DVDVR Message Board

NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 13 in Tokyo Dome 1/4/19

Raziel

5 hours ago, FlaeBlazer said:

Omega/Tana was great like I said but I definitely wouldn’t consider it among the best matches of either’s career.

In fact, their one match in 2016 was better than this.

I dunno, it’s really weird that Tana winning G1 felt like a way bigger moment than him winning in the fucking Dome. Maybe it’s just cause the Ibushi match was way better. When Tana won G1, I was losing my mind and it seemed everyone else was. With this one, the consensus seems to be “wow that’s cool”. Even the crowd didn’t really pop that much when the final bell rang, it seemed the finish came out of nowhere to them too.

I think that was more folks expected Ibushi to win the G1, so Tana winning was a huge surprise.  The AEW announce, I'm sure the Japanese fans knew, and with the right of the Elite jobbing, I think most were expecting Tana to win, so the pop wasn't as huge.  I think the two matches were pretty even in terms of quality- the Kenny match maybe a bit better technically, but the Ibushi match had more heart and the unexpected outcome, and a good unexpected outcome that's logical is going to be remembered better.

17 minutes ago, sevendaughters said:

Cornette is doing his in character bitch about that modern wrestling thing but to be fair to the old goat Ibushi IS doing a Golden Triangle to absolutely no one when Ospreay kicks him from the apron.

Can someone just put Jim Cornette down already? 

I'm just starting Wrestle Kingdom now. I had an early day.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Can someone just put Jim Cornette down already? 

I'm just starting Wrestle Kingdom now. I had an early day.

I have stayed out of this thread because I won't start watching the show until this evening. But I wanted to come here and mention the Cornette kerfuffle on twitter. It amuses me. 

I listen to both of Corny's podcasts most weeks. But I always have to remember that if one hated everything about rasslin as much as he seems to, it would make for a sad fan-life of watching nothing but the same MX matches over and over and over. 

• Like 1

3 other takeaways.  First is this is the first Wrestle Kingdom where Every Belt on the line changed hands.  Second is that it's nice to see RPW take the lead in the "Who's NJPW's biggest bitch" competition with RoH by making the new RPW belt almost exactly like the NEVER belts.  3rd, I think the announcement of AEW took the Elite's matches from "likely" result to "foregone conclusion" and that killed a lot of the tension because you knew all of them were losing, you knew Jericho wasn't sticking around with the IC belt longer, and knew the newer acts were going to get pushed.  That, along with the short times on every match not the main pretty much dragged this down from feeling like a major Dome show that's supposed to be a Level up turning point and turned it into a Spring PPV level show.  There was really nothing that made it "feel" like it was a Dome show.

Okada/White needed more time to tell the story they were trying to tell with the Return of the Rainmaker failing here, but there's always tomorrow to bookend that.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, sevendaughters said:

thing is surely New Japan haven't gone so fully HAM for 19/20 if they do not have some serious star power lined up. Tanahashi/Naito on top for G1 Dallas is drawing 6k tops.

The Dallas show is actually Night 1 of the G1 this time, and not just a de facto road-to show, right? If that's the case, there will at least be more singles matches; but you're not getting any special attraction talent in them, since they wouldn't be competing in the rest of the tourney.

But I hope you're right, even if I can't really think of who they could land (especially by then). Presumably the G1 field will look a bit like it did last year, with the only realistic big add/loss being Ospreay/Omega, respectively.

For all that we (rightly!) disregard Cornette's "analysis," he is right that the backstage/free agent maneuvering is sometimes more easy to invest in than the on-screen product, because that's the last thing we can really believe in. The drama of who will win and who will even show up are, of course, greatly informed by this. And so in some respects the NJPW/ROH/AEW meeting is the main event of this weekend.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Tromatagon said:

Kenny showed us all what playing video games with pacifist playthroughs as an option gets you in life.

No belts

If he came out to the music from level 2 of Bad Dudes Tanahashi still wouldn't be moving.

Uh, yeah!

• Like 2

My big worry was the double Dome shows is this. NJPW cards have been spread thinner and thinner as they have added more and more shows. Wrestle Kingdom and Dominion are the only shows left that are really top to bottom supercards. If the the shows are split apart, they both will probably take a hit in quality. I don’t want an IC Title headlining night 1 and IWGP headlining night 2. I want all the biggest matches on one show. It’s still unclear where they are doing two nights of Wrestle Kingdom or WK and then New Year’s Dash in the Dome. I really hope it’s the latter. I have no interest in seeing them spread out the Wrestle Kingdom card across two nights. 

• Like 1

Tanahashi or Okada vs. Naito one night for the IWGP and Ibushi vs. Kenny for the IC the other would do be one way of doing it. You can run a golden lovers tag the other night and a dream team tag match the other. Prices will probably need to be dropped a bit too. 

I'm deliberating on whether I should go or not. I'd probably have to miss a day of work though. 

2 minutes ago, sevendaughters said:

imagine if match 5 had been Kitamura just crushing the hell out of Goto (or Cody even) in 5 minutes, proper A Star Is Born territory

Only in dreams sadly. Maybe one day though. I may pop more for his return than I will for Hiromu's. 

The only AEW/New Japan fantasy booking I want now is Goldberg being served up for Kitamura. 

But yeah I can’t see the other feds helping New Japan sell out two nights. I suspect they can manage good attendance anyway, but I don’t know how you handle keeping a roster that over all year. Guys inevitably go weeks or even months on the back burner, sit tournaments out, etc.

It would have to be WK split as they have done with Dontaku. NYD is always fun but it’s essentially a glorified house show and who really wants to sit in the dome and watch a bunch of six-man tags.

Personally it’s a horrible idea and destroys the mystique of 1/4. Business wise however I guess you have too many punters not to see if this works. Would be nuts to try and move NYD to another building so the reality is this is the only option that make sense.

• Like 1

Keeping in mind the significant guys left off the main show into the Pre-show, and the significant guys not on the show at all, you could probably, with NJPW's roster, spread the show over 2 days, have the matches be meaningful, and give more time to the larger matches.

That's not even going for the RoH, RPW, and possibly AEW guys.