DVDVR Message Board

[TV] NOVEMBER 2018 TV DISCUSSION

RIPPA

James and the Giant Peach is my favorite Roald Dahl book. We recently read it with my daughter and I still love it. It would be nice for that book to get a movie do-over since the first movie isn't good in the least.

The latest episode of Bob's Burgers ran a very queer storyline with Gene Belcher very openly pining to be with his new best friend Alex.  

The choice of song (Heart's "Alone" - and everything it implies) was what sent it over the top for me. They've always been sort of hinting that Gene may be gay, but this was the probably the first red flag that, yes, his feelings for Alex may be more crush than friendship. 

I'm very excited to see if they keep it up. 

• Like 2

It's all dependent on the cast and director, and keeping the soundtrack intact.  Seriously, it needs to open with "TANK!", end with "Real Folk Blues", and "See You Space Cowboy..." needs to play during the finale, or else a lot of the effect is gone.

17 hours ago, J.H. said:

I remember an interview with Keanu saying the reason he abandoned the Bebop movie was because it would cost a billion dollars to produce.

There were issues with budget and the script.  IIRC, Peter Craig started butting heads with Sunrise president, Kenji Uchida and Shinichiro Watanabe and shit went downhill from there.

The weapon training that Keanu underwent at Taran Tactical and the CQC study at Jonathan Eusebio's studio was supposed to be in prep for playing Spike Spiegel, but the skills went to John Wick instead.

On 11/27/2018 at 4:05 PM, Dolfan in NYC said:

The latest episode of Bob's Burgers ran a very queer storyline with Gene Belcher very openly pining to be with his new best friend Alex.  

The choice of song (Heart's "Alone" - and everything it implies) was what sent it over the top for me. They've always been sort of hinting that Gene may be gay, but this was the probably the first red flag that, yes, his feelings for Alex may be more crush than friendship. 

I'm very excited to see if they keep it up. 

They've also heavily implied that Bob is bisexual once or twice.

Except for a couple of early missteps, I think they've done a really great job with queer and trans representation on the show.

• Like 1