DVDVR Message Board

NOVEMBER 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION.

1 minute ago, mattdangerously said:

Say what you will about HBK's selling, but unlike Ospreay, at least he doesn't scream like he's being stabbed to death whenever someone puts him in a rest hold.

Putting fliers like him in a rest hold is akin to stabbing them. They only live to get radical.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, Raziel said:

Dave really has some fucking shit opinions.  He's correct that HBK can't touch Tanahashi, but that Ospreay is five times the performer?  Fuck that noise, and I don't even like HBK.  Dave can wake me when Ospreay carries a company on his back while still being a petulant shit in the ring.

I think with tape trading days being over, we can stop giving a shit about Dave's opinions once and for all. Most of us are able to see with our own eyes, almost everything is available. Wrestling-quality will always be down to opinions, but nowadays we can all make up our own minds about matches within a reasonable timeframe after they occured. Therefore we can easily ignore provocative trolling-bs like this. 

• Like 7

Meltzer on Twitter is where he goes to post provocative trolling bs. That's why he was upset when he got called out for saying Peyton Royce was a lot lighter on his poocast.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ReiseReise said:

I think with tape trading days being over, we can stop giving a shit about Dave's opinions once and for all.

giphy.gif

3 hours ago, Matt D said:

Jose Lothario was better than both Osprey and Michaels. Let's just move on.

I would say that at their peak, both Chavo Guerreros are better than Ospreay. 

Re: mats instead of rings: When I did the tour of Alaska with Virgil and Disco back in 2003, we didn't have a ring for the show we did at Kodiak Island (the rest of the bases had boxing rings), so we did the mats instead,

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Gallows has always been pretty solid, anyway. Not a super worker, but a guy that can have credible matches.

I don't know about even those.

Gallows has always struck me less as "he can have credible matches" and more a "he's a shitty hoss...but he's good friends with CM Punk, so everyone in the IWC decided that he's a great worker since every great worker is clearly friends with every other great worker, it's patently impossible for a bad worker and a good worker to be friends, and if you say one of CM Punk's friends is a good worker than CM Punk will be friends with you." 

Tying it to the other thread, Shawn Michaels and Will Ospreay are both far better than Gallows.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, SorceressKnight said:

Gallows has always struck me less as "he can have credible matches" and more a "he's a shitty hoss...but he's good friends with CM Punk, so everyone in the IWC decided that he's a great worker since every great worker is clearly friends with every other great worker, it's patently impossible for a bad worker and a good worker to be friends, and if you say one of CM Punk's friends is a good worker than CM Punk will be friends with you."

He and Anderson have always struck me as "they're American guys who have been wrestling in Japan for a long time, so the IWC braintrust decided they have to be great workers by default".

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, SorceressKnight said:

No, because Punk was friends with Cliff Compton, too, and no one ever accused him of being worth a damn. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, mattdangerously said:

No, because Punk was friends with Cliff Compton, too, and no one ever accused him of being worth a damn. 

Cliff Compton was able to make it to be a regular in Ring of Honor, when Ring of Honor still meant something, and no one questioned it for a second. 

There's still some credence there.

3 minutes ago, SorceressKnight said:

Cliff Compton was able to make it to be a regular in Ring of Honor, when Ring of Honor still meant something, and no one questioned it for a second. 

That's not as strong of an endorsement as you think it is.

• Haha 1

Dave deserves all the respect in the world for a) his longevity and b) his relentless work ethic that has kept him above everyone else in his field for the past 30 years. But I have to agree, his opinions have been all over the place for about a decade now. If I could erase one thing from wrestling culture it would be the star rating system.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Ace said:

Re: mats instead of rings: When I did the tour of Alaska with Virgil and Disco back in 2003, we didn't have a ring for the show we did at Kodiak Island (the rest of the bases had boxing rings), so we did the mats instead,

Dude this honestly looks like a MadLib or something. I wanna hear everything about this 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Rick said:

Dave deserves all the respect in the world for a) his longevity and b) his relentless work ethic that has kept him above everyone else in his field for the past 30 years.

Al Snow somewhat agrees:

I'm actually looking at the Shane thing a little differently. I think WWE was aware of the negative mainstream attention surrounding this whole thing and didn't want John Oliver or MSNBC running footage of one of the boys celebrating with a giant trophy in SA, so Shane jumped on the grenade (or was tossed on it) being part of the family and all

2 hours ago, Edwin said:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I'm actually looking at the Shane thing a little differently. I think WWE was aware of the negative mainstream attention surrounding this whole thing and didn't want John Oliver or MSNBC running footage of one of the boys celebrating with a giant trophy in SA, so Shane jumped on the grenade (or was tossed on it) being part of the family and all

Crown Jewel seems to be easier to take if you assume WWE said "we're getting dragged from all around because of this. No matter what money the Saudi government pays us, we lost more than that in our stock prices plummeting. We don't want to come here...but we have a contract. Why don't we just 'kill the town' and make the Saudis tell US not to come back?"

• Like 2