DVDVR Message Board

NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 13 in Tokyo Dome 1/4/19

Raziel

Watched interviews from yesterday and NYD, bunch of shit that I found somewhat interesting:

Ishimori calls Jr. title Mrs. Belt and says that he is probably angry, clearly talking about Hiromu so I take that as a hint that Hiromu is going to return.
Suzuki calls Kenny "garbage video game character".
Kushida got killed. Early in the match it looked like other two won't even get tagged in. It doesn't look like they set up anything for Ospreay?
I loved Ishii/Nagata stuff, if they have a singles match then Ishii is probably winning, if he is winning then he is being built for someone which means that we bound to get at least 2 Ishii singles matches in near future. Great.
Yujiro/Chase rolled back into BC, makes sense, but who cares. Weird that they didn't set up Ishimori/Taguchi here, or are they going to do it anyway?
Evil/Sanada vs Zack/Suzuki is great, they can have series of matches for NJPW and RevPro tag belts. And it continues building Zack/Evil rivalry.
And you know what is fucking amazing? Taichi taking down Naito and challenging for IC title. Workrate marks are probably on suicide watch.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Casey said:

I feel like Jay White is going to eventually leave the Bullet Club one way or another, he doesn't feel like an act that needs to be aligned with a stable or have his own group. The ZSJ thing is a built in story, whenever they want to go there. I do agree that Jay White is the main gaijin, though. But I don't necessarily agree that just because of that, it means that Sabre-gun can't/won't happen.

I think G1 might be where things go sour - if ZSJ, Taichi and Suzuki are all in G1 then at some point there's some kind of face-off - or else one of them isn't included and that causes problems. Where exactly that leads I'm not sure - whether it entirely suits ZSJ to lead the wacky band that is Suzuki-gun I'm not sure. I'm not even entirely sure that Sithing out Suzuki is exactly in keeping with his character - Suzuki gave him Taka to be his full-time hype man, and ZSJ seems pleased with that. I think Taichi-gun may be as likely.

Every time Taichi makes an entrance and the music playing is not Moi dix Mois' "Pageant" and he can't lip sync, you know he's both insulted and dies a little inside from such an indignation. 

I made it up to the main event before tapping out. Sad that the big takeaway from the event in terms of major angles/appearances was fucking Yujiro and Chase grovelling back to the BC. At least we get another fantastic Taichi/Naito match. I literally forgot about Yoshi-Hashi's return already until I thought about NYD more in depth just now.

7 hours ago, Casey said:

I feel like Jay White is going to eventually leave the Bullet Club one way or another, he doesn't feel like an act that needs to be aligned with a stable or have his own group. 

He has to be in a stable, because everybody in NJPW has to be in a stable.  Everybody has to have logical dance partners for the undercard tags.  That's why he was in CHAOS up until he joined BC.

2 minutes ago, EVA said:

He has to be in a stable, because everybody in NJPW has to be in a stable.  Everybody has to have logical dance partners for the undercard tags.  That's why he was in CHAOS up until he joined BC.

He literally even said that. It'd be cool if he was the one guy who didn't gel with the system though the BC works for now.

Edit: btw, is there any news on a TAKA/TAICHIMANIA 3 this year?

11 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Every time Taichi makes an entrance and the music playing is not Moi dix Mois' "Pageant" and he can't lip sync, you know he's both insulted and dies a little inside from such an indignation. 

I made it up to the main event before tapping out. Sad that the big takeaway from the event in terms of major angles/appearances was fucking Yujiro and Chase grovelling back to the BC. At least we get another fantastic Taichi/Naito match. I literally forgot about Yoshi-Hashi's return already until I thought about NYD more in depth just now.

You really should check out the main event, if only to see YH wander aimlessly to the ring with his patented dead-eyed stare, look kinda sloppy and very unmotivated, and then lose. It’s perfect. 

Taichi is the perfect opponent for Naito here. They work great together, first of all; but as importantly, he can BS the title off of him if need be, or lose without being remotely hurt. 

This won’t happen, but Josh Barnett has tweeted he wants one more match with Nagata before they’re both done; Nagata got to look pretty good today; you could run that match and then Barnett/White.

A little surprised Ospreay didn’t get a challenger. Maybe it depends on what Omega and Ibushi are doing?

While wandering twitter found this:

Dugz1iqVYAE-bB8.jpg

This was after the last Road To WK show. So it was under our noses all the time.

And I'm thinking, Taichi was left off G1, defeated Goto immediately and went with his "man who was not good enough to be in G1" angle. Now he wasn't good enough for WK and he is going to challenge another champion.

Speaking about Yoshi, I think this reddit thread name sums it up perfectly: Only Yoshi-Hashi could return from injury, team with Okada and Tanahashi, debut a new finisher and still get pinned.
I doubt that he is going to use that new move as a finisher, but thats nitpicking. Honestly Yoshi, for me, is quickly moving from bland midcard jobber to "so bad it is good" territory.

Nagata/Barnett/White stuff sounds interesting and yeah, not going to happen. But if it did it would be decent filler for White who is probably losing to Tanahashi and will need something to bounce back a bit.

Didn't Tanahashi win the title to be the last Heisei Era champion and how that's a big thing for him and native fans? I guess it would make Jay's win extra shocking, but I hope he doesn't get it quite yet.

Okay, even just watching the start of the NYD main event and it's clear that Jay White is the perfect opponent for Hiroshi Tanahashi at this point in time. Unlike Kenny, Jay is incredibly at home at being a full on wiener heel that plays head games and that suits Tanahashi's black and white ideals far better than the shades of grey stuff they did for WK. While White isn't in Omega's class in-ring (yet), he is a better fit for Tanahashi and a better out and out heel. Their match should have tremendous crowd reactions especially if White & Gedo start turning the screws with underhanded tactics. Meanwhile, Okada is the perfect opponent for Omega as we've obviously seen the past two years. Neither man is content with being outright evil or good and even their wrestling styles mesh perfectly.

Now it's time for White to take that next step by having a classic match with Tanahashi that exceeds that "great but not quite there" plateau their two most recent matches hit. I think he can do it.

Oh, and Yoshi-Hashi still has the personality of a wet dish cloth.

Oh oh, and Gedo is a wonderful wrestler. He cracks me up every single damn time.

2 hours ago, Raziel said:

I'm not convinced that White is gonna lose.  

Neither am I. I really don't want White to win it now, but, after complaining about how last year we had to convince ourselves why Sanada/Zack could beat Okada, I'm happy that NJPW created situation where it looks very possible for White to win it.

16 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Now it's time for White to take that next step by having a classic match with Tanahashi that exceeds that "great but not quite there" plateau their two most recent matches hit. I think he can do it.

I think that each their match has been better than previous one so this one likely can crack it. KoPW match was close to it, but I think nobody bought that White could main event WK and it hurt the match. Now I expect crowd to go nuclear if it'll look that White is getting upper hand.

I think Tanahashi gets past White, but... I’m not sure. Jericho has already challenged him also, and Tana made it known he was sort of offended such a Global Superstar like Jericho-saaaaaaaaan focused instead on Kenny and Naito. I guess I’m saying I think that’s a likely MSG main event, but there can’t be a Switchblade Shock—his ascent is too obvious for that. That is, Jay could just win. I also think it’s worth noting that White and Naito have been kept apart, and that seems to be continuing. Jay’s beaten Kenny, Okada, and Tana already... maybe next January he’ll be the obstacle for Naito’s ultimate triumph. 

I’d be totally okay with White winning it. We don’t need another long Tana reign, and Okada can most definitely win the belt from White to get his win back prior to the G1. White gets his moment in the sun, and is now considered legit. We later can get Naito winning the briefcase, which leads to Okada Vs. Naito at the Dome III. This all seems like the most likely outcome.

21 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Top three matches from Wrestle Kingdom 13.

1. Tanahashi vs. Omega. 

2. White vs. Okada. 

3. Jericho vs. Naito.

Tanahashi/Omega makes my top five main events from Wrestle Kingdom.

I think I'd replace White/Okada with Ospreay/Ibushi. I don't what it is, but something just isn't clicking for me with Jay White. Maybe it's his ringwork. He's great at being a slimy, scumbag heel. That match should have been hate filled, but I didn't get that feeling at all. 

I'm not that excited about a Tanahashi/White feud, and I love Tanahashi.

• Like 2