DVDVR Message Board

NOVEMBER 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION.

16 hours ago, Ryan said:

I've been looking for the video of CM Punk being an unathletic dork in the Liger workouts from his Shoot. It amused me greatly. The morons commenting on how he's "working" being shitty at it amuse me. "He was the head trainer at the ROH school!" Yes, and they were all horrible and fell out of the business.

To be fair, I'm pretty sure Punk didn't nearly have the amount of training any NJPW dojo Student had at that time. That being said, early 2000 Indy-darlings were mostly shite regarding their level of training, both athletically and ring-psychologically. 

Pick an indy-darling. Fat as fuck Chris Hero was an amazing athlete and so was Bryan Danielson as were many others. Super Dragon before his knees got all fucked up. Samoa Joe was a very good athlete too. Colt Cabana was quite athletic too.

11 minutes ago, ReiseReise said:

To be fair, I'm pretty sure Punk didn't nearly have the amount of training any NJPW dojo Student had at that time. That being said, early 2000 Indy-darlings were mostly shite regarding their level of training, both athletically and ring-psychologically. 

Well, anyone who came up in a Japanese Dojo has to have great fundamentals because until you have them down, you aren't allowed to do anything else. Whereas at some point American trainers went from that system (if you listen to Flair or Steamboat describing their training in the AWA school, it sounds pretty similar to the Japanese style... hell, even Jericho & Storm's Hart Brothers training, although that sounds a lot shorter and easier) to a real basic, like here's how to bump, here's how to flip bump, here's how to run the ropes, here's how to Moonsault, here's how to Canadian Destroyer, congratulations, you're trained! Only took a fortnight*!

* Two weeks. Apparently Americans don't know that.

2 minutes ago, Ryan said:

Pick an indy-darling. Fat as fuck Chris Hero was an amazing athlete and so was Bryan Danielson as were many others. Super Dragon before his knees got all fucked up. Samoa Joe was a very good athlete too. Colt Cabana was quite athletic too.

There are Ace Steel interviews where he talked about training Cabana and Punk. He'd show them something, Punk would take three hours and countless fails to learn it, Cabana would try it once and hit it perfectly. But Colt was an athlete, he played American Football in College. Whereas Punk was banned from High School football for having a mohawk (he claims. Possibly he washed out for being lanky and uncoordinated and the hair was his excuse).

Note: I'm not sure if those guys in the Liger session were in for a seminar or from the LA Dojo at the time. I'd have to go back and watch the whole thing. It didn't just focus on Punk or something. It was just an overview of all kinds of things. I remember Rocky Romero being there if my memory isn't failing me.

I thought Fortnite was one of dem dere vidya gamez you play on the screenamajig with the hockey puck and typewriter. Alas, we have failed you in our knowledge of words. I learned it from the Simpsons!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Ryan said:

Fat as fuck Chris Hero was kind of uncoordinated and reckless in the ring and broke a some (German) kids neck in Switzerland. It wasn't by any means his fault alone, but he was neither the athlete nor worker he turned into after receiving better training. Super Dragon quit AJPW dojo I believe because he couldn't deal with running. Danielson was a freak even back then, I'll always give you that. 

35 minutes ago, AxB said:

Whereas Punk was banned from High School football for having a mohawk (he claims. Possibly he washed out for being lanky and uncoordinated and the hair was his excuse).

I can't see that skinny kid in the photo with Austin being anywhere near interested in playing football

The President appears ready to fire Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross.  

And the name that's being floated as a replacement is Linda McMahon.  

Thanks, this has been your "How did politics invade a portion of my life I never thought it would?" post of the day. 

• Haha 2
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, Ryan said:

Does Human Tornado count as an indie darling? Fantastic, pretty athletic wrestler, lanky as he was, and a hell of a dunker, too. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mattdangerously said:

It's just called "football." Or "real football," if you must. 

It's just Rugby with extra rules and you know it. The hell you doing calling it football when the ball only hits feet if something has gone wrong somewhere? That's not football, that's Throw and Run Ball.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, AxB said:

It's just Rugby with extra rules and you know it. The hell you doing calling it football when the ball only hits feet if something has gone wrong somewhere? That's not football, that's Throw and Run Ball.

Soccer is just live foosball.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Smelly McUgly said:

Does Human Tornado count as an indie darling? Fantastic, pretty athletic wrestler, lanky as he was, and a hell of a dunker, too. 

Human Tornado was awesome. It was disappointing he had so many injuries. I remember he got injured as soon as he was going to start appearing regularly in ROH.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mattdangerously said:

It's just called "football." Or "real football," if you must. 

Nah, I call it CTE-ball. 

When your game is named after the stuff that punters and kickers do except in less interesting ways than soccer players do it, your game is trash. 

34 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Human Tornado was awesome. It was disappointing he had so many injuries. I remember he got injured as soon as he was going to start appearing regularly in ROH.

Looking at his body type and his wrestling style, his eventual lack of knees or working leg muscles was clearly in his future.

3 hours ago, ReiseReise said:

Fat as fuck Chris Hero was kind of uncoordinated and reckless in the ring and broke a some (German) kids neck in Switzerland. It wasn't by any means his fault alone, but he was neither the athlete nor worker he turned into after receiving better training. Super Dragon quit AJPW dojo I believe because he couldn't deal with running. Danielson was a freak even back then, I'll always give you that. 

I mean more 2003 and later for Hero, not his earlier days. After all the seminars and extra training. That broken neck thing is bad though. I remember him talking about it, but it's been so long.

10 hours ago, Smelly McUgly said:

This was my first exposure to Human Tornado.

• Like 2

So the wife & I were talking about who we would cast in a WWE Studios remake of The Princess Bride. We came up with the following -

Westley - Finn Balor

Buttercup - Becky Lynch

Humperdink - The Miz

Rugen - Elias

Vizzini - Paul Heyman

Fezzik - Big Show

Inigo Montoya - Seth Rollins

Miracle Max - Daniel Bryan

Valerie - Bree Bella

And of course it would be Triple H or Vince reading to the kids.

Obviously WWE would push others but who would you guys/girls cast?