DVDVR Message Board

NOVEMBER 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION.

1 hour ago, Goodear said:

Moveset is a funny thing where it should not only be things you do well but have some sort of insight into the character and their strengths.  Punk''s set never really worked because his execution was shoddy which failed to accentuate his 'Best in the World' gimmick.  If he would have done things he could do well rather than scoop up moves from Japan, he would have been better served.  He didn't realize and work to his limits.   

None of this is at all false.

... which really means Angle was terrible by comparison.

Anyway, i brought up Mark Henry, not CM Punk. Now there's a guy who knew exactly what his strengths were and how to maximize them in every moment. 

For comparison sake, Mark Henry had a really bare bones moveset which was all based on how big and powerful he is.  Nothing was fancy but fancy stuff would not have made the act any better.  But it fit who he was and his ... one? ... real high spot (the Bossman straddle through the ropes) was devastating because it was the only real time he acted that quickly.  

Angle's issues were always pacing and a refusal to dominate where he logically should have on the mat.  In comparison to Henry, it would have been if Henry lost a test of strength to John Cena when Angle would get schooled by Shane McMahon or anyone really.  It was a betrayal of the character and a misuse of his skill set.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Goodear said:

For comparison sake, Mark Henry had a really bare bones moveset which was all based on how big and powerful he is.  Nothing was fancy but fancy stuff would not have made the act any better.  But it fit who he was and his ... one? ... real high spot (the Bossman straddle through the ropes) was devastating because it was the only real time he acted that quickly.  

Angle's issues were always pacing and a refusal to dominate where he logically should have on the mat.  In comparison to Henry, it would have been if Henry lost a test of strength to John Cena when Angle would get schooled by Shane McMahon or anyone really.  It was a betrayal of the character and a misuse of his skill set.  

And Henry's pacing was amazing, as was his understanding of when and exactly how much to give, depending on his opponent, which again, is the exact opposite of Angle. Which is why he's such a great comparison point, as opposed to Punk, who had crummy execution, did shit he probably shouldn't have, but still had the sense of when and how to utilize the poor stuff to high effect. Comrade Niners was just utilizing whataboutism there with Punk anyway. 

39 minutes ago, Goodear said:

This one actually made sense in the context of the feud & match. The other times....

9 minutes ago, Raziel said:

So, that new round of NXT UK contracts came out...

Given I love NXT and have watched a very limited amount of NXT UK -- and have dug the PROGRESS events I've seen -- is NXT UK worth the watch?

2 minutes ago, Edwin said:

Given I love NXT and have watched a very limited amount of NXT UK -- and have dug the PROGRESS events I've seen -- is NXT UK worth the watch?

I'm an episode behind, but its solid so far with everything its building up. The latest set of spoilers have a most of it coming together nicely for their first Takeover next year.

4 minutes ago, Raziel said:

We're supposed to blanketly hate every decision WWE makes no matter what now, you didn't get the memo?

I think people were under the misapprehension, however reasonable, that WWE Starrcade would in some way shape or form actually resemble Starrcade, especially when it was in Greensboro, as it was last year. It ended up being a house show with a few legends making appearances. This year was basically that, with a few sections edited together into a one hour Network show. So yeah, in 2017, the gripe was that we couldn't see Starrcade. In 2018, the gripe was that they put an hour of house show content on the network and called it Starrcade.

Peoples' reactions make perfect sense when you look at them in context. Or you can just not cuz you want to be contrarian.

• Like 5

Given that the first 4 Starrcade's weren't seen unless you bought a ticket to Greensboro or the Omni, or the videotape 3 months after the fact, WWE's ahead of the pace with the reboot.

25 minutes ago, Edwin said:

21 minutes ago, Eivion said:

I'm an episode behind, but its solid so far with everything its building up. The latest set of spoilers have a most of it coming together nicely for their first Takeover next year.

To each their own of course, but I joined an episode in progress quick while I was having a bite to eat the other day, and it bored me to tears. And I really like what I've seen of PROGRESS - which isn't a ton, admittedly-- but my point I don't think it's like i don't like any modern British stuff. It just felt real flat. I caught Trent seven vs someone and one other match with two dudes I didn't know

Well - here we fucking go

World Wrestling Entertainment has come to terms with Austrian star Walter Hahn, known inside the ring as WALTER, PWInsider.com has confirmed with multiple sources.  There had been a story several months ago that WWE had interest in the star, originally reported by Dave Meltzer of The Wrestling Observer.  At the time, WALTER publicly denied those stories but later did enter into negotiations with the company.

Originally trained by European star Michael Kovac, WALTER, 31 years old, has been a regular on the European wrestling scene for WXW in Germany as well as PROGRESS.   He's worked under several different names, including Big Van Walter and Big Daddy Walter, before simply going by his first name.  A big bruiser of a competitor, he's really broken out internationally beyond Europe and Japan (where he worked for Big Japan Wrestling) in the last several years

Here in the United States he has also made appearances for EVOLVE and had a run as the PWG Heavyweight Champion.  We are told that WALTER's signing was what led to him dropping the Pro Wrestling Guerrilla championship last month to Jeff Cobb.  We are told that PWG attempted to bring him back into the company for a farewell appearance this December, but his WWE deal prevented that.

WALTER is currently finishing up independent dates that were already scheduled and once that run is completed, will be part of WWE's European expansion plans, including the NXT UK brand.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Raziel said:

So, that new round of NXT UK contracts came out...

I can’t think of a more fitting fate for the scene that fell on its sword for an NXT washout/domestic abuser than to have said abuser main event every show in every company that isn’t doing business with Paul.

They made their bed and they can now lie in it. Hope it was worth it.

23 minutes ago, Hagan said:

Seems to be some confusion as to whether the NXTUK proxies can show matches with the contracted talent.

If not, that pretty much guts PROGRESS. 

Rev Pro probably stands to benefit as a last alternative but man...

Well, Rev Pro would have to stop booking around NJPW, but yeah., it could improve.

47 minutes ago, Super Ape said:

I can’t think of a more fitting fate for the scene that fell on its sword for an NXT washout/domestic abuser than to have said abuser main event every show in every company that isn’t doing business with Paul.

They made their bed and they can now lie in it. Hope it was worth it.

It’s sad it took me a while to figure out which NXT washout/domestic abuser you were talking about. (I’m guessing Bram, but only after I thought about Rose and Crowe)

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, JonnyLaw said:

It’s sad it took me a while to figure out which NXT washout/domestic abuser you were talking about. (I’m guessing Bram, but only after I thought about Rose and Crowe)

You would be right. The UK reference might have been the deciding clue.