DVDVR Message Board

NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 13 in Tokyo Dome 1/4/19

Raziel

15 minutes ago, DreamBroken said:

F'n loved the top two matches. Jericho's entrance attire and entrance in general is epic. I knew there was no way Jericho was winning but I was still rooting for him and almost bought the second Codebreaker as the finish. Really fun back and forth match. Always look forward to what Jericho does next in this run. Tanahashi/Omega delivered the excellence. Both guys took some brutal shots and bumps... Omega's crash landing dive on the ramp sounded killer while Tanahashi's High Fly Flow thru the table looked so as well. The ending may not have been high drama as far as what it would take to keep Omega down, but I loved the visual of both guys dead laid out next to each other on the mat afterwards. Really hope it's not the end of Omega in NJPW, I felt like his reign seemed somewhat short considering the chase he had to it but it still feels like there's a lot more interesting matches/stories for him to keep having. I feel in the minority of still being a fan of Cody, always comes off like a star from his entrance and usually enjoy him in the ring as well. This Cody/Juice match did feel a bit rushed through but not bad and a satisfying decisive win for Juice.

Meta post but check out Kenny quoting Mr. fucking Spock for his grad write-up in the third image.

• Like 3

Paused to go to dinner, but am now up to the Okada/Switchblade match.

Top 2 highlights so far:

1) Suzuki going after Kevin Kelly in the pre-show

2) The shocked cheer from the crowd when Okada takes off his entrance gear to reveal the shorts.

1 minute ago, Oyaji said:

Are you suggesting quoting Mr. Spock in a yearbook is embarrassing?

The Mentallo quote is pretty great. I saw him at a show a month ago and he was rocking some pretty sweet X-Men styled gear.

2 hours ago, Oyaji said:

My heart can't take this shit, guys. The anticipation is killing me. I really shouldn't try to stay up for this but I'm going to try and stay up for this.

One of the very few advantages of getting out of work around 1 am most nights: I'm gonna go hit Walmart, go home, take a shower and watch NYD.

--------

About the elbow to the head: yeah, that's probably not something that should be doing. But at least they weren't dropping each other on their heads all night like Will was doing every match for a long time. Progress?

1 hour ago, EVA said:

Still less embarrassing than the guy who quoted Everclear lyrics.

I have a confession to make. I like "Father of Mine" because I can relate to it. Well, except for being a scared white boy in a black neighborhood.

4 hours ago, Oyaji said:

edit: plus, the above poster can easily be altered to replace Tanahashi with Omega should he stay.

Those big squares represent big four. If he is replacing anyone on it then it is White. But either way they are not going to alter poster, I think. My gut feel is that even if Omega stays he is going to be pushed down a bit and for 2019 would be involved with IC, USA or Tag titles.

I was a bit tired when I watched the match last night, but am I right that there was no Aoi Shoudou, Double Underhook Piledriver or Croyt's Wrath?

If so, he eliminated the most egregious bits of his offence which is 1) what Tanahashi would have approved of, 2) took him a lot closer to the style he'd probably wrestle in WWE.

Omega about to make DATSTINGMONEY~! I think. Hopefully it's only a 3 year deal and there's some light at the end of the tunnel, because I really hate the idea of Omega finishing his career there.

• Like 1

I want to add to the Jericho love. Guy was a deity coming out there - the idea that he's the G.O.A.T is obviously ridiculous but he is legitimately the larger than life living legend and the 'BITWAWID'. Will be interesting to see him in AEW, though I think WWE will be thinking they can maybe help him out on that next cruise.

11 minutes ago, ComingToAmerica said:

I want to add to the Jericho love. Guy was a deity coming out there - the idea that he's the G.O.A.T is obviously ridiculous but he is legitimately the larger than life living legend and the 'BITWAWID'. Will be interesting to see him in AEW, though I think WWE will be thinking they can maybe help him out on that next cruise.

I think he's making a strong case for himself on All-time lists by how successfully he keeps reinventing himself. At least as a character.

• Like 1

Ospreay/Ishii/Goto vs KUSHIDA/Cobb/Nagata was really good. Rocky Romero providing some additional context on that elbow from last night on Ibushi, saying the members of CHAOS, specifically Baretta, told Ospreay the elbow might be going too far when they originally saw it in ROH. Neat little bit of storytelling, I always love Rocky on commentary. Now Ishii and Nagata are exchanging slaps after the match! I don't really care for Ishii but I love me some Yuji Nagata, so I'm down for that match on one of these upcoming cards.

Juice/Finlay vs Best Friends was good too, but it was more about the impending Best Friends implosion than anything else I thought. Which I just don't want to see, period.