DVDVR Message Board

NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 13 in Tokyo Dome 1/4/19

Raziel

1 hour ago, Oyaji said:

Jay and Fergal vs. Golden Lovers tho. If I never saw another GoD match that would be okay by me.

I want to see two more GoD matches. Them dropping the tag titles, and GoD/Ishimori dropping the six-man titles. They can fuck off after that, and take Fale with them.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Yeah, I'm on board with everybody but Kota and Kenny leaving for their own promotion or WWE. I could see Kenny wanting to work some of those shows should the Bucks actually start their own company, which could be interesting.

I know I'm not the first person to bring this up here but hasn't Nakamura laughed off ideas of him returning to Japan? I think Balor is way likelier at this stage and though clearly Meltzer and Balor aren't on the best of terms with the whole "OVER" bullshit, that top WWE guy who was offered more money for fewer dates by NJPW likely has to be Finn, right?

Finn or Nakamura were my guesses.

Nakamura and Balor sound like obvious picks considering their history with NJPW and the fact that both of them have already kinda peaked in WWE. But, if someone said earlier last year that WWE wrestler is going to NJPW, how many would have guessed that it is Jericho?

I wouldn't mind if Nakamura or Balor returned, but at the same time I feel like NJPW might interested in someone else.

Itami/KENTA would be fun, and they need someone to fill the Shibata-sized “resident recklessly stiff jerk” hole in the upper-mid-card. I’d also like to see Karl Anderson get a main-adjacent singles run before his career winds down, but I’m not sure that moves the needle. 

In any case, I know Dave said “star” and neither of those guys exactly qualify, but.

Oh, obligatory Rusev mention here.

I’d prefer Nakamura to Finn, and he’d be a bigger get—Devitt was never really a main eventer, before leaving—but I think the latter is probably more likely. No family to move, for one, and he seems less semi-retired. Nak’s got a good check, good surfing, and pretty low expectations these days. He seems cool with that.

12 hours ago, sevendaughters said:

I would gladly have Devitt back. Potentially resets Bullet Club, provided everyone else slated to leave does so. He'd have to be a heavyweight though.

The potential of Devitt & Jay White vs. The Golden Lovers excites me. There'd also be the possiblity of Switchblade, GoD, and Fale stabbing Devitt in the back for going soft and running off, with the Elite coming to Devitt's aid.

13 hours ago, sevendaughters said:

I would gladly have Devitt back. Potentially resets Bullet Club, provided everyone else slated to leave does so. He'd have to be a heavyweight though.

Eh, I'd rather not see BC reset.  They need to move on.  Get rid of GoD and Fale, nuke the Elite, and then build around Jay White taking more leadership responsibility.  I am also digging Hangman Page in his role as enforcer more than I ever did when he was wandering aimless in RoH.

I also want to see more of Eagles and Ishimori tagging up.

I am still a huge Kenny Omega mark, but I think the experiment should be end. I believe it's time to put the belt on Tanahashi.  He should ride the G1 Climax wave all the way to the title.

not necessarily brimming with the idea of a BC reset but if the Elite leave and the OGz are left then that is what we have if Devitt turns up. More or less. It's weird though, BC is impervious to hip fan critique. I have a student who wears a BC hoodie week-in, week-out. It's still making money and I think not even NJPW are too cool to turn down money.

If he returns then I'm not sure if it really would be a reset. NJPW already got a new leader for BC, he is 100% their product and they are pushing him rather hard. Would be very weird if next year we suddenly got returning Devitt and he'd become a leader. On the other hand we never got a proper leadership transition in Bullet Club. When AJ debuted Devitt was already gone, Omega/YBs dropped AJ after the match in 5 minutes long segment, and this year we got big BC civil war that was a mess and nobody even knows if it has ended already or not.

So suppose Devitt returns and they establish master-apprentice relationship between him and White that they hinted a bit during those weird "HE WAS OUR UNDERCOVER GUY FOR 50 YEARS"" post match interviews. And well, few months later, apprentice doesn't think that master is needed any longer. Tongans could have a point about how Devitt left them, but now he wants it back as if nothing happened. If NJPW doesn't want to put the title on White next year then such story could easily occupy him and result with a big win over Devitt at WK14.

52 minutes ago, EVA said:

I suspected that belt would be defended at WK.  Should be a great one.

But, damn, Zack really sat on that rematch clause for a while.

So, WTF is Suzuki gonna do?

We got 6 matches right now. The card will almost certainly be 10 matches. That means we have 4 slots left.

NEVER Title

US Title

IWGP Tag

Six-Man Titles Gauntlet

We can cross out the Tag Titles, him and Iizuka aren’t winning WTL. The NEVER Title isn’t happening. It’s either gonna be Goto vs. Ibushi or Ospreay vs. Ibushi. The US Title would make no sense. How could they shoehorn a feud with Cody?

Holy shit, it looks like Minoru is going to the “get everyone on the card” gauntlet match.

I'd put money on MiSu getting into the Six-Man Gauntlet with Iizuka and Taichi or something along those lines before they stick him into the Rumble.  I wouldn't be shocked if the US Belt doesn't make the show, and really, it should probably stay rotating around the US Indies and NXT RoH, or possibly anchor the Road To show or semi-main New Year's Dash.  

If I had to guess now, I'd say the 6 Man match would be Suzuki/Iizuka/Taichi vs. Fale/GoD vs. Scurll/Page/Owens vs. Taguchi/ACH/Sabin or something like that.  Maybe replace the juniors with Makabe/Henare/Honma.

34 minutes ago, Raziel said:

I'd put money on MiSu getting into the Six-Man Gauntlet with Iizuka and Taichi or something along those lines before they stick him into the Rumble.  I wouldn't be shocked if the US Belt doesn't make the show, and really, it should probably stay rotating around the US Indies and NXT RoH, or possibly anchor the Road To show or semi-main New Year's Dash.  

If I had to guess now, I'd say the 6 Man match would be Suzuki/Iizuka/Taichi vs. Fale/GoD vs. Scurll/Page/Owens vs. Taguchi/ACH/Sabin or something like that.  Maybe replace the juniors with Makabe/Henare/Honma.

There is no way in hell that they are leaving Cody and the US Title off the show. The guy just main evented KOPW and has gotten several IWGP Title shoes. I’m not a fan of him at all but NJPW clearly sees him as an important player.

Also how will GOD be in the six man if they are the tag champs?

9 minutes ago, Raziel said:

Yeah, I forgot GoD are the Tag Champs,  but they're also the 6 man champs now, so they'll have to drop them at the WTL final if they dont make it or at Road To WK.

I assume they will just do Cody/Juice rematch for the US Title? I really don’t see any other potential viable challengers and it’s not like Cody will show up to build a new feud either.

Mostly there’s a sentiment that they’re not around much, and despite/because of that, they hijack things a bit. Speaking just for myself: Champ Kenny has indulged Challenger Kenny’s more annoying tendencies, both in-ring and on the mic/twitter. I don’t want him gone; I just want him to learn star ratings aren’t compelling character motivation.

As for Suzuki: The six-man titles are about where he should be. I know he’s still intermittently capable of greatness, but he’s also finally starting to wrestle his age. 

• Like 2

I would love to see Minoru going after the six man titles, and just beat the piss out of Tama and Loa. 

I don't really care who the GoD drop the tag titles to, as long as they drop them sooner than later. I'd like to see the Best Friends get a run with them.

This is probably the first time that I can say this about an NJPW show in the current era: the midcard matches look better than the headliners. Omega/Tanahashi will probably be MOTN but KUSHIDA/Ishimori, ZSJ/Ishii, and presumably Ibushi/Ospreay all look way better to me than Naito/Jericho and Okada/White.

Okada vs. White will rule and you will eat crow, brother. I also say this as somebody who doesn't get Ishimori's appeal other than those abs. I give no shits about his character and he is a classic case of style over substance, but I don't even dig his style all that much.

ZSJ vs. Ishii will be phenomenal as all of their matches dating back to the US title tournament have been. But Omega vs. Tanahashi? Win or lose, this match will define Omega's reign and make the less than stellar past 5 months  forgivable (and let's not pretend his G1 was anything but amazing).

I thought Ibushi was working Goto for the belt nobody wants? Ospreay is hurt isn't he?

• Like 1