DVDVR Message Board

NOVEMBER 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION.

Given I have a short memory span and I read one of @Pete's posts from another thread -- has anyone who's ever made it to one of the big companies ever decided to truthfully retire due to age and not due to injuries?

By truthfully retire, I mean someone who's retired and never had another match ever again.

What's up with all the new cameras installed at ringside/on the War Games cage this weekend?

I assumed the Wargames ones was for an eventual 360 release of the match, but the giant new boxes on the barricades don't see like they would be enough to do it.  

3 minutes ago, CSC said:

What's up with all the new cameras installed at ringside/on the War Games cage this weekend?

I assumed the Wargames ones was for an eventual 360 release of the match, but the giant new boxes on the barricades don't see like they would be enough to do it.  

On the NXT conference call, HHH said they were testing out some new technology so I imagine those were part of it.

When does the Fox deal start? The Horsewomen feud will be alot easier to book once the brand extension is over. And to fantasy book for a minute...how about Heyman take on the MMA Horsewomen and say, Nia as clients to be his next gen Dangerous Alliance?

23 minutes ago, Edwin said:

Given I have a short memory span and I read one of @Pete's posts from another thread -- has anyone who's ever made it to one of the big companies ever decided to truthfully retire due to age and not due to injuries?

By truthfully retire, I mean someone who's retired and never had another match ever again.

Famously, Jack Brisco, by I'm not 100% sure he was still active or working as an agent at that point. 

4 minutes ago, Infinit said:

When does the Fox deal start? The Horsewomen feud will be alot easier to book once the brand extension is over. And to fantasy book for a minute...how about Heyman take on the MMA Horsewomen and say, Nia as clients to be his next gen Dangerous Alliance?

Heyman, post Invasion, has had exactly 2 people his act has enhance; one didn't need it, and the other is essentially him working as a proxy.  Heyman doesn't need to manage anyone else.

18 minutes ago, Raziel said:

The barrier cameras have been around for a few months now.  The ringpost cameras are new.  They haven't been used on TV yet, though.

I don't know about NXT, but I'm positive they've used ringpost cameras on RAW or Smackdown before.

57 minutes ago, AxB said:

Wait, Ronda's "millennial man" promo on RAW wasn't intended to turn her heel? Because insulting an entire generation of people with stereotypy abuse, especially when a big chunk of the audience is of that generation, that's not a babyface move. And she boasted about how she can't get hurt by Armbars immediately before getting hurt by an armbar. That's not a boastful heel getting a comeuppance?

Man, all this time, for YEARS even, AxB has been a part of the WWE creative staff and no one knew.

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, Raziel said:

The barrier cameras have been around for a few months now.  The ringpost cameras are new.  They haven't been used on TV yet, though.

This. I remember the barrier cameras at WrestleMania and Summerslam.

They can add a million cameras though, it doesn't mean shit if the people in the production truck fucking suck when it comes to their jobs. Not to make this NJPW vs WWE, but give me NJPW's production crew any day of the week.

11 minutes ago, Infinit said:

Since Heyman is apparently writing Ronda’s promos (Yes, including the millennial man one...), I’d like to see him manage someone that would take him far away from anything Rousey-related. 

I always thought the best use of Heyman would be in either a commissioner role or managing a non-English speaker like Nakamura or like a debuting Okada (Not that that is likely...) or Naito (Since WWE offered him a deal which he turned down).  Plus then you could turn them face when they find out Heyman is lying/cheating them and feud them with Lesnar or a newer Heyman charge. 

I don't think most people should be booing Ronda.  Her promos have been okay and she is busting her ass on the road and on TV performing a full time schedule. She's clearly not afraid to take a beating, last night was brutal.  She's done everything the "right way" as some of these people would tell it.  She has been given opportunity but she has also worked very hard and is running with the ball they presented to her. 

Shayna was correct.  Fans are fickle.  But I will go one step further.  A lot of fans have no idea what they even want out of creative.  They boo'd Charlotte for months and then Charlotte turns and they go right into cheering for her.  These people aren't happy unless everything is booked exactly the way they fantasy booked it.  

Also not seeing where Bayley and Sasha have been lazy.   Sasha was going all out last night with Asuka and taking some crazy bumps for her.  Her and Bayley are far from the first wrestlers to take issue with how they are handled creatively. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Edwin said:

How about Blitzkrieg? Didn't he have a job outside of wrestling making more than he made wrestling? I know he passed the gimmick onto Jack Evans, who used it for a short time.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

How about Blitzkrieg? Didn't he have a job outside of wrestling making more than he made wrestling?

Yeah, that's one. Wiki says he retired in WCW to become a computer technician and in 2004 he returned to give Jack Evans the gimmick, but didn't wrestle, so there's 2 with him and Jack Brisco that @odessastepsmentioned.

I would have had Charlotte pin Ronda with a roll up maybe with her foot on the ropes. then on Raw tonight I'd have Ronda demand Steph make Ronda vs Charlotte title on the line at TLC to prove it was a fluke. Steph nervously has to explain to Ronda that Charlotte is on a different Brand.  

Meanwhile the same night Nia cuts a promo saying she's tired of Becky tired of Becky talking shit on twitter and says she's using her title shot on Becky at TLC.

Shane and Steph agree on a trade and the rest is history.

I went to Blitzkrieg's ProFightDB page to see if he really did stay retired, and at the very bottom.... fucking Super Dragon worked a WCW tag team dark match with him.

57 minutes ago, Trebor said:

it is delicious.

Heathen. Next you're going to tell me that cilantro is anything but disgusting and should be wiped off the earth.

1 hour ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I don't think most people should be booing Ronda.  Her promos have been okay and she is busting her ass on the road and on TV performing a full time schedule. She's clearly not afraid to take a beating, last night was brutal.  She's done everything the "right way" as some of these people would tell it.  She has been given opportunity but she has also worked very hard and is running with the ball they presented to her. 

Shayna was correct.  Fans are fickle.  But I will go one step further.  A lot of fans have no idea what they even want out of creative.  They boo'd Charlotte for months and then Charlotte turns and they go right into cheering for her.  These people aren't happy unless everything is booked exactly the way they fantasy booked it.  

Also not seeing where Bayley and Sasha have been lazy.   Sasha was going all out last night with Asuka and taking some crazy bumps for her.  Her and Bayley are far from the first wrestlers to take issue with how they are handled creatively. 

Fans want faces that don't look like idiots and don't back down to the "authority figures", which is obviously never going away. That's a rant for another time. Is there any reason why Sasha wouldn't go after Nia after Nia caused her to be eliminated? Faces that defend themselves and show backbone is so rare in WWE that when it happens, you get insane face reactions like Becky and now Charlotte are getting.

I know what I want out of creative, but I also know I'm never going to get it while Vince is alive and his "yes men" kowtow to him. That's where other wrestling options come in. Outside of Survior Series, I enjoyed everything I watched: Impact, Smash Wrestling, Joey Janela's LA Confidential, MLW, New Japan, and NXT. Even then, I enjoyed about half of Survior Series. That's more than I expected.