DVDVR Message Board

NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 13 in Tokyo Dome 1/4/19

Raziel

He really is a word choice for them to really go after. He's good, but he's not THAT good. He's not that big of a star. He doesn't really have much of a personality. I mean, he's a guy that will have good matches on Takeovers or 205 Live, but they have plenty of guys to do that.

9 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

He really is a word choice for them to really go after. He's good, but he's not THAT good. He's not that big of a star. He doesn't really have much of a personality. I mean, he's a guy that will have good matches on Takeovers or 205 Live, but they have plenty of guys to do that.

I'd rather see Kushida continue to team with Chris Sabin as Time Machine. I also don't see a lot of direction for him in the 'E. There's an inevitable team with Akira Tozawa if they ever introduce cruiser tag titles and a feud with KENTA & Ariya Daivari because all Japanese guys, with the exception of Nakamura have to either team or feud with each other.

• Like 1

WWE simply wants to cripple pro wrestling outside of its universe, plain and simple. I’m actually surprised more fans are not expressing outrage at this. 

Pro wrestling is at its strongest world wide that it’s been for years. You really can’t blame guys for taking the money, easy money at that for how much they will be used and promoted. It’s sad because we are almost establishing worldwide territories and Vince just wants to monopolise rather than let the industry breath and take guys as and when.

As a puroresu fan I’m now really seeing how important the first Okada v Omega match was and will be looked back on. It totally changed the visibility of Japanese pro wrestling worldwide and influenced the interest of fans and promoters and standards of match quality. 

For the record I don’t think Kenny will go to Vince. Not yet anyway. I don’t think AEW would be moving without him and I don’t think he would be that hypocritical. He’s on a good wicket and he has goals to kick before he does anything with Vince.

• Like 2

In terms of pure in-ring talent, KUSHIDA's one of the best in the world. Maybe in the 10-20 range. Super versatile, just lacking star presence/personality. If you want to see him work heel, check out his CMLL match with Volador Jr iirc.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, D.Z said:

1d54447847741e99d20f5bc0e447cf33f3fec033

Here's your new Junior Ace.

Is there a story behind Ishimori's eye black? Baseball players wear it under their eyes, but Ishimori's look like he was drawing sideburns on his face or a bluetooth. It drives me crazy everytime I see it. Weird things like that irk me. 

• Like 1

There's opportunity in the junior division right now for sure. Will moving up to Heavyweight, I think Marty as well (if they even really use him going forward...), Hiromu being out for who knows how long, and now KUSHIDA leaving.

Call Kawato back! I mean, maybe. I don’t really have any idea how he’s doing. 

As for Kushida, he’s the best mechanically gifted/versatile wrestler I care so little about. I’ll always watch him—or I did; I won’t now—but I never really invested. Sadly, I don’t really think Ishimori has any more organic a connection—and his gimmick isn’t any better—for all his skills. You’d figure RPG3k could go singles, and Shingo will get a run. There’s also Gresham and Bandido from ROH now. And, Hiromu will be back. 

(Just like Kenny!)

They’ll probably push Sho hard as a single soon.  The junior division is completely barren right now with Kushida gone, Ospreay moving up, Scurll likely done, Hiromu MIA for how much longer.  Literally everybody they’ve built it around the last few years is gone.

I’m here for a Desperado push, but that’s probably not gonna happen.

26 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Is there a story behind Ishimori's eye black? Baseball players wear it under their eyes, but Ishimori's look like he was drawing sideburns on his face or a bluetooth. It drives me crazy everytime I see it. Weird things like that irk me. 

His own version of soldier face paint. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

SHO, YOH and Kawato are not heavyweights. Straight-up, they just aren't, and that's OK. A healthy Hiromu, a singles-focused Despy (which I can't believe they haven't done more with), and those three keep that division going for years. Steal a guy from the indies if you get desperate, it really does always work from Sasuke to Tanaka to Tiger Mask to Kota to KUSHIDA.

I'm more worried about a post-Tanahashi heavvyweight division. I know that a long Naito will likely happen so that should buy em a year. Still, pick a midcarder to push already, commit to either SANADA or EVIL. NJPW has no other active trueborn Japanese who are "on the cusp" types + haven't won the IWGP title. Shibata woulda been nice to fit that role, but all they got is YOSHI-fuckin'-HASHI , a questionable Kota and the LIJ boys. I guess a zero-or-one defense "thank you" reign for Goto wouldn't be the worst thing, but... eh. Get Umino and Ayato into a G1 sooner than later.  DO NOT FUCK UP TSUJI. 

That Kenny thing sounds like a work. His contract expires on same day as Kushida's. One got announced openly and another is doing "got to take a break" angle. This is similar to to what he did after his first match against Okada. Like whole "I can't work under Tanahashi" line sounds something that a guy who wants revenge would say, not someone who is leaving.

And they also announced that Ibushi will be taking the next tour off due to concussion. This to me clearly implies that Ibushi is returning for at least Anniversary/NJ Cup shows.

Edit: As for juniors division, I really don't think that they would have moved to Sumo Hall if they were not 1000% sure that Hiromu is coming back.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm not worried about heavyweight division.  EVIL and SANADA are really freaking great right now all they need is a consistent push and ZSJ has been a killer the past year. Plus, they have White and Juice who are doing well and Okada,  Naito and Tana still going strong and probably Ibushi. They might be a little light in the midcard but they would still have plenty of top guys even without Kenny. That said I hope Omega stays or at least maybe signs with AEW and still appears with NJPW.  

20 minutes ago, Archibald said:

That Kenny thing sounds like a work. His contract expires on same day as Kushida's. One got announced openly and another is doing "got to take a break" angle. This is similar to to what he did after his first match against Okada. Like whole "I can't work under Tanahashi" line sounds something that a guy who wants revenge would say, not someone who is leaving.

And they also announced that Ibushi will be taking the next tour off due to concussion. This to me clearly implies that Ibushi is returning for at least Anniversary/NJ Cup shows.

Edit: As for juniors division, I really don't think that they would have moved to Sumo Hall if they were not 1000% sure that Hiromu is coming back.

I was saying to friends that this sounds like an angle the more I read it because saying he doesn't want to be under Tanahashi is the ultimate bitch move and comes off as running with his tail tucked between his legs. Not even Kenny would say stuff like that if he's really leaving, I think/hope.

I was a little surprised Hirmou didn't make a triumphant return at either of the big shows this week but if he's not ready to return to the ring what's the point other than to pop the crowd? Save that pop for later when they can then cash in on a match. Ishimori is champion or "ace" only until Hiromu is healthy. 

Iizuka is also retiring 2/21.  Suzuki-gun is gonna need somebody soon.  I think someone heel turns this year (my guess is Finlay or Henare) 

EVIL and SANADA are a great tag team, but one of them can become a singles contender easily, most likely SANADA who has a higher ceiling and more room to grow character-wise.

Kenny thing sounds like a work/take time off thing.  This might actually be the best thing for Kenny.  It would be ironic if he's taking the old Cornette advice he constantly pushes of "you can't be missed unless you're gone"- if Kenny comes back in a year the pop will be insane for it.  Also might give Jay White some breathing room and make Jay going over Kenny in a big way mean a lot more in a year's time.

22 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

I was saying to friends that this sounds like an angle the more I read it because saying he doesn't want to be under Tanahashi is the ultimate bitch move and comes off as running with his tail tucked between his legs. Not even Kenny would say stuff like that if he's really leaving, I think/hope.

I was a little surprised Hirmou didn't make a triumphant return at either of the big shows this week but if he's not ready to return to the ring what's the point other than to pop the crowd? Save that pop for later when they can then cash in on a match. Ishimori is champion or "ace" only until Hiromu is healthy. 

His statement does seem to have that sort of worked style like he's staying in character. Sort of like the stuff about him training hard for his rematch with Okada while Okada was going out fishing and on vacation beforehand.

So it wouldn't surprise me if he came back for like a Tanahashi rematch at least. But no idea.

I think that's the case right now- it explains why NYD didn't have any huge surprises- they might be waiting on Kenny's decision and have made a plan A and plan B.

I think we'll know the decision by who wins Taichi/Naito.  If Kenny stays Naito wins, if Kenny's gone Taichi wins to free up Naito for NJC.

So we're getting SANADA vs. Suzuki, ZSJ vs. EVIL, and DREAM TEAM vs. Fale/White in Sapporo on February 2nd a day ahead of the IWGP heavy and jr heavy tag title matches and Naito/Taichi for the IC strap (with Tana/Okada/YH v White/Fale/Chase as well). Okada is unsurprisingly working Fale in Osaka on the 11th in-between Taguchi/Ishimori and Tana/White. Honor Rising again this year with shows on the 22nd & 23rd. 

The last Fantasticamania show is headlined by Volador vs. Caristico, which should be rad. They're also running a 4 team FAMILY TOURNAMENT, with the winners squaring off with the Guerreros. There's Atlantis/Atlantis Jr. vs. Cuatrero/Sanson and Dragon Lee/Mistico vs. Flyer/Volador. No Roooosh this time sadly.