DVDVR Message Board

[TV] NOVEMBER 2018 TV DISCUSSION

RIPPA

57 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Bang on. This year has been pretty disappointing on the laughter even if I appreciate the deep dives.

I almost choked on my dinner after the Wilbur Ross/Wallace Shawn joke.

Yeah. This wasn't the best episode in actual news/social value but holy fuck it was hilarious.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Something I missed (and maybe it was discussed last month when it came out) but Daman Wayans announced he was leaving Lethal Weapon TV show at the end of the season.

Apparently FOX agreed to change his shooting schedule and better support his diet (since he cited his diabetes as one of the reasons for leaving) and now he might stick around for Season 4

They managed to pull off swapping out mains before, but Wayans became the main character this season.  He goes, they might as well cancel the show.

The first two series of The Last Kingdom were on BBC 2 as a coproduction with Netflix. So why is series 3 a Netflix exclusive? Bloody show stealing toerags.

18 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Something I missed (and maybe it was discussed last month when it came out) but Daman Wayans announced he was leaving Lethal Weapon TV show at the end of the season.

Apparently FOX agreed to change his shooting schedule and better support his diet (since he cited his diabetes as one of the reasons for leaving) and now he might stick around for Season 4

Good riddance. Should have just canceled it. Wonder who Wayans has intel on, since he already got Clayne Crawford ousted, who was carrying the whole show.

18 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Good riddance. Should have just canceled it. Wonder who Wayans has intel on, since he already got Clayne Crawford ousted, who was carrying the whole show.

13 minutes ago, hassan80636 said:

Wait, did you read all the shit Clayne Crawford was doing on that show?  Blaming Damon Wayans of all people for his firing seems misguided.

1 hour ago, supremebve said:

Wait, did you read all the shit Clayne Crawford was doing on that show?  Blaming Damon Wayans of all people for his firing seems misguided.

I did read it and it's all a whole lot of he said/she said but Wayans just rubs me the wrong way, add to that the info from RIPPA's post and I tend to side with Crawford.

10 minutes ago, hassan80636 said:

I did read it and it's all a whole lot of he said/she said but Wayans just rubs me the wrong way, add to that the info from RIPPA's post and I tend to side with Crawford.

I agree. There were faults with Crawford, but its seems like he had apologized and been punished for those incidents already. His firing was clearly someone holding a grudge be that Wayans or another producer.

Season 6 of Silicon Valley is being delayed on what is being blamed on Alex Berg's schedule (due to him focusing on Barry)

It is now expected that production will resume in the Summer of 2019

Also early word that this will be the last season (no confirmation on that yet)

16 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Season 6 of Silicon Valley is being delayed on what is being blamed on Alex Berg's schedule (due to him focusing on Barry)

It is now expected that production will resume in the Summer of 2019

Also early word that this will be the last season (no confirmation on that yet)

That makes sense. After the the last season finale, I'm not sure where else they could go. They could have just ended the series then. All of the guys finally won, Richard might finally be a good CEO and not be so much of a dick, and they're pretty insulated from Gavin Nelson. I mean, the show is pretty much done. It's one of the funniest shows on TV and the best show about nerds or geeks on TV and I'll be sad to see it be done, but it's time.

• Like 1

Whoever said Californication contained elements of proto-Bojack in it was on-point.  Only through the first season-plus, not nearly as good, few characters who are approaching 3-dimensional (Marcy and Becca kind of carry the show), but the level of self-destructive disaster is usually fun to watch.

• Like 1

In a world where more people watched it, Review would be on a lot of best of the decade lists. Thoughtful and moving and infuriating and so funny so often that I (literally) hurt myself laughing.

Does anybody here have a favourite review from Review? I think I’ve got to go with Magic 8 Ball just for the visual humour and the way that merged with the show’s usual rapidly-escalating insanity.

I really liked Review, but I never watched the final season, which I guess was only a few episodes. It is at times hilarious and other times completely gut wrenching. I'm not sure if I have a favorite, but it's way deeper than you would be lead to believe from the ads for it.

3 hours ago, Contentious C said:

It got a lot of press in its first season for being an entry in the growing awkward comedy field circa 2014. I never watched it, and I didn't know it was still airing. 

It’s not still airing. I just happened to finally get around to it. 

On 11/23/2018 at 11:15 AM, clintthecrippler said:

"Pancakes / Divorce / Pancakes" may legit be my vote for the funniest 22 minutes of televised comedy this past decade. It is the perfect example of "escalation comedy" at best.

The episode where the hype starts to make sense. It’s shocking how effective that episode is given how much the title tips its hand, which can be said of a lot of series. Shows the strength of the humour. 

• Like 1

Per Hollywood Reporter - CBS is working on a reboot/revival of Northern Exposure including original star Rob Morrow agreeing to return

CBS has been working to develop a reboot of Northern Exposure, according to The Hollywood Reporter. The star of the original series, Rob Morrow, is attached, as are creators Joshua Brand and John Falsey. The dramedy, set in the fictional town of Cicely, Alaska, ran for six seasons from 1990-1995.

Northern Exposure followed a New York doctor, Joel Fleischman (Morrow), who is required to practice medicine in Alaska to repay the state for underwriting his medical education. The reboot would have Fleischman returning to Cicely for a funeral, where he reunites with old friends, along with a new batch of equally-quirky characters.