DVDVR Message Board

EVOLVE: The WWE AA Franchise

RIPPA

Guest Edwin

As @RIPPA posted in the AEW thread -- Darby signed with AEW which is a massive blow to EVOLVE.

Edit: And they seem to be grooming Josh Briggs as the next big star:

That is an easy pass from me as I'm not a fan of Theory or Briggs and Eddie Kingston is the only guy they have on the roster right now I'm interested in watching regularly.

Edit 2.0: They are also offering 50% discount on tickets for their upcoming event in Tampa which is not a good sign. I'm not sure how far they can go relying on WWE to loan them out talent for events.

Edited by Edwin

It's a show headlined by Austin Theory vs a guy that can't even get on NXT tv. I'm not surprised they are discounting tickets. That building is such a shit show with no parking and bad seating. However, I will be there cause I'm a Curt Stallion fan and it's always good to see Eddie Kingston live.  I actually like that they are using Evolve to showcase the non tv talent from NXT. That's probably not good for business though.

It would be a good idea to use actual on air NXT talent to draw fans and use the non-TV guys to fill out the card. Evolve has lost so much talent in the last year though. Their main event scene from a year ago is gone.

On 4/12/2019 at 10:00 PM, Tim Evans said:

It's a show headlined by Austin Theory vs a guy that can't even get on NXT tv. I'm not surprised they are discounting tickets. That building is such a shit show with no parking and bad seating. However, I will be there cause I'm a Curt Stallion fan and it's always good to see Eddie Kingston live.  I actually like that they are using Evolve to showcase the non tv talent from NXT. That's probably not good for business though.

I think Shane Thorne has the potential to be another Buddy Murphy like singles guy but I guess we will have to see how much of an opportunity he will get.  So far it doesn't seem that

From reading the results this is the most NXT C team level show I have seen so far.  I mean Lacey Lane,  Kona Reeves beating Colby Corino of all people, and that the giant Batwabatatabe or whatever his name is  guy that Stokely is managing in NXT .  You are trying to push Colby with the new group and having him lose is just stupid

I enjoyed the show. It's pretty much NXT developmental so if you watch it like that, it's fine. Thorne vs Stallion and Mendoza/Theory are worth watching. Thorne can really work and I wish they would give him a chance. Main event was way too long in Strickland vs JD Drake. If they cut like 10 minutes off it would have been great. The highlight of the show was Eddie Kingston beating down Bugenhagen. I want him to do that at Full sail.

I'd love to see Kingston get a late-career run in NXT. He's been in it as long as dudes like Samoa Joe, right? So why not?

Also I second the whole "not being into Josh Briggs" sentiment. Something about him just puts me off. It's like he's playing INTENSE but totally not pulling it off. He's like NXT Baron Corbin but with better hair and not a shred of the "charisma."

• Like 1

Going to 127. I enjoy Evolve for what it is at this point, NXT Lite. I for one don't mind Josh Briggs. When I went to Evolve 115 he absolutely killed some local guy, maybe it's just being there live. People were chanting for him to hit his finisher one more time, which he obliged. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

By Mike Johnson on 2019-05-08 17:28:00
Ron Niemi gave his notice today that he has quit WWN as color commentator and is done with the promotion.  We are told it was not a friendly end to the relationship.  I would assume Lenny Leonard will likely call this weekend's EVOLVE events solo.

Huh, curious as to what went down, but I can't consider it a major loss. Neimi was okay, but didn't inject a lot of color into matches and he and Leonard often just echoed each other's points. I would love for Kingston to sit in for a few matches repping the Unwanted viewpoint as Eddie is always fun on commentary.

Got back from 127. It was overall a fun show. Only thing I didn't like was the finish of Briggs-Jaroude. Not sure what Jaroude's character is.

MVP is Eddie Kingston. His trash talk vs Curt Stallion and during JD Drake-Gacy was great. Also liked a lot of the new faces. Stephen Wolf, Anthony Greene and Juntai all seem like solid additions. 

MOTN was probably Ohno/Bravado-Fox/Ruff. Also it was cool to meet Joe Gacy briefly. Bought a shirt from him and Stephen Wolf, they were both cool dudes. On a night people were lined up a mile long to see Adam Cole I wanted to support the other guys on the card. 

I thought it was weird seeing Anthony Greene on the show.  Then I heard that Nate Webb was on the show helping out Adam Cole.  That is just a mind fuck to me.  Don't get me wrong he is more than deserving to be on the show then any of those C level NXT stars they have currently

Edited by hammerva

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, hammerva said:
Running head to head with an AEW  show. An AEW charity show even which is kind of sleazy.

Eh... it would be one thing if they were asking people to pay for PPV buys to donate to the charity but they are giving it away for free. (Which a cynical person could argue is sleazy on AEW for using a charity event to get people to check out their PPV so they would pay for future ones).

It would be like saying no one should run sports against the NFL in October

24 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Eh... it would be one thing if they were asking people to pay for PPV buys to donate to the charity but they are giving it away for free. (Which a cynical person could argue is sleazy on AEW for using a charity event to get people to check out their PPV so they would pay for future ones).

I would think it would be more sleazy if it the tickets for the show were free as well.  But unless I'm missing something I'm okay with portions of ticket sales going to charity.

• Like 1

Guest Edwin

Everyone takes jabs at WWE for their philanthropic approach, yet applaud when someone else does it.

Of course when WWE does it, its all about publicity. However, when someone else does it, its because they genuinely care and clearly not about publicity.

Edited by Edwin

31 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Technically it’s an Evolve show going up against AEW... *ducks*