DVDVR Message Board

[TV] NOVEMBER 2018 TV DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Pacific Rim is the franchise that will not die. It's coming to Netflix as anime.

From The Hollywood Reporter

Pacific Rim. Returning to the epic battle of Kaiju and Jeagers, this original anime series will expand upon the story of the first two live action movies and follow two siblings — an idealistic teenage boy and his naïve younger sister — who are forced to pilot an abandoned Jaeger across a hostile landscape in a desperate attempt to find their missing parents. Co-showrunners: Craig Kyle (Thor: Ragnarok) and Greg Johnson (X-Men: Evolution). Production Company: Legendary Entertainment (Kong: Skull Island; Pokemon: Detective Pikachu).

15 hours ago, Ace said:

Pacific Rim is the franchise that will not die. It's coming to Netflix as anime.

From The Hollywood Reporter

I'm pretty 'meh' on the Pacific Rim movies but I think an animated series is a really good format for the property.

On 11/8/2018 at 2:18 AM, RolandTHTG said:

Holy shit.

That episode of Always Sunny......

I had to rewatch the final five minutes a second time to appreciate it because the first time I was on guard for the moment when it would (in my mind, ingrained from years of Always Sunny viewing like the end of the High School Reunion episode) go horribly, horribly wrong.

Amazing article on Vulture about all the work they put into it, and - not really talked about much - also a helluva payoff to the season opener gag of Mac himself verbalizing "why did I do this?" In reference to getting buff.

• Like 3

That was unreal. I was a dumbass and read the article before watching the episode but I think that allowed me to appreciate it as it is instead of being defensive, like you were on first viewing. It was like a sledgehammer to my heart and perfectly done. Just about the best way possible for that season to end. I was in tears by the end of that and am still recovering.

And holy shit at Frank's transformation into a complete monster. That was the stuff of nightmares and actually served a purpose.

edit: wow

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, RolandTHTG said:

7GFvrbC.jpg

Some guy has gone through and rated every episode of Ninja Turtles for questionable content

The insanity aside, aren't they also doing the rating backwards? Wouldn't 4/5 nudity be just full of naked people?

Am I ignorant for just liking that episode of Always Sunny rather than being blown away by it? I appreciated it as an artistic statement, but it's just not what I want out of the show. Sunny has done emotional moments that I loved before like Dee in the wheelchair with the baby, but I just couldn't take Mac's sudden character awakening seriously when he was beating up kids and choking women a couple of episodes earlier.

It reminded me of the musical episode from last season as it delivered a powerful message and I understand people digging it, but the episodes I tend to love have all five characters interacting and getting funny moments to shine rather than just one or two characters. The Times Up and Gang Gets New Wheels did that the best and they were my two favorite episodes of the season.

16 hours ago, odessasteps said:

You ever see the version of the over the top shot that's at full speed? It looks terrible. The no man's set was less than ten feet long so it only took them a few seconds to run through it, and then they just sort of stood around and thought it was a bit of a low note to end the series on. The edit saved everything. People cried and still do.

Everytime I see that Blackadder ending, I have to think of Paths of Glory, an early Kubrick movie (starring Kirk Douglas) about a unit of French soldiers who ignored an order for such a suicide attack.

WW1 might have been the most senseless war in history, and that is even considering "War, huh? What is it good for? Absolutely nothing!" A war that came to be by scheming for power, fighting for imperialism and a new thing called "nationalism", the senseless mass-killings in the western trenches, the alpine front and lots of other theaters, where basically nothing "happened" for years, countries not taking an out when they could have (e.g. Russia after the February Revolution or Austria-Hungary after the death of emperor Franz-Joseph) and a peace that laid the foundations for WW2 to some degree.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Robert s said:

Everytime I see that Blackadder ending, I have to think of Paths of Glory, an early Kubrick movie (starring Kirk Douglas) about a unit of French soldiers who ignored an order for such a suicide attack.

WW1 might have been the most senseless war in history, and that is even considering "War, huh? What is it good for? Absolutely nothing!" A war that came to be by scheming for power, fighting for imperialism and a new thing called "nationalism", the senseless mass-killings in the western trenches, the alpine front and lots of other theaters, where basically nothing "happened" for years, countries not taking an out when they could have (e.g. Russia after the February Revolution or Austria-Hungary after the death of emperor Franz-Joseph) and a peace that laid the foundations for WW2 to some degree.

If you didn’t see, I posted a paths of glory clip in the movie thread today (along w Col Blimp). 

On 11/11/2018 at 3:53 PM, Robert s said:

Don't forget the major powers jonesing for a war because they hadn't had one in a while. It was essentially Victoria's family having a dick measuring contest. . . . 

Something I missed (and maybe it was discussed last month when it came out) but Daman Wayans announced he was leaving Lethal Weapon TV show at the end of the season.

Apparently FOX agreed to change his shooting schedule and better support his diet (since he cited his diabetes as one of the reasons for leaving) and now he might stick around for Season 4

18 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

In terms of sheer comedy, this might've been the best episode of Last Week Tonight ever.

Bang on. This year has been pretty disappointing on the laughter even if I appreciate the deep dives.

I almost choked on my dinner after the Wilbur Ross/Wallace Shawn joke.

• Like 1