DVDVR Message Board

NOVEMBER 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION.

Intentionally throwing trash someone else will have to clean up on the floor just to make a point to as third person who also won't be cleaning it up is kinda dickish.

I think Punk was a really great promo and very good wrestler who could've been a great one of he had been a little bit more athletic and coordinated, but whacha gonna do?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RolandTHTG said:

See I find this validates stories about Booker T being a total piece of shit. The stuff in TNA, the no showing indy feds at the last minute type of deal. 

It really just makes both of them comes across as assholes. Picking up trash is all fine and dandy, but Punk thinking he could order people around after anointing himself locker room leader was pretty damn moronic and douchey.

Did this Book/Punk story happen around the same time Punk was the self-appointed DVDVR leader?

The Miz being a better wrestler than punk is straight up LIEEEES. I think people try and shit on Punk because of his superiority complex, when in all actuality he was really good at his peak. Miz's best work pales in comparison to Punk's series with Joe for example. 

• Like 4

It's weird with Punk.  I was a hardcore fan of the guy when I started paying attention to his late ROH run.  He was one of the first ROH guys (leaving some wiggle room in case I forgot anybody) to have any kind of impact on the main roster.  Heck, the term gets thrown around but for indy/ROH guys trying to make in WWE he was a trailblazer.  And because he always had this anti-establishment vibe to him it was easy for me and others to buy into everything he was doing.  And I know a lot of you were big-time into that pipe bomb promo and his MITB match (the threads for those have to be in the archives somewhere)    It's just too bad that for the past few years he's shown more of his asshole tendencies and the more that's heard about him the worse it makes him out to be.  Then there's the UFC fights which are best not to talk about right now.  Ideally he'd be recognized for what effect his WWE run meant to indy wrestling but I think instead it'll be Daniel Bryan that people will think of in this regard instead.

2 hours ago, Goodear said:

As the DVDVR message board leader, I'm telling you all Miz is a better professional wrestler than CM Punk.

You don't lead the DVDVR's resident villain or tell me Miz is a better pro wrestler than CM Punk.

...and stop pointing that fucking gun at my dad!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

not to mention armed robbery

That part I would definitely not lump in with whatever shitty things Booker's done.  He's gone on record many times owning up to that and from all accounts is a much better man than he was when he did the robbery.  Besides, there's so much stuff from his wrestling days that this really isn't needed (or fair, in my opinion)

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Just out of curiousity, has anyone here seen Rebel vs. Shelly Martinez from one of those TNA One Night Only ppv's? I stumbled across it last night after watching Abdullah vs. Zeus. I couldn't sleep, so I decided to watch some beyond terrible matches.

Anyway, Rebel vs. Shelly is a must watch for all the wrong reasons. This is NSFW. Shelly was wearing a bathing suit and was close to popping out throughout the match. There's some very colorful language around 7:34.

Reveal hidden contents

She can make that assertion all she wants, but I'm going to express my doubts.

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Ryan said:

The many stories of him just being an ass?

Like blowing up at the Young Bucks for drinking Red Bull that was his in a cooler specifically for Booker T even though it was in no way marked as being for Booker T?

I think Owen was someone who had immunity. He fucked with just about everybody and it's not like people were always out to kick his ass. I almost think it would be a bigger problem if Owen didn't fuck with you.

7 minutes ago, Web Conn said:

Austin seems like the only person to have a legitimate gripe with Owen and that's cuz Owen never called after breaking his neck to see if he was alright which would have pissed me off too.

Iirc Owen reached out to him multiple times and Austin kept brushing him off. That’s why some in his family felt Austin’s tribute the night after was insincere, or at least it rubbed them the wrong way. 

6 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Ideally he'd be recognized for what effect his WWE run meant to indy wrestling but I think instead it'll be Daniel Bryan that people will think of in this regard instead.

Even then, I'd go with the hot take there: I'd argue Evan Bourne was more important to the "rise of the indies" than CM Punk was, even if he was just a midcarder. 

CM Punk was a comet, he made it from the indies to the main events, he was a once in a generation superstar, like Daniel Bryan.

That's just it.

They were generational talents, and if Punk/Bryan succeed, that doesn't necessarily mean the indy talents will succeed...and when guys like Scotty Goldman turned around and failed miserably, that would argue that "nope, being an indy name does not necessarily mean you're a surefire star anymore. Maybe Punk/Bryan are just that good."

By contrast, the success of Evan Bourne to become a very good midcarder, but never a star, might have done more for indy names, because that success would turn around and say the real message: "WWE isn't just signing people to be main eventers, you know. They need to fill a roster up and down the card, top to bottom, and fill a number of niche spots as well as the main event"...and there, Bourne's success could prove "Wait a minute. Instead of hiring some trainees who aren't very talented and using the failed experiments in the midcard, where no one cares about them...why don't we hire a bunch of really good independent talent, who already have a cult following, and make THEM our midcarders, in the process giving us better midcard matches and assuring that we can ignore the midcard booking [because their fans already are ride or die for them and will cheer them just because they're THIS GUY/THIS GIRL"?

• Like 3