DVDVR Message Board

[MOVIES] NOVEMBER 2018 DISCUSSION

GuerrillaMonsoon

Bohemian Rhapsody.

Not easy to stuff this up, but they did. Telemovie standard script, portrayal of Queen as Spinal Tap is as exaggerated as Freddie Mercury's teeth. Rami Malek is good as Freddie but if they're just dubbing old Freddie Mercury vocal tracks over it, it's just karaoke at best, at worst a Disneyworld Jack Sparrow. Oh and Littlefinger from GoT basically playing Littlefinger is super distracting also.

Script glosses over his sexuality in a big way to try and get a lower rating to a point where you think he tripped over a pile of AIDS, and a constant reminder of "Yeahnah but he used to be straight". 4/10 for the soundtrack.

10 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Wait are you saying it would have been lower if not for the soundtrack or that the soundtrack dragged it down?

Because if its the later - we are gonna have a problem

You keep posting in this thread like it's not already November.

Halloween yesterday had me thinking of movies I watched once and had no need to see again, Irreversable is one of those. A few years back here someone mentioned an indie movie called The Bunny Game. Anyone ever watch that one? From the trailer it looks like another one of those types but I still have a morbid curiosity about it.

On 11/1/2018 at 3:18 PM, RolandTHTG said:

It gets a six for the soundtrack. -2 for everything else.

In the review I posted in the upcoming movie thread it got one star specifically for Malek. I actually pulled up that review on my phone and read it out loud to dissuade a friend of mine who wanted to go see it.

Sacha Baron Cohen is a one trick pony who shits on everything he touches. He would have sucked ass as Freddy Mercury.

Also, his performance would have been of low quality.

12 hours ago, EVA said:

I watched Gareth Evans's APOSTLE last night.  Shit's fucked up.  And the worst stuff happens off camera.

In all of the best movies, the worst stuff happens off camera.

Malek was perfectly fine as Mercury. What's slept on is that Gwilym Lee was so good as Brian May that I had to remind myself it wasn't him. He looked like him, sounded like him (unlike the bloke who played Roger Taylor), and even had his mannerisms. The music scenes are tremendous in IMAX. The writing, on the other hand, was subpar. Especially the outright fake parts. 

• Like 1

I was reading the movie both treats Live Aid as a comeback/semi-reunion (six months earlier they pushed back to back shows in front of 300,000k both nights in Rio, so, uh, no) and that it was spurred by Freddie's HIV diagnosis (which was first rumored more than a year after the show, and according to his partner wasn't actually diagnosed until nearly two years after the performance)

So, I know true stories never are, but isn't "stole the show from a ton of massive stars during the most watched TV broadcast ever" reason enough for the legendary performance to be legendary?

• Like 1

My wife and I took my daughter to Nutcracker and the Four Realms. I know this is a movie that got absolutely destroyed by reviewers, but what the hell were they expecting? We gave my daughter the choice between this and the Grinch and she chose this and I think taking her to the ballet last Christmas had a lot to do with it. And you know what? This wasn't bad. This was a perfectly acceptable family movie. Keira Knightley is awesome in it too. I didn't love the movie and the whole thing really isn't my cup of tea, but my daughter and wife both really liked it, had a good time, and honestly, that's all that matters.

And then the next day after my daughter went to bed, my wife and I watched Blackkklansman. We had both really wanted to see this and I'm glad we did. It is at times really funny, other times really gross, and we loved every jab at the current administration. And then came the very end. For those that don't want it spoilered...

Spoiler

So after the final shot of a burning cross, we get footage from Charlottesville and a couple other places, including the protest where a piece of shit ran over protesters, killing one of them.

It left us in tears that this type of shit is happening today.

Anyway, the movie was incredible. One of Spike Lee's best. When I first saw the trailer I thought it looked like a very un-Spike Lee movie, which I tend to think are his best movies. I love Do the Right Thing, but some time after that, Lee really stuck way too much to his style of filmmaking and I just think a lot of that is a gimmick. When he makes movies where he doesn't stick to that style, I tend to think they're some of his best. This had probably the right mix of styles and I really do think it's one of his best, if not his best.

After the movie when my wife and I were talking about it, we actually thought it felt a lot like a Coen Brothers brothers movie. It was more than that. It was this weird amalgamation of Spike Lee, Coen Brothers, and Scorsese and it all worked really well. I don't think anyone else could have pulled this off.

Won't You Be My Neighbour - Interesting subject matter delivered in a fairly boring way. Enjoyed it but it was background noise for the most part. 6/10

You Were Never Here - Ehh, just watch Leon: The Professional instead. Boring, but I appreciated it only being 90 minutes. 4/10

Hearts Beat Loud. Great cast (Nick Offerman, Toni Collette, Ted Danson), and it was decent enough, just, nothing really happened. Didn't really tell a story, so much as "here, it's Ron Swanson". 6/10.

Death of Stalin - just came off super self-indulgent, just a group of guys amusing themselves with a left of centre subject topic. Just never got into it enough. 4/10

Jesus fucking christ...

The Tale

First film I've ever seen where the trigger warning was so very justified. Story about a young girl being groomed by her athletics coach, with some very, very graphic child sex scenes. 

Laura Dern is amazing in this. The slow, gradual build from denial to acceptance of what happened is so well crafted. Would have said prior to this Lady Gaga was $1.01 to win Best Actress, but it's probably $1.90 each way for mine now. 

Wasn't a huge fan of the ending

as it just didn't have the necessary emphasis that it needed to. It fell a bit flat for mine

, but far out, I don't have a comedy light enough to get my mind off that now. I'm just going to go all in with Hereditary instead.

8/10

On 11/1/2018 at 8:23 PM, John Austin said:

Halloween yesterday had me thinking of movies I watched once and had no need to see again, 

Interstellar and Revenant both spring to mind for me... loved them both, but the fact I saw Interstellar at Imax means watching it at home will pale in comparison whereas I adored everything about Revenant but it was such a draining watch I'd rather just leave it as the one amazing experience (I listen to the soundtrack lots though so maybe that's cheating).

On 11/6/2018 at 12:53 AM, EVA said:

I watched Gareth Evans's APOSTLE last night.  Shit's fucked up.  And the worst stuff happens off camera.

I was up for watching this, but I've decided any film that's 'Netflix exclusive' is code for 'straight to dvd 2k18' so fobbed it off

8 minutes ago, CreativeControl said:

I was up for watching this, but I've decided any film that's 'Netflix exclusive' is code for 'straight to dvd 2k18' so fobbed it off

I'm not sure that's fair: some stuff, yeah, definitely. But they are giving some pretty serious talent some good budgets and free reign. I mean, the Coen Brothers have a Netflix Original movie now.

43 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

I'm not sure that's fair: some stuff, yeah, definitely. But they are giving some pretty serious talent some good budgets and free reign. I mean, the Coen Brothers have a Netflix Original movie now.

It could be “Ladykillers”  or “intolerable cruelty” quality Coen Brothers and not automatically “Fargo” or “big Lebowski” Coen brothers.