DVDVR Message Board

[NXT] NOVEMBER 2018 DISCUSSION

Dolfan in NYC

4 hours ago, Edwin said:

Edit: And apparently last nights NXT Live Ocala event took place in a tent and Lee challenged Ciampa for the title...

Full Results from that show (Spoilers just for size)

Spoiler

- Keith Lee won a battle royal for the right to face Tommaso Ciampa in an NXT Championship match in our main event

Other wrestlers in the battle royal included: Dominik Dijakovic, Dan Matha, Tucker Knight, Stacey Ervin Jr., Otis Dozovic, Mohammad Fahim, Jeet Rama, Daniel Vidot, Luke Menzies, Denzel Dejournette, and Saurav Gurjar.

- Dakota Kai & Mia Yim defeated Aliyah & Chelsea Green

Kai won it with the Kairopractor.

- Fabian Aichner defeated Mansoor Al-Shehail

Aichner won with a spinning powerbomb.

- The Forgotten Sons (Wesley Blake, Steve Cutler & Jaxson Ryker) defeated Stacey Ervin Jr., Punishment Martinez & Matt Riddle

This was an impromptu match that was made after Riddle was talking to the crowd before the match and The Forgotten Sons interjected themselves. Ryker hit a huge powerbomb on Ervin for the victory.

- Velveteen Dream defeated Kona Reeves (w/ Vanessa Borne)

Borne kept running distractions to allow Reeves to take the upper hand, but Dream won it with the Purple Rainmaker.

- Babatunde Aiyegbusi defeated Marcel Barthel

Babatunde picked up the win with a layout side slam.

- NXT UK Women's Champion Rhea Ripley defeated Reina Gonzalez to retain her title

Ripley was beloved here tonight. She retained with a pumphandle slam.

- NXT Champion Tommaso Ciampa defeated Keith Lee to retain his title

Great matchup that would be even more compelling on television. Lee took it to the champ but wasn't able to avoid the draping DDT as Ciampa escaped with his title.

On November 29, 2018 at 1:59 PM, Hagan said:

One slight knock so far is that what distinguished a lot of the UK scene to me was how fun it seemed to be there. Like PROGRESS, OTT, to an extent Rev Pro seemed like you were watching wrestling from a rowdy, drunk, lewd club. NXTUK seems a little too slick, too clean and the crowd feels like they're doing an imitation of what UK crowds are supposed to do and the wrestlers seems like slightly muted versions of themselves from their home companies. Like, I get your mileage may vary on the BSS vaudeville matches but Bate and Seven are a blast doing that and I'm not sure them as valiant smiling babyfaces works the same. 

Could not agree more and while it. Is also true of American indy talent seeming more sanitized and WWE-ified when they got to NXT it seems more pronounced for the UK roster. In Progress I get Smallman's punk rock carnival parker/stand-up act to make me feel like part of the small lovely family and the talent reflects that as well. I am happy for everyone for getting paid and getting the exposure, but it does take away from my enjoyment despite really liking a lot of the workers on the show.

It isn't any different from a talented indie band putting out charmingly DIY albums pressed in their garage only to get produced to hell and back when they sign to a major label. It sucks, but it sucks even more when people get on your back about preferring when they were small time. I'll cop to being an aging hipster (ask me about the time I saw Arcade Fire in front of 50 people) but some people prefer their entertainment unpolished and, for lack of a better term, raw.

Personally, I'm thankful for NXT UK because it let me see a lot of guys live I would've probably never seen and now I know Pete Dunne has a huge head.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, mattdangerously said:

Ok. Were they more or less pretentious than they normally are due to the size of the crowd?

Way more. The singer stopped the show because the xylophonist wasn't hitting the rhythm the way he wanted. And after the show he went outside and just stared at the ocean for a while. Good show!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JonnyLaw said:

Moss & Sabatelli on indie shows would be money.

Would it be? I remember an nxt house show I went to in September 2017 in Bethlehem, PA, and they got shit on pretty hard. It wasn't "boo the heels". It was "you guys are awful wrestlers".

• RIPPA unpinned this topic
10 hours ago, Goodear said:

Putting Kona Reeves with Borne might be a good thing for both of them.  

Not really..? Reeves's biggest issue is just that he is pretty mediocre in the ring. Borne is perfectly decent, just been booked as a jobber.

• RIPPA locked this topic