DVDVR Message Board

NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 13 in Tokyo Dome 1/4/19

Raziel

I really really like seeing NJPW running such a pure, traditional face/heel match like that. It's the morality play/retributive violence stuff found in the Okada/White feud that makes up the foundation of this artform. I don't mind 31 year old veteran Kazuchika Okada missing out on a big win this year, I don't mind Jay's push being a little bit out in front of his experience level. The match had a crowd response that evoked MSG in the era of kayfabe and that's what matters.

• Like 4

If any match should have been close to those times posted on the previous page, it's this one. But it's Jericho, and I love him in New Japan, but it's going to get like 30 minutes when it should be like 15. And Omega/Tanahashi is going to be pure masturbation and go damn near an hour and I'll fall asleep because I'm not really invested in either man (especially Tanahashi).

3 minutes ago, Casey said:

If any match should have been close to those times posted on the previous page, it's this one. But it's Jericho, and I love him in New Japan, but it's going to get like 30 minutes when it should be like 15. And Omega/Tanahashi is going to be pure masturbation and go damn near an hour and I'll fall asleep because I'm not really invested in either man (especially Tanahashi).

Tanahashi's masturbation at least has nuance. I've seen him use both hands before.

12 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Match times so far via the Observer website:

• Ospreay/Ibushi (18:15)
  • Junior tag (6:54)
  • ZED S J/Ishii (11:38)
  • Heavy tag (10:16)
  • Cody/Juice (9:04)
  • Jr title (11:20)
  • Okada/Jay (14:21)

Insanity. Nothing is reaching its potential with these match times.

Those last two matches should’ve been longer for sure, otherwise I like the pace. Cody’s hurt, the first match was really great. 

I have to tap before the main event, but overall I thought things did seem a bit rushed and the results a bit predictable there was some damn fine work on display. Also as an LIJ fan it has been a very good night. Now as I go to sleep I hope that Kushida masked kid doesn't haunt my dreams. Sheesh.

• Haha 1