DVDVR Message Board

NOVEMBER 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION.

In the latest version of "What are wrestlers bitching about on Twitter today", a tweet from Aria Blake.  Had trouble finding the original so just took a retweet 

I am not going to think I understand the grind a pro wrestler goes through but it is funny listening to people with over 10+ years in the indies talking about the "good old days" of driving 10 hours for $20 and a hot dog while you are probably making $50 - $75 now isn't helping your argument

• Like 1

He's good at the bad elements of pro wrestling though. Can Mark Henry moonsault off the top of a cage? No? Kurt can do it twice in the same match. In TNA!

• Like 1

I merged in the Kurt Angle thread because frankly it belongs in here.  

Please don't open new threads about a specific wrestler unless there's a seriously compelling reason to do so.   

"Hey wasn't Kurt Angle cool?" is not a seriously compelling reason. 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Kurt Angle was a better pro wrestler than CM Punk at least. 

How do I put this. Let's see. Let's try an analogy. 

Kurt Angle Olympic wrestling is to CM Punk MMA fighting as CM Punk pro wrestling is to Kurt Angle pro wrestling. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

11 minutes ago, Matt D said:

How do I put this. Let's see. Let's try an analogy. 

Kurt Angle Olympic wrestling is to CM Punk MMA fighting as CM Punk pro wrestling is to Kurt Angle pro wrestling. 

Instead of an analogy,  I'll leave you with this.  No professional wrestler since 2000 is less intimidating while cutting what should be considered a serious promo than CM Punk.  No professional wrestler since 2000 who is touted as having "great matches" has sloppier looking offense than CM Punk.  

If Kurt Angle is tasked to yell into a microphone and say "I'll kick your ass!"  I believe him.  

If CM Punk is tasked to yell into a microphone and say "I'll kick your ass!" I'm assuming the person who is yelling towards is under 120lbs. 

If Kurt Angles throws an overhead belly to belly I say "hey, that looked good" 

If CM Punk drops an elbow off the top I say "what the hell was that?" 

Execution matters. I know there's a lot of people here who grew up watching Punk in Ring of Honor and have fond memories of all of it so I understand that nobody is going to agree about his serious promo work and sloppy offense. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Brian Fowler said:

There's a good argument for his execution... But Punk's serious promos were great.

He cut some tremendous promos but I preferred him as a heel because at least then I could see him being a cheating bastard or he had stablemates backing him up. I did not think he cut a convincing I'll kick your ass babyface promo. Kurt Angle,  I felt was a great promo whether heel or face. 

Kurt absolutely is an all time great mic man, but his comedy stuff was light years above his generic tough guy stuff. He was fine at it, but he was mostly a believable bad ass because he was a real bad ass.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I know there's a lot of people here who grew up watching Punk in Ring of Honor and have fond memories of all of it so I understand that nobody is going to agree about his serious promo work and sloppy offense. 

I was already over 30 the first time I saw Phil, at the first Chikara show in 2002. 

#oldman 

11 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I was already over 30 the first time I saw Phil, at the first Chikara show in 2002. 

I was maybe 20 the first time I saw Punk live and I was a fan of his but I never understood the "all-time great" performer stuff from a guy who I feel had some pretty glaring flaws.   WWE booking didn't help his later years. 

I never bought Edge as an asskicking face either but WWE at least kept him heel for the most part and hid his flaws in garbage matches. 

Kurt's offense looked devastating whether heel or face and he was easily believable in the asskicker role and the cheating prick role...  his ECW run was underrated too.  Just beating the holy hell out of people. 

In your opinion, what are Kurt Angle's best matches?

I personally think that his best matches are:

1)Angle vs Shawn Michaels - Wrestlemania 21 ****1/2

2)Angle vs Benoit - Royal Rumble ****1/2

3) Angle vs Benoit - Unforgiven 2002 ****1/4

I noted that a lot of you think that his selling was poor. In particular, what could be an example of that?  Yesterday I watched Benoit vs Angle (Rumble 2003), and I thought that Angle selling was great. I thought that he sold everything so well. 

As you know I am a great fan of Bryan, but I think that objectively Bryan is not so much better at selling than Angle. In the sense, I watched also, for example, Strong vs Bryan (ROH Vendetta 2006). I thought that the match was very good (****), but I noted that Bryan's selling, sometimes, lacked. To explain better, even after 40 minutes, Bryan appeared to be not tired. Is that also a lack of selling? Are we so much biased (even I always thought that Bryan was so much better than Angle)? 

Watching Benoit vs Angle, do you think somebody like Bryan would have been able to deliver a great technical matches, like Angle and Benoit did? In the sense, I also noted that Angle delivered tons of very good matches under 20 minutes, (his Unforgiven match against Benoit was 13 minutes, vs Mysterio (Summerslam 2002 was under 10), vs Edge (Judgment Day 2002- Backlash were under 15 minutes). If he would have been in ROH, with tons of minutes like Bryan did, do you think that he would have delivered tons of more great matches?

Thanks