DVDVR Message Board

EVOLVE: The WWE AA Franchise

RIPPA

Catching up with Evolve 114 and I have to say the switch to NXT JR was kinda jarring. I mean I get it, they are changing and embracing it full force, but still just to see the NXT interaction and them referencing the PC and WWE so much it felt like being bashed over the head over and over. The title switches were good even if Strickland/Aichner dipped into overkill a bit for my tastes. Regardless it will be interesting to how things develop going forward. Maybe Dan Matha will end up being really good.... 

Why isn't Garrini working for EVOLVE anymore? Ever since Stokley left and Catch Point broke up, Garrini stopped appearing on their shows. He was far great.

Caught up with the current shows and while I like Anthony Henry, I don't know if he was the right guy to be doing the "you haven't earned your/taken my spot" thing. His mic work isn't confident and he seems hesitant to go full bore. Austin Theory or Strickland seem like better choices, but I guess they have other programs and directions right now. Also Darby Allin/Mustafa Ali was kind of a let down. Darby seems to function best as an underdog getting mauled by a big man as opposed to having a more back and forth match with a similar sized opponent.

Spoiler

Austin Theory is the new EVOLVE champ and Eddie Kingston attacked the Street Profits and the WorkHorsemen

at EVOLVE 117.

Edited by Dolfan in NYC
Spoilers from the underground

I was at both Shine and Evolve last Saturday and it was one of the more unique and memorable times at a wrestling event.  Before getting into the shows I want to state just how awesome Trevin Adams is.  I might have said it before but he's not only an old friend of ours but he's also really close with a friend who has helped him with the shows.  He hooked us up with free VIP seats (I still paid out the ass for gas and tolls) and took care of us all night.  What was also neat was we were in the section where all the wrestlers were hanging out and while I felt no need at all to meet them it was still cool seeing we were all just chilling out watching wrestling.  Also, more shows should happen in clubs.  I loved when Impact would do Slammiversary and the tapings in one and this one was a great setting for a show.

I saw what I could of Shine but we got there a tad late and were still getting situated.  The last couple matches were really fun and you can't go wrong with seeing Mercedez/Kimber Lee and Su/Alison live.  My wife was ecstatic to see Su and especially Kiera Hogan wrestle.  Luckily after the show we met Kiera and she was an absolute sweetheart.  As for Evolve that was just a top-to-bottom fucking awesome show.  I loved all the matches but I would say Ohno/Allin was my absolute favorite.  It told a damn good story and everybody just went nuts watching the sheer brutality of it all.  I would definitely see that and also Joe Gacy's match.

• Like 1

On 12/16/2018 at 1:45 AM, Edwin said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Austin Theory is the new EVOLVE champ and Eddie Kingston attacked the Street Profits and the WorkHorsemen

at EVOLVE 117.

Spoiler

Homicide and Hernandez joining Eddie Kingston in Evolve, and nxt perhaps? I'm all for it if Impact has no further use for them.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Edwin said:
Gargano vs. Theory. Pass.

I get what you're saying as I'd rather it be somebody else.  But I like the idea of an NXT star wrestling Theory is who is heavily against NXT wrestlers coming in.  Might not be the best match but I'd like to see what they can do.

I think Theory is a lock to get signed at any point soon along with Darby which is why those are the 2 guys getting to work with the NXT guys in singles matches when they come in.

• 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, quackhell said:

While I would obviously be happy for Darby to get signed and have great success I am not sure a watered down version of him would be nearly as fun to watch. I know that is assuming a lot, but I tend to do that whether it's rational or not.

I never saw what was special about Darby until the Queens show.  He is beyond tremendous at being the little guy that gets beaten down but still somehow fights back.  That might work in NXT but no way in hell will that have the time to work out on the main roster.  I'd much rather there be a hiring freeze until WWE can make good use of what they currently have.  Buying/keeping talents so they don't go elsewhere is what's hurting the business more than anything.

• Like 2

Did EVOLVE cut ties with the entire Catch Point crew? I know Stokley is done and was written off with the Catch Point angle. Dickinson, Jaka, Garrini nor Hot Sauce have been booked for some shows. They haven't booked Thatcher in a while either.

Edit: Watch Ohno/Allin from EVOLVE 117 if you haven't. Best EVOLVE match since the NXT invasion. Darby as the small bumping underdog who can take a massive beating always delivers.

Some great match announcements for the upcoming EVOLVE events:

JD Drake vs. Eddie Kingston No DQ match for the WWN title and Fabian Aichner vs. Darby Allin at EVOLVE 119 and Montez Ford vs. Eddie Kingston at EVOLVE 120.

• RIPPA unpinned this topic
  • 2 weeks later...