DVDVR Message Board

NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 13 in Tokyo Dome 1/4/19

Raziel

Interesting thing to ponder, they have 4 biggish shows upcoming: 2 in Sapporo, 1 in Osaka and few in USA, but I think only one is actually bigger.

Now each of those shows needs title defence to headline. We got, most likely: Juice/Beretta for USA, Naito/Suzuki and Tanahashi/White for two Japan shows. And last champ is Ospreay? Is he ready to headline, most likely, Day 1 Sapporo? And who could be his challenger?

1 minute ago, Archibald said:

And last champ is Ospreay? Is he ready to headline, most likely, Day 1 Sapporo? And who could be his challenger?

I think they need to find out. If he moves tickets while holding the NEVER title, well, they've got something. I think either Goto or (preferably) Ishii would make a good first challenge for an in-between class guy like Ospreay. Show he can slug it out with a traditional NEVER title holder and then let him carve his own identity. When he's back, Hiromu needs to get a shot, and a couple bigger juniors--Shingo, SHO--should also.

Match of the Night was Kenny Omega vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi. Glad Ace won as I'd hoped. 

I preferred Chris Jericho/Tetsuya Naito II to the original and Omega/Jericho a year ago at Wrestle Kingdom 12.

I was pleasantly surprised how Kazuchika Okada vs. Jay White turned out, not because I doubted Okada as he's the best in the world but more White. Probably my second or third favourite match from the show. Least Knife Pervert didn't drop a stinker like he did a year ago. 

Hot athletic opener in Will Ospreay vs. Kota Ibushi. Shame he got concussed.

Show flew by when compared to WWE events of the same length. Some matches needed more time while others required trimming.

I didn't have a problem with the shorter match times for the midcard.  I guess the shorter run time might have made the show seem less "epic" than last years, but, at the same time, I think matches like Tanahashi/White and the Junior 4-way didn't need to go as long as they did and, in fact, were hurt by seeming to go on forever.  Naito/Jericho was better match than Omega/Jericho and was, like, 15 minutes shorter, to boot.

Like, maybe the 2 tag title matches could've found another gear with an extra 5 minutes or so to work with, but did they really need to?  And could they not just as easily have turned into a meandering mess like the Junior 4-way from last year?  As it was, they accomplished what they needed to and got outta there.

The only match that I think you could argue should have gotten more time was Okada/White, based on its incoming hype and place on the card.  However, I think the length of that one was probably a strategic decision to absolutely, positively make sure White didn't have another high-profile WK flop that could derail this push.

One interesting thing that might be completely irrelevant. Arena that they announced for G1 first night is same arena where Dallas Mavericks are playing. And those who don't know, Cuban is CEO of AXS tv and an owner of Dallas Mavericks. As I said, might be nothing, but might hint at something as well.

• Like 1

Another potential factor in the shorter matches:  In most of those, the guys who lost are either on their way out of the company or are rumored to possibly be. (Apparently that may include Okada, based on what some prominent Wrestler Tweeters have been hinting at since last night.) 

So it might be a case of putting over the guys who are sticking around, definitively.

1 hour ago, Ramsey said:

By the way.....goddamn Cody matches are a chore. Here's hoping he's a better "suit" than he is an in-ring worker.

The lines for the bathrooms behind home plate and down left field were so big that they met in the middle during this match.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3