DVDVR Message Board

NOVEMBER 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION.

If anyone was curious - the state of Louisiana is claiming that hosting Mania 34 generated $175 million dollars “in economic impact for the greater New Orleans region.”

Per the WWE - that figure is based on

“direct, indirect and induced impact derived from spending by visitors to New Orleans for WrestleMania 34.” This includes $22 million spent on hotels/accommodations within New Orleans and $9.9 million spent at area restaurants.

I wonder how the women's revolution would be viewed in a few years if any of the main stars end up permanently injured. Paige (albeit had a pre WWE career) is already retired due to injury. If Alexa and Sasha and Bayley also end up in the same boat, will this period be still be viewed favorably? 

(Sort of how some folks look at 90s AJPW when you look at the carnage that style caused ) 

No, I meant the part about not existing. Isn't that just something else from the film about them not believing they existed before going in there? Then the epic fight sequence.

2 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I wonder how the women's revolution would be viewed in a few years if any of the main stars end up permanently injured. Paige (albeit had a pre WWE career) is already retired due to injury. If Alexa and Sasha and Bayley also end up in the same boat, will this period be still be viewed favorably? 

(Sort of how some folks look at 90s AJPW when you look at the carnage that style caused ) 

The AJPW guys busy turning their spines and neck into sawdust vs the women getting injures (or botches) caused by themselves or others is different.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

Concussions, from what Dave said and I think Phil posted (maybe in a different thread).

No - it was like 5 posts ago (though to be fair, it was the last post on the last page)

Cross posting due to the bigger picture news item

The WWE announced that the winners of the Mixed Match Challenge will get spot #30 in their respective Rumbles

For those who haven't been watching

1) Supposedly the Finals will be at TLC

2) The current undefeated teams are Ember Moon/Braun, Asuka/Miz, Charlotte/AJ and Mickie James/Bobby Lashley

So I am replacing some fluorescent light tubes in the bathroom and it got me wondering.  Do the places AAA goes in Mexico save the old bulbs for Pagano and Joe Lider odo they just buy the bulbs off the rack at Home Depot?

At larger DM tournaments you often see the boxes of fresh tubes lying around. I feel like I’ve seen guys take bumps onto the boxes, with the tubes still inside. It feels like a very expensive way to hurt ones self.  I can see why garbage promotions don’t tend to last.  

Lots of Plunder + 76 hillwilliams attending your shows does not equal $$$$

26 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Asuka/Miz would seem to make sense, given that Flair and/or AJ could have title matches on the show and not be in the Rumble proper.

That would make sense but I don't see them having them repeat so I'll go with Braun/Ember.    Braun has a bad knee so coming out at #30 would help limit his in ring time and they can do the whole "the monster has #30! how could he possibly lose?!" thing..   Ember is popular enough to be a good final entry for the women. 

• Like 1

Here's what I don't get about using light tubes...

Isn't the stuff inside them incredibly toxic? I mean, there's already glass everywhere, but doesn't that dust cause cancer or other respiratory problems?

5 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Here's what I don't get about using light tubes...

Isn't the stuff inside them incredibly toxic? I mean, there's already glass everywhere, but doesn't that dust cause cancer or other respiratory problems?

I believe so but these type of dudes don't seem concerned about their longterm health 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, D.Z said:

The AJPW guys busy turning their spines and neck into sawdust vs the women getting injures (or botches) caused by themselves or others is different.

Different how? Are you saying that Misawa & Kawada et al chose to change the AJPW style to a dangerous bumping style themselves, whereas the WWE women's division are being forced to work an overly physical style against their own wishes?

On 11/11/2018 at 11:46 AM, AxB said:

If we accept that WWE fan groupthink is an actual collective opinion, and not a diverse and contradictory spectrum of opinions, it would appear that John Q WWEfan thinks that every wrestler who came from ROH is an underrated superworker who deserves a title push, every wrestler who came from TNA is only now getting the recognition they deserve, and everyone who started in the Performance centre is an overpushed Vince project who can't wrestle. And yet, going by the ratings and ticket sales, the overwhelming majority of WWE fans never watch other promotions. Even though they clearly consider the one they do watch to be the inferior product, they don't look for PopTV or Sinclair broadcasting channels, they just hatewatch RAW.

Does anyone actually do this? It's one thing to be a nine year old who loves Pepsi max or RC Cola and is disappointed that his Mum brings bottles of Coke from the Supermarket every week. But to be the 29 year old who goes to the supermarket themselves, walks down the Cola aisle, tells everyone how Pepsi max and RC are the better drinks, and then puts Coke in his trolley anyway? That's madness, man.

The problem with this boils to a bigger problem: The Internet is not a monolith, but that's worse than people think:

Fans can only get what they truly want if they can come to a consensus and say "Okay, THEM. We want THEM". 

No one person has a voice big enough to say "Okay, I want this person", and every voice blends into each other. 

And the worst part of this: Happy people go quietly and don't talk about how grateful they are they got what they wanted, they just get replaced and/or shouted down by people who aren't happy and are complaining that they didn't get what they want.

End result: The Internet DOES seem like a monolith, but it ends up being a monolith of "The Internet will only be truly happy when they have something to complain about. If we want the Internet to be happy, just do what we want and they'll have something to complain about, so they'll actually have what they truly want."