DVDVR Message Board

NOVEMBER 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION.

I'm all in for them uploading some old Ninja Express matches on the WWE Network simply so when I search for Mr. Pogo and or Kendo Nagasaki I actually get a thumbnail like this:

mr-pogo-ae9feb88-4084-4d89-86fa-69ebc275

And not "NO RESULTS WERE FOUND FOR THAT TERM. PLEASE TRY A NEW SEARCH."

8 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

The bump Bryan takes on that half nelson suplex is everything that was wrong with indy wrestling & what we all thought made great matches in the early 2000s.

At the time I would have cheered that & told people Bryan & Regal were the best. Now I look at it and cant help but feel sad.

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

You should know that doing that will backfire on you...

EDIT: I also don't get the talking point of them buying PR for the stars. There aren't, say, a bunch of Hogan in PR or Macho in PR matches (in fact there are none). The major names from the old PR footage are territorial guys who mostly had a cup of coffee in the WWF. 

I think everything points to this: the footage was available for a dime, Vince paid a nickel, and they have it just to have it. 

Wasn't WWC an old developmental promotion for WWF in the early 2000s? I was reading through old wrestling magazines and they said that WWF had a developmental in Puerto Rico in the past, but wasn't sure if it was WWC or IWA. 

If WWC was the developmental, then that gives them the advantage (similar to WWE buying OVW/HWA.)

2 minutes ago, SorceressKnight said:

Wasn't WWC an old developmental promotion for WWF in the early 2000s? I was reading through old wrestling magazines and they said that WWF had a developmental in Puerto Rico in the past, but wasn't sure if it was WWC or IWA. 

If WWC was the developmental, then that gives them the advantage (similar to WWE buying OVW/HWA.)

It was IWA

That being said - the WWE has always had a good relationship with Carlos Colon and random guys (not counting his own sons) would work shows on the island.

It gives them more footage of Hall of Famers so that is another reason

• Like 1

For what it's worth, IWA wasn't a developmental territory for WWE.

They did have working relationship through Victor Quiñones that got Tajiri, Ricky Banderas, Apolo, Andy Anderson, Chet Jablonski, etc. tryout dark matches.

On 11/7/2018 at 12:46 AM, Curt McGirt said:

All the Daves turning on Richards would be a beautiful experience for everyone except Richards. 

And you know exactly who the first of them to turn on him would be. The rest would just join him partially out of fear but mostly of mutual disgust. Taylor would of course be the second to jump in. I think it would be fun to see Davey Boy balk then finally give him a powerslam.

Two flaws in that. David Von Erich would need someone with EMS experience at the scene to save him from dying. Richards is a paramedic, so DVE isn't going to attack the paramedic trying to save his life. Meanwhile, DBS has all the drugs stashed in his fanny pack, and also would have needed some medical assistance.

• Haha 1

Just out of curiousity, has anyone here seen Rebel vs. Shelly Martinez from one of those TNA One Night Only ppv's? I stumbled across it last night after watching Abdullah vs. Zeus. I couldn't sleep, so I decided to watch some beyond terrible matches.

Anyway, Rebel vs. Shelly is a must watch for all the wrong reasons. This is NSFW. Shelly was wearing a bathing suit and was close to popping out throughout the match. There's some very colorful language around 7:34.

Spoiler

• Like 1

13 hours ago, The Natural said:

That's why I hoped for a Smackdown show. How far in advance did you find out whether it was RAW or Smackdown? Have a good time bud.

I've been unlucky the past two times not getting the proffered brand. As it was RAW last night, should be Smackdown next time round.

Thanks man, yeah it was a really fun night. Found out it was Smackdown a couple of months ago, was pretty happy about that. For all the criticisms of the WWE, houseshows are always a lot of fun, matches given plenty of time and clean finishes. AJ/Bryan/Joe was a blast, Becky/Charlotte was great and Almas/Shelton was a real decent match too

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sky Blue Sam said:

Thanks man, yeah it was a really fun night. Found out it was Smackdown a couple of months ago, was pretty happy about that. For all the criticisms of the WWE, houseshows are always a lot of fun, matches given plenty of time and clean finishes. AJ/Bryan/Joe was a blast, Becky/Charlotte was great and Almas/Shelton was a real decent match too

Glad you had a fun time!

• Like 1

After seeing all the people clown him after the “locker room leader” story from Talk is Jericho, I feel like I’m in the extreme minority of fans who still like CM Punk. He’s a dick but he really was a great professional wrestler and I hope people don’t forget that. There already seems to be a lot of revisionist history with people saying “overrated” or “he never was that good”.

On 11/6/2018 at 6:03 AM, The Natural said:

As noted, I'm not going to WWE Live because more of my favourite wrestlers are on Smackdown and we're getting the RAW roster instead. The card:

Reveal hidden contents

DrGsmJBXgAAdIpv.jpg

A writeup of the RAW house show:

https://www.f4wonline.com/wwe-results/wwe-leeds-live-results-curt-hawkins-returns-ring-269671

I did right by giving it a miss.

Reading it reminds me how RAW is weak from top to bottom in names and headline acts. Smackdown's much better. I'd say Smackdown's only missing Sasha Banks, Alexa Bliss and the Revival.

21 minutes ago, FlaeBlazer said:

After seeing all the people clown him after the “locker room leader” story from Talk is Jericho, I feel like I’m in the extreme minority of fans who still like CM Punk. He’s a dick but he really was a great professional wrestler and I hope people don’t forget that. There already seems to be a lot of revisionist history with people saying “overrated” or “he never was that good”.

It's hard to remember the good times when everything we hear about him is how lame he is.

20 hours ago, FlaeBlazer said:

I still like Punk. His ROH feuds with Raven, Jimmy Rave, the Joe series, and the Summer of Punk all still hold up.

He more than exceeded expectations in WWE, in spite of some terrible booking that ruined what could have been some really good angles; namely the pipe bomb and WWE's summer of Punk. It shouldn't be forgotten Punk was the first ROH guy to have major success in WWE. Paul London and Brian Kendrick never got above tag team/cruiserweight status. Guys that may have had doubts about going to the 'E may have thought twice after seeing Punk's success. Despite what HHH might feel about him, if Punk wants to eventually return, H would put on a smile and welcome him back with open arms. By all accounts, he's a dick. I don't know him, so that has no bearing on me.

2 hours ago, FlaeBlazer said:

What story was that? I rarely listen to any podcasts. 

I like CM Punk the wrestler for the 2004 trilogy versus Samoa Joe in ROH, the Summer of Punk in ROH from 2005 and the classic match against John Cena at Money in the Bank 2011. Outside the ring, he sounds an arsehole.

22 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I can't sleep so...

Davey Boy Smith, Davey Richards, David Von Erich, Dave Taylor, Dave "Fit" Finlay vs. Jay White, Jay Lethal, Jay Briscoe, Jay Youngblood, Jay Bradley

Ron Simmons, Ron Bass, Ronnie Garvin, Ron Killings, Ron Reis vs. Bryan Danielson, Brian Cage, Brian Pillman, Brian Lee, Brian Blair

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, The Natural said:

What story was that? I rarely listen to any podcasts. 

I like CM Punk the wrestler for the 2004 trilogy versus Samoa Joe in ROH, the Summer of Punk in ROH from 2005 and the classic match against John Cena at Money in the Bank 2011. Outside the ring, he sounds an arsehole.

https://www.wrestlinginc.com/news/2018/11/chris-jericho-reveals-booker-t-response-when-cm-punk-647600/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

• Thanks 1