mad that they can't get what they want all the time, esp. getting to be racist (at least, I read it that way, and I'm white) is pretty shrewd but there is some stuff I'm sure I missed. Once again, Randy falls on his face for our pleasure