NOVEMBER 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION.

On 11/25/2018 at 4:52 PM, Matt D said:

He sucks. He sucks.

On 11/25/2018 at 5:18 PM, Matt D said:

World's worst Ronda Rousey

On 11/25/2018 at 6:17 PM, Matt D said:

... if Curt Schilling was a wrestler...

On 11/25/2018 at 6:54 PM, Matt D said:

Incalculably worse at the most important elements of pro wrestling than Mark Henry.

22 hours ago, Matt D said:

Harley Race for the early 00s.

22 hours ago, Matt D said:

How do I put this. Let's see. Let's try an analogy. 

Kurt Angle Olympic wrestling is to CM Punk MMA fighting as CM Punk pro wrestling is to Kurt Angle pro wrestling. 

11 hours ago, Matt D said:

It's far better to be less talented but to have a great sense of what to do with the talents you have than to be super talented but to have no idea how to use that talent properly. 

4 hours ago, Matt D said:

None of this is at all false.

... which really means Angle was terrible by comparison.

Anyway, i brought up Mark Henry, not CM Punk. Now there's a guy who knew exactly what his strengths were and how to maximize them in every moment. 

4 hours ago, Matt D said:

And Henry's pacing was amazing, as was his understanding of when and exactly how much to give, depending on his opponent, which again, is the exact opposite of Angle. Which is why he's such a great comparison point, as opposed to Punk, who had crummy execution, did shit he probably shouldn't have, but still had the sense of when and how to utilize the poor stuff to high effect. Comrade Niners was just utilizing whataboutism there with Punk anyway. 

8 minutes ago, Matt D said:

I'm seeing "Fun but flawed," which is ironically the very best thing anyone could say about Angle.

Big Kurt Angle fan, eh?

15 minutes ago, Matt D said:

I'm seeing "Fun but flawed," which is ironically the very best thing anyone could say about Angle.

..but that's exactly what WWE is missing.  Fun. Kurt Angle was legitimately funny.  I'd rather be sprayed with milk than neckbeard tears. Somewhere along the way WWE has lost that. 

52 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Sasha is great and all but if you'll excuse me...   I have some Aquaman reactions to read..  :) 

You're not going to like the movie, but it sounds amazing

Spoiler

Musical numbers where Aquaman wears clams as tap shoes?

Bless you James Wan for doing a full 180 from Snyder

1 minute ago, Betsy Zeidler said:

You're not going to like the movie, but it sounds amazing

Reveal hidden contents

Musical numbers where Aquaman wears clams as tap shoes?

Bless you James Wan for doing a full 180 from Snyder

nah,  James Wan can do wrong.  2nd greatest director in the DCEU.  ?

21 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I was maybe 20 the first time I saw Punk live and I was a fan of his but I never understood the "all-time great" performer stuff from a guy who I feel had some pretty glaring flaws.   WWE booking didn't help his later years. 

Well, I was around 40 the first time I saw him and when you are clearly being outworked by Super Dragon claims of "all-time great" or "best in the world" sound pretty silly.  (Don't get me wrong, I love Super Dragon's work, but Misawa he's not). That said, I think you have to go back to late-career Dusty Rhodes to find someone as limited in the ring and as transcendent on the microphone as CM Punk, he could turn in a ** crapfest and once he picked up the mic, all was forgiven because he was so damn good on the stick. Hell, he's in Cornette/Heenan/Flair/Dusty territory. 

Where Punk got himself into trouble was watching Japan tapes and trying to do stuff he simply didn't have the training or physical ability to pull off. If there was ever a guy who should've stuck with HHH's late-90s/early00's formula of punch-punch, kick-kick, clothesline, rinse repeat, finisher it's probably CM Punk. For that matter, the Go 2 Sleep was beyond him and looks like crap when he does it, his finish should have been something that looks high impact and is relatively easy to do like a DDT. That's a move that looks good no matter who does it, Larry fucking Zbysko can pull off a sharp-looking DDT, you don't have to be Arn Anderson to make it look good, hell, Jake Roberts of all people could do it effectively and talk about a guy having entirely the wrong build and height for that move. (Generally, the move looks better with two guys that are roughly the same height, Jake towered over most of his opponents. I think the dude must be a legit 6'5 or thereabouts.) 

• Like 3

On ‎11‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 10:18 PM, Matt D said:

World's worst Ronda Rousey

Surely Ronda Rousey is the World's worst Ronda Rousey?

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

I just gonna close all the other forums since everyone refuses to post in anything but here

You can't even blame this mess on me. I bet you wish I had a Seinfeld clip for this mess. Kramer finding the Merv Griffin Show set in a dumpster or trying to dispose of muffin stumps at the Jiffy Dump seem very appropriate right now. Of course, "That's not going to be good for anybody." or "That's ashame." are always good stand-by's.

Holy shit, I don't know how I didn't notice this before, but Road Dogg looks and sounds like Cousin Eddie as fuck.

Now all I want is to hear him recite lines from Vacation and Christmas Vacation.

"MERRY CHRISTMAS! SHITTER WAS FULL!"

Ha, didn't bother to look up the reasoning but it is annoying as far as a historical record and does come into play when evaluating WON HOF voting. Wikipedia's weird tinkering with a not broken system is  basically the Internet in a nutshell. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Hagan said:

Wikipedia removed Meltzer Five Star ratings from wrestler profiles. That's annoying. 

GOOD.

Determining value of a worker based on the whims of an internet troll is getting old.

49 minutes ago, Raziel said:

GOOD.

Determining value of a worker based on the whims of an internet troll is getting old.

I mean, not getting into a debate pro or con regarding Meltzer but the issue isn't whether or not people AGREE with the rating, it's whether they have any news or qualitative value. Wiki is still listing WON year end awards, for instance. A lot of wrestlers (especially on the independents and non-WWE major feds) put value on them and it was nice having them listed on a handy-dandy site. 

I mean, this logic indicates that NO awards or rankings voted on by experts in a field should be listed. May as well take off AFI rankings, I guess.

Incidentally, the Meltzer ratings are still mentioned in the summary sections of a wrestler's career so I'm really bitching about a formatting change and should probably have not opened up this issue. 

• Like 1

So in the Smackdown preview for tonight

- Becky Lynch will be there

- Daniel Bryan will be there

- The Bar is saying on social media they are doing an open challenge for anyone not named New Day. Problem is the WWE website is already promoting it is the Usos (whoops!)

- Plus there is supposedly something around Jeff Hardy celebrating his 20th anniversary on Smackdown