DVDVR Message Board

NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 13 in Tokyo Dome 1/4/19

Raziel

I just finished the young bucks tag, so I’m cruising right along through the show. I’ve seen some good stuff in this match and in some of the matches before it.

But I will say that I didn’t even realize that I would get my money’s worth just by seeing Nagata and Suzuki stand in the middle of the ring and slap TF out of each other. I could’ve turned the show off right then following that, and I would’ve been happy.

I probably would have fast forwarded the Cody Rhodes match anyway, but I cheated and read a couple of pages in this thread. So I think I’ll go ahead and skip it for sure.

White/Okada was terrific. It really helps when the crowd is behind everything that the guys are doing and responding just as they should (booing the heel, getting caught up in nearfalls, etc).

Reminds me why it’s so hard to watch something like 205 Live, where the guys will pull off some really cool spots - and the crowd will just sit on their hands or surf their cell phones.

Jericho/Naito hype vid over. (Is Naito a coolass mofo, or what?) 

*checks time* 1h38m left for two matches!

2 minutes ago, FlaeBlazer said:

Tana winning wasn’t as much of a hype moment as I thought it would be. I can’t pinpoint why. Especially compared to G1 where it was such a beautiful moment.

47 minutes ago, Raziel said:

I don’t think the predictability of the match hurt it for me. For example, at WK 10, everybody and their mother knew that Okada was going over Tana but it still was an absolutely awesome, iconic moment.

I dunno. There was just something off here. I think the finish was really anti-climactic. Tana’s win came out of nowhere while at G1, he won at an absolute dramatic peak.

• Like 3

Also... I mean I’m not saying it’s a work, since the elbow clearly connected, and concussions really can’t ever be truly minor... but the announcers seemed really nonplussed, the stretcher pretty lackadaisical, and a key plot point in the Kenny’s Quest video was that Ibushi wasn’t there to help him. I couldn’t figure out why he might miss at the time—and I kinda still don’t get it—but there was foreshadowing. I hope we get a clearer picture in a few hours.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, FlaeBlazer said:

I don’t think the predictability of the match hurt it for me. For example, at WK 10, everybody and their mother knew that Okada was going over Tana but it still was an absolutely awesome, iconic moment.

I dunno. There was just something off here. I think the finish was really anti-climactic. Tana’s win came out of nowhere while at G1, he won at an absolute dramatic peak.

I agree and I think that's the only thing holding it back from an all-time great match. The rest of it was absolutely brilliant.

Just now, Curt McGirt said:

I know, but was a freakin' RABBIT ELBOW, which concussed him. Nobody should be hitting each other full-blast in the back of the head. I draw the line there.

Fair enough. It seems a problem with the style more than any particular individual though. This is what happens as a result of our love for the craziness that is SNAPPED IBUSHI.

My heart can't take this shit, guys. The anticipation is killing me. I really shouldn't try to stay up for this but I'm going to try and stay up for this.

Look, I really enjoy Jay's act and he's different from Omega, Styles, and Devitt... but, he's not ready for the push they're going to be giving him. He's not far enough off that it's going to tank but from bell-to-bell, he's just not at the stage where he can reach the bar those guys set yet (well, maybe Devitt but even then). I am already speaking as if Kenny is gone. :( It's not as if he has to make his decision tonight, so I could see us getting something far less concrete than him getting murder death killed by White or whomever. I'm surprised Cody and the boyz haven't leaked how the meeting went. I need to know for my mental well being (yes, I am pathetic but it's fun being a real fan of a wrestler as an adult).

edit: plus, the above poster can easily be altered to replace Tanahashi with Omega should he stay.

• Like 2

F'n loved the top two matches. Jericho's entrance attire and entrance in general is epic. I knew there was no way Jericho was winning but I was still rooting for him and almost bought the second Codebreaker as the finish. Really fun back and forth match. Always look forward to what Jericho does next in this run. Tanahashi/Omega delivered the excellence. Both guys took some brutal shots and bumps... Omega's crash landing dive on the ramp sounded killer while Tanahashi's High Fly Flow thru the table looked so as well. The ending may not have been high drama as far as what it would take to keep Omega down, but I loved the visual of both guys dead laid out next to each other on the mat afterwards. Really hope it's not the end of Omega in NJPW, I felt like his reign seemed somewhat short considering the chase he had to it but it still feels like there's a lot more interesting matches/stories for him to keep having. I feel in the minority of still being a fan of Cody, always comes off like a star from his entrance and usually enjoy him in the ring as well. This Cody/Juice match did feel a bit rushed through but not bad and a satisfying decisive win for Juice.

• Like 1