DVDVR Message Board

NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 13 in Tokyo Dome 1/4/19

Raziel

Wrestle Kingdom 13.  1/4/2019 Tokyo Dome, Tokyo

Main Event: IWGP Heavyweight Championship 

"Best Bout Machine" Kenny Omega (The Elite) (c) vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi (G1 Climax 28 Winner)

IWGP Intercontinental Championship - No Disqualification

Chris Jericho (FREE) (c) vs. Tetsuya Naito (Los Ingobernables de Japon)

Special  Singles Match 

"Rainmaker" Kazuchika Okada (CHAOS) vs. "Switchblade" Jay White (BC Firing Squad)

IWGP Junior Heavyweight Championship 

KUSHIDA (c) vs. Taiji Ishimori (BC Firing Squad)

IWGP United States Championship

"The American Nightmare" Cody (The Elite) (c) vs. "The Flamboyant" Juice Robinson

IWGP Heavyweight Tag Team Championship Three Way 

Gurerllias of Destiny (Tama Tonga & Tanga Loa) (BC Firing Squad) (c) vs. Los Ingobernables de Japon (EVIL & SANADA) (2018 World Tag League Winners) vs The Young Bucks (Matt & Nick Jackson) (The Elite)

RPW British Heavyweight Championship

Tomohiro Ishii (CHAOS) (c) vs. Zack Sabre Jr. (Suzui-gun)

IWGP Junior Heavyweight Tag Team Championship 3 Way Match

Yoshinobu Kanemaru & El Desperado (Suzuki-gun) (c) vs. Roppongi 3K (SHO & YOH) (CHAOS) vs. BUSHI & Shingo Takagi (Los Ingobernables de Japon)

NEVER Openweight Championship

Kota Ibushi (c) vs. Will Ospreay (CHAOS)

Pre-Show: Gauntlet Match for #1 Contendership of the NEVER Openweight Six Man Tag Team Championship

Teams:

Ryusuke Taguchi (Taguchi Japan), Toro Yano (CHAOS), & Togi Makabe (GBH)

Yuji Nagata, Jeff Cobb, & David Finlay

CHAOS (Hirooki Goto, Beretta, & Chuckie T)

Suzuki-gun (Minori Suzuki, Davey Boy Smith Jr, & Lance Archer)

The Elite (Marty Scurll, Yujiro Takahashi, & Hangman Page)

Looking forward to the main event hoping that Hiroshi Tanahashi gets one last run with the IWGP Heavyweight Championship. Tanahashi > Omega.

If Tanahashi wins, it be his first Wrestle Kingdom main event victory in four years. Tanahashi beat Okada at Wrestle Kingdom 9 to retain the IWGP Heavyweight Championship.

8 minutes ago, Godfrey said:

Omega/Tanahashi needs to deliver big time since Kenny's first few defenses have been lackluster for one reason or another.

I imagine Tanahashi will limit Kenny’s dumb bullshit to a minimum.

Anyway, the fact that the NEVER Title match wasn’t announced, suggests that Goto drops it before WK.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Beech27 said:

I think we got a little preview of Kenny/Tanahashi in their tag match: Dragon screw versus V-trigger. Either the former will render the latter unusable or it won't, and that will decide the match. It'll be great.

Kenny isn’t selling that leg work down the stretch and you know it.

Something that I just realized is that the heavyweight tag match is probably gonna be a 3 way too. It’s gonna be GOD vs. WTL winners vs. The Bucks. Bucks aren’t missing that match especially with contract negotiations going on. 

2 hours ago, FlaeBlazer said:

Anyway, the fact that the NEVER Title match wasn’t announced, suggests that Goto drops it before WK.

Last year Suzuki/Goto was set up during the WTL so probably same thing is going to happen this year too. After all, WTL needs some "important" stuff as well.

And yeah, I wrote about it in PS thread, we are probably getting GoD/YBs/SanadaEvil for heavyweight tags at WK because they sure as hell ain't sticking Evil in pre-show rumble and he doesn't have anything else to do now.

1 hour ago, FlaeBlazer said:

Kenny isn’t selling that leg work down the stretch and you know it.

Eh, I don't know it. It's pretty clear he never chooses to put together matches based around limb-work, but Omega's more likely to oversell things in a hammy fashion than outright no sell. I would be more concerned he makes goofy faces and limps/hobbles into a match deciding v-trigger or two. I say "would be" because I'm not really concerned. There are virtually zero possible matches in wrestling that I'm more certain will be at least great. Kenny's thin skinned and annoying on twitter, but he's still one of the best finishing run architects going; and Tana isn't closing out his last dome show with anything sub-classic. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Archibald said:

Last year Suzuki/Goto was set up during the WTL so probably same thing is going to happen this year too. After all, WTL needs some "important" stuff as well.

And yeah, I wrote about it in PS thread, we are probably getting GoD/YBs/SanadaEvil for heavyweight tags at WK because they sure as hell ain't sticking Evil in pre-show rumble and he doesn't have anything else to do now.

I was thinking Suzuki/ZSJ for WTL winners. What are they gonna do in the Dome?

4 hours ago, FlaeBlazer said:

I imagine Tanahashi will limit Kenny’s dumb bullshit to a minimum.

I hope so, but I doubt it. I think Kenny at his best is amazing, but come hell or high water, that dude is going to hit 7 V-triggers and a double-underhook piledriver that looks like it should kill a man for a heatless nearfall that he acts shocked by. And it'll still be a really good match somehow.

3 minutes ago, MapRef41N93W said:

I hope so, but I doubt it. I think Kenny at his best is amazing, but come hell or high water, that dude is going to hit 7 V-triggers and a double-underhook piledriver that looks like it should kill a man for a heatless nearfall that he acts shocked by. And it'll still be a really good match somehow.

Well Tanahashi is gonna be in it, so yeah, it'll be good.

• Like 1

In other words,  we wanna be the anchors and hold booking hostage every December, but not do the work and the build to WK tour.

Fuck them, I really wish the lot would just take the Titan Money and fuck off.

1 hour ago, Raziel said:

In other words,  we wanna be the anchors and hold booking hostage every December, but not do the work and the build to WK tour.

Fuck them, I really wish the lot would just take the Titan Money and fuck off.

They know that regardless of whether they show up or not, Gedo’s just gonna put them in the tag title match at the Dome anyway. 

I am very excited for the main event and the jr. match, which I hope will give Kushi a chance to remind everyone that he is a real talent.

Someone was claiming this is all building to a Tanahashi heel turn, which I am not sure would work mainly because I love him blindly.

I am not terribly excited for the two semi-mains or the jr. tag in terms of hype, but I think they will deliver something. I have a lot of respect for Gedo doubling down on Jay's push though I just don't think it's going to take.

The Elite basically booking part of NJPW cards has been a bugbear of mine for a while now. I expect that Page, the Yungbuxx, and Cody are going somewhere. However I expect Kenny to stay and hopefully improve with a direction that is written for him.

It is sad to see that there isn't much out there for Ishii, Goto, Ibushi, Suzuki, SANADA, EVIL, etc.

I'm semi-expecting a Nakamura return at some point too. Not at WK13, but I think the NYD might signpost something.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sevendaughters said:

I expect that Page, the Yungbuxx, and Cody are going somewhere. However I expect Kenny to stay and hopefully improve with a direction that is written for him.

I'm semi-expecting a Nakamura return at some point too. Not at WK13, but I think the NYD might signpost something.

I can't exactly spend more on my World subscription, but... I really, really would try, if all this happened.

Kenny's talent and creativity is self-evident, but so are his indulgent/petulant impulses. Sometimes the best writers need the strongest editing, and I'd like to see him get that.

Nakamura returning would be a brilliant piece of business for all parties. He might surpass Naito as Japan's most over act (if only briefly), and get a short run as the true King/Ace that he never had--and never would have, had he stayed in perpetuity.

I wonder if Ishii will defend the Rev Pro title? I could see ZSJ challenging for it (although Suzuki is really out to pasture if that happens).

As long as he's still around, Cody will defend the US title. Can Juice win it back already? Can Kitamura come back, then squash him in 30 seconds?

Also, I’ll put this here:

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Beech27 said:

As long as he's still around, Cody will defend the US title. Can Juice win it back already? Can Kitamura come back, then squash him in 30 seconds?

Wow, I completely forgot about the US Title and it seems NJPW did too lol. It has to be Cody vs. Juice, right? I can’t see anybody else slotting into the role and making sense.

Yeah, I'm on board with everybody but Kota and Kenny leaving for their own promotion or WWE. I could see Kenny wanting to work some of those shows should the Bucks actually start their own company, which could be interesting.

I know I'm not the first person to bring this up here but hasn't Nakamura laughed off ideas of him returning to Japan? I think Balor is way likelier at this stage and though clearly Meltzer and Balor aren't on the best of terms with the whole "OVER" bullshit, that top WWE guy who was offered more money for fewer dates by NJPW likely has to be Finn, right?