DVDVR Message Board

[TV] NOVEMBER 2018 TV DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Man, the wife and i like The Good Doctor, but Richard Schiff's character somehow managing to have brain surgery without any visible sign of the incision or bandaging is driving us both nuts.  They could have at least shaved one side of his head.

That said, I'm enjoying the show.  Gonna have to go out and buy the season one box set soon and watch it too.  Freddie Highmore's performance is really good.

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Speaking of Stephen King - Freeform is working on adapting Joyland

I was wondering when people would remember that King wrote good shit like Shawshank and The Body and start trying to make adaptations of his non-horror work,

Joyland is tense yet fluffy enough to be successful on a network like Freeform.

1 hour ago, RazorbladeKiss87 said:

Woha. I haven't heard anything about this before but that looks pretty good. Is it picked up to air anywhere?

Not that I know of yet. One of the stars/producers is a friend of mine from college

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Edwin said:

Follow up episode of It's Always Sunny and I didn't dig it either.

I liked it more than the Charlie Home Alone episode, but it was still a bit of a letdown considering how excited I was for the Super Bowl episode and how much the cast talked about it in the interviews before the season. I enjoyed The Waitress being obnoxious and Dee as Mr. Magoo though. Pondy, and Uncle Jack were pretty underused.

I kind of enjoyed Charlie alone but because I don't care about football or the iggles, and the episode was an extended love letter to Philly and their team, I didn't think much of the episode either. 

Only one episode left. This season flew by so quickly now that shows are doing mostly 10 episode seasons and this one is no different. It's generally for the best as they remove the fat but shows come and go so damn fast now. Anyway, I adore this season even with 3 episodes on the weaker side. The first two are still among my favourite they've ever done. 

I saw the trailer for that last night during the Pats / Packers game.  

11 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I kinda enjoy that they aren't even bothering to not make it look like American Gladiators

I am assuming that they somehow believe that since they apparently cribbed elements from both Ninja Warrior AND American Gladiators, that Titan Games is different from either concept.

I also think it's funny how The Rock has seemingly transitioned to television to keep the paychecks rolling in until the box office stink goes away.

Can we talk about Netflix stand-up specials in this thread? If so, I love the new Adam Sandler special so much. It's pretty fantastic. Adam Sandler was really great in his early days on SNL. His first album, Billy Madison and Happy Gilmore are also really great. He was also spectacular in Punch Drunk Love. 50 First Dates is one of my all-time biggest guilty pleasures, too. 

I know Adam Sandler has made a lot of stuff absolutely no one in their right mind would ever watch. But all of the Grown Ups 2 type of crap has somehow gone on to overshadow what a weirdly unique comedian he is. Like... anyone with even a mild interest in comedy in the early 90s loved that guy. 

The new special is fantastic. It's very silly, as expected, but also has a lot of heart behind it. It's one of my favorite stand-up specials in a very long time.

• Like 1

I couldn't make it through 3 episodes of House of Bullshit. Fuck that show. It fucking sucks. Then I read what the ending was and yeah, giant pile of horseshit.

This may top Dexter for biggest fall off in terms of quality and least satisfying ending. Hammerschmidt should have taken that whole corrupt family down and vindicated the deaths of Zoe and others. 

Instead, the Underwoods keep going over in ways worse than HHH beating Booker T at WM. 

What a waste. 

• Like 1

As Rippa said in the October television thread, AMC and the BBC have developed a mini-series based on John le Carré's The Little Drummer Girl.

I do not recall him mentioning how absolutely stacked the cast is or who the badass director was.

Spoiler

I have spoilerized the trailer so that you can mark for yourself.