DVDVR Message Board

UFC Fight Night 139: Korean Zombie vs. Rodríguez (11/10/2018) - Denver, CO (Pepsi Center)

Elsalvajeloco

Yoder vs. Cooper was a great fight I thought Cooper won by it was razor close.  Barber is one to kept your eyes on she looked amazing! Her vs. Dern in the future should be fun probably Barber fights someone else before Dern. The last two fights were INSANE with the main event being on another level and keeping me awake at 7 in the morning before I go to sleep again before the 1pm NFL games. 

• Like 2

Love Cowboy and he will always be my favorite UFC fighter, but I still think he's never winning a belt at lightweight. Not with Khabib around. He always just freezes up in title fights anyway. 

Still that was clearly a great moment for him snapping Mike Perry's arm in Denver and celebrating with his son. Was definitely a great moment for his career. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Love Cowboy and he will always be my favorite UFC fighter, but I still think he's never winning a belt at lightweight. Not with Khabib around. He always just freezes up in title fights anyway. 

Still that was clearly a great moment for him snapping Mike Perry's arm in Denver and celebrating with his son. Was definitely a great moment for his career. 

I'm also a fan of Cowboy Cerrone and concur with all you say. Closest Cerrone came was in his first WEC fight with Benson Henderson. Miss the WEC.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, The Natural said:

I'm also a fan of Cowboy Cerrone and concur with all you say. Closest Cerrone came was in his first WEC fight with Benson Henderson. Miss the WEC.

I mean Cerrone's lost every title fight he's ever fought in WEC and UFC. He's 0-4 in title fights overall. And the WEC clearly set him up to be champion. He just couldn't cross the threshold. 

• Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 9:49 PM, Elsalvajeloco said:

Herb works every weekend and he is pretty good 7 or 8 times out of 10. 

This.  You can count on Herb to make smart decisions most of the time.  If he does fuck up, it's usually in the process of calling it done too early because he's familiar with warrior's pride and doesn't want some asshole dying on his watch by not tapping out when he should.

Unlike Mario "Dr. Death" Yamazaki and his Crom-inspired If He Dies, He Dies style of reffing matches.

• Like 2

I hated to see TKZ deflated like that, but it was a good win for Yair and the photo of them in the hospital has reinforced my naïve believe that this is a sport full of honorable warriors that do battle and respect each other's spirit..

That elbow from the Phantom Zone was fucking insane.  I had the fight scored for TKZ up to that point, but Yair did what a fighter should and kept the contest out of the judges' hands   Nothing but love for both guys.

Good on Cowboy for making history, but I have to think that these high profile losses will only make Mike Perry a better fighter if he can put his ego aside and shore up the holes in his fight game.  

Since striking is his bread and butter, working on takedown defense would be a wonderful start.

• Like 3

If Mike Perry has one thing going for him, it's his ego. His striking, that's ok in terms of a guy who relies on single shot power (which is arguably not the ideal striking style, but try telling a guy with KO power he shouldn't rely on it). But his ego is what's made him the star he is.

54 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Since striking is his bread and butter, working on takedown defense would be a wonderful start.

His takedown defense isn't terrible, his deciding to take Cowboy Cerrone down was a terrible decision.  Mike Perry would be a contender if he only had a brain.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, AxB said:

If Mike Perry has one thing going for him, it's his ego. His striking, that's ok in terms of a guy who relies on single shot power (which is arguably not the ideal striking style, but try telling a guy with KO power he shouldn't rely on it). But his ego is what's made him the star he is.

Ego in the fight game is good when you are convinced that you are a potential title contender.  Anyone who doesn't think he'll be a champion one day shouldn't be in that sport.

Ego is bad when it causes you to be so sure of yourself that you make horrible decisions outside of your skill set.  Standing and trading with a volume strike KO guy when you are a OHOK striker is far less of a riskier proposition than taking a man with a bajillion sub victories to the mat when you have comparably sketchy ground game.

Mike needs to start checking those fucking leg kicks, too.  Half of Cerrone's gameplan is to hamper your striker's advantage and also to blister your fucking calf muscles until you are either more susceptible to his takedowns or your fucking legs hurt so much that you decide to take down Cerrone yourself and keep him on the ground long enough to recover your base..

Either way, you're falling into a trap.

I like Frank Trigg as a ref, because I find it funny that his arguable career highlight moment (as a fighter) was capitalising on a missed foul. But they are bringing him along pretty slowly and I think he's only licensed in California, like style icon Mike Beltran.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, supremebve said:

His takedown defense isn't terrible, his deciding to take Cowboy Cerrone down was a terrible decision.  Mike Perry would be a contender if he only had a brain.

His brain is not the only problem.  His ears are also an issue because he never seems to listen to his fucking corner when it would be wise to do so.

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, J.T. said:

His brain is not the only problem.  His ears are also an issue because he never seems to listen to his fucking corner when it would be wise to do so.

I can't find it, but there is a twitter video with him talking about hearing coaching while in the cage.  It was about how he hears it, but just decides to do something else.  It was the only thing I could think of when he decided to take Cowboy down in that fight.  There is no way that was part of the gameplan.  

20 minutes ago, supremebve said:

I can't find it, but there is a twitter video with him talking about hearing coaching while in the cage.  It was about how he hears it, but just decides to do something else.  It was the only thing I could think of when he decided to take Cowboy down in that fight.  There is no way that was part of the gameplan.  

Over half of Cowboy's wins have come by way of tapout.  Mike's got a Purple Belt in BJJ, so if I were him I'd feel comfortable on the mat but not so much that I'd risk a grappling exchange with Cerrone. 

Hopefully, my Fight IQ would be high enough that I'd realize that I didn't have the pedigree to counter or escape from a guy that could sub me in his sleep. 

i'd check his leg kicks and keep the fight standing for as long as I could given that I have one punch KO power and have never been KOed myself, while Cerrone is a punch in bunch TKO guy who has gone down a couple time in the past via strikes. 

if they could do it, certainly I could IF I did my best not to allow Cowboy to diminish my power and mobility by turning my calf muscles into hamburger.  Check those fucking leg kicks,  man.

Failing that, listening to my corner would help as I am sure they'd be screaming, "DO NOT GO TO THE GROUND WITH THAT SON OF A BITCH~!"

3 hours ago, J.T. said:

Over half of Cowboy's wins have come by way of tapout.  Mike's got a Purple Belt in BJJ, so if I were him I'd feel comfortable on the mat but not so much that I'd risk a grappling exchange with Cerrone. 

Hopefully, my Fight IQ would be high enough that I'd realize that I didn't have the pedigree to counter or escape from a guy that could sub me in his sleep. 

i'd check his leg kicks and keep the fight standing for as long as I could given that I have one punch KO power and have never been KOed myself, while Cerrone is a punch in bunch TKO guy who has gone down a couple time in the past via strikes. 

if they could do it, certainly I could IF I did my best not to allow Cowboy to diminish my power and mobility by turning my calf muscles into hamburger.  Check those fucking leg kicks,  man.

Failing that, listening to my corner would help as I am sure they'd be screaming, "DO NOT GO TO THE GROUND WITH THAT SON OF A BITCH~!"

I'm questioning that purple belt.  He looked like a fish out of water on the ground.  Cowboy swept him with by just pushing him over like a big brother, a good white belt doesn't get swept like that.  He landed in full side control which should be an advantageous position for a purple belt, but he was just pushed off with little resistance.  Wait, are we really sitting here trying to figure out what Mike Perry is thinking about?  I'm not sure he's ever had an intelligent thought.

I already said my piece on Perry when he fought Ponzinibbio last year pre-Jackson/Wink, but Perry happens to remind me of the Cerrone that went into UFC from WEC. He's a super amped, over the top fighter bro who isn't grounded in awareness. The big difference that showed up in spades on Saturday is inside the cage Cerrone in his prime was unpredictable yet everything he did made sense. Hell, watch Cerrone against Jim Miller from that Atlantic City show years back. Watch Cerrone against a Paul Kelly or Adriano Martins. Prior to going to ABQ, Perry was a pressure fighter like Cerrone but he was going to do that whether it was effective or not. He was going to fight you the same way whether he was up two rounds or down two rounds. Cerrone can pressure you and have a certain killer instinct about himself, but he has a plan B and plan C at the very least.

I don't see Mike Perry being able to have the savvy Cerrone beat him with ten years from now if he is still around. There have been numerous fighters who had UFC runs over the last fifteen or sixteen years who washed out because they couldn't develop past a certain level. I went back and watched Robbie Lawler vs. Pete Spratt from UFC on Saturday and that win over Lawler ended up being Spratt's career highlight especially in hindsight. I mean besides the horrendous, super biased commentary with Rogan and Baroni, you can tell obviously Lawler was being set up for a future title run. Spratt leg kicks him to death and not only tips over that apple cart but basically sends Lawler's first UFC run into a death spiral. He also sets off a chain reaction that gets GSP into the UFC. Anyway, that was Spratt's moment not because he was necessarily a bad fighter but Pete Spratt was good at giving you first round knockouts and submissions and being hilariously bad in terms of takedown and submission defense. Maybe in a different era, Spratt would be a much better fighter but the likelihood is slim. Some folks have the athleticism but not the innate fighter IQ, but for others it's vice versa. Some of the top fighters might have both. However, my belief is just like Spratt is that Mike Perry besides being more disciplined (based on his last two fights, that's just not walking forward all the time like a crazy person) and better coaches there is very little he could do to change who he is as a fighter at his core. And just like Spratt and several other fighters from the past, I have no problem with him being merely an entertaining fighter. Everyone can't be on the title challenger level or dare I say championship material.

6 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Cerrone can pressure you and have a certain killer instinct about himself, but he has a plan B and plan C at the very least.

I don't think I could disagree with this more.  Cerrone has no answers if he can't back his opponents up.  Darren Till, Jorge Masvidal, Rafael Dos Anjos, etc.  decided they were going to stay in the pocket and move forward no matter what Cerrone threw at them, and ended up being smashed by all three.  If he can't lead the fight, he can't win the fight.  If you look at his entire career, all of his losses are from fighters who are constantly moving forward even while defending.  He has never known what to do if his opponents don't retreat from his strikes.

Just now, supremebve said:

I don't think I could disagree with this more.  Cerrone has no answers if he can't back his opponents up.  Darren Till, Jorge Masvidal, Rafael Dos Anjos, etc.  decided they were going to stay in the pocket and move forward no matter what Cerrone threw at them, and ended up being smashed by all three.  If he can't lead the fight, he can't win the fight.  If you look at his entire career, all of his losses are from fighters who are constantly moving forward even while defending.  He has never known what to do if his opponents don't retreat from his strikes.

All those guys are also either much bigger than Cerrone (Till) and notoriously stick with it fighters (Masvidal) or just better all around (RdA). I think Cerrone early in his career had his mind set on how his fights would go. I remember the Ed Ratcliff fight and it just seemed Cerrone believed he sleepwalk through a fight because he's that much talented that he can finish the fight at anytime. Fast forward to the fight with Nate and he didn't have that option because he got swamped with activity. However, he can still go out there and put on a great showing against an Eddie Alvarez. Against Lawler and Masvidal, he looked the same as he did In the third fight with Benson. He looked uninspired and unmotivated and a bit long in the tooth. When you change weight classes and the skill level drastically changes from opponent to opponent since you fight every two months, yeah, consistency might be big issue. You can looked washed against Leon Edwards and then look scintillating in your next fight. When you fight that much and have accrued that much damage, there is no way you can carry that same energy into each and every fight. Go back and watch some of the Road to the Octagon specials where this dude is talking about fighting for his grandma and you can tell this dude is doing everything to rationalize himself still fighting. So you know it had to pain him when he had that whole tiff with the UFC/Dana because he has shown himself to be far beyond loyal. Right now, I'm done with trying to find a throughline for his performances and how he performs against certain opponents. He can do something memorable and remind you why he is so well thought of by fans or he can lay an egg.

On ‎11‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 12:08 AM, The Natural said:

On the subject of Donald Cerrone and UFC records, I'm right Cowboy holds the shortest Fight of the Night award ever vs. Melvin Guillard at UFC 150, yes? 

I think this is a true statement.  I don't believe that any of the fastest KOs or subs in UFC history garnered Fight of the Night awards.

Of course this was before the UFC started handing out Overall Performance bonuses rather than the ones that went specifically to KO's and Submissions.