DVDVR Message Board

NOVEMBER 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION.

5 hours ago, paul sosnowski said:

Gallows and Anderson disappear.   Same thing with Sanity.  Zack Ryder's mailman asks him if he used to be a wrestler.... I'm sure there are others recently.    Yes, I know they have worked house shows, but still, its weird

Are Primo and Epico stll employed there? How long's it been since Mojo Rawley was on tv (I fast forward a lot of Raw so I easily could have missed him). 

Even with all those TV & network hours WWE still has a bloated roster. They are essentially hoarding talent at this point.  Much like latter day WCW.  

I sometimes wonder if Zack Ryder will be this generations Lanny Poffo where they just forget he has a deal and he just stays at home for 2 years getting paid.

• Like 1

Like JTG?

They used to be better at that. Making sure that even if someone was in the Creative Has Nothing For You spot was at least doing a Main Event or Superstars match every week (nice honesty in TV show naming there). You do wonder why they hoard talent though... for WCW it made a kind of sense, they'd had Austin & Foley et al under contract, released them or let them leave, and saw them become big draws up North. So when they thought they were winning the war and making massive money every week, the last thing you want to do is release El Dandy or someone and suddenly find as soon as he's in the WWF he's actually a super charismatic main event guy who was just waiting for his shot.

• Like 2

(Oops, I forgot to quote the comment about selling on a Tower of Doom spot.) Presumably, and this is just a guess, powerbombing someone who is also superplexing someone takes more energy than an assisted powerbomb?

I mean, that just came to me. Otherwise, I’ve always thought it was really dumb for that guy to sell as much or more as the rest.

1 hour ago, AxB said:

Like JTG?

They used to be better at that. Making sure that even if someone was in the Creative Has Nothing For You spot was at least doing a Main Event or Superstars match every week (nice honesty in TV show naming there). You do wonder why they hoard talent though... for WCW it made a kind of sense, they'd had Austin & Foley et al under contract, released them or let them leave, and saw them become big draws up North. So when they thought they were winning the war and making massive money every week, the last thing you want to do is release El Dandy or someone and suddenly find as soon as he's in the WWF he's actually a super charismatic main event guy who was just waiting for his shot.

Who are you to doubt El Dandy?

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Re: no ring matches, the IWA Japan House Death Match where they just destroy this tiny two story house in Japan is hilarious. Crypt the Keeper and some sleazy dude with bad hair and a boombox walk up and break all the windows, smash the door with a sledge, then Nakamaki and Winger brawl with them inside after the table they're eating dinner on gets kicked over. Includes slo-mo and a narrator. Has to be seen to be believed.

The best is when the boombox guy stops to take his shirt off and dance/flex and a fellow biking by gets freaked out.

• Like 1

On 11/1/2018 at 10:27 PM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I'm thinking either Balor or Nakamura. 

Speaking of former NJPW guys, why have Gallows and Anderson completely disappeared? Do I just chalk it up to the complete ineptitude of Road Dogg and the SD writing team?

Probable reason for most of this:

Gallows had seemed to be a very good prospect for WWE when he signed, but upon further review the WWE realized he was Luke Gallows.

Anderson just became guilty by association. 

1 hour ago, SorceressKnight said:

Probable reason for most of this:

Gallows had seemed to be a very good prospect for WWE when he signed, but upon further review the WWE realized he was Luke Gallows.

Anderson just became guilty by association. 

Gallows and Anderson both have personality, but because they work for WWE, they don't get to display that personality. As far as ring work goes, a company that puts on HHH & Shawn Michaels vs. Taker & Kane in 2018 should not be able to be down on anyone's ring work.

I'm sticking with my theory that Road Dogg is completely inept at his job as the lead writer of SD. Someone inept at their job presenting their work to an old man with attention span of a 2 year old is a recipe for disaster. 

On 11/1/2018 at 10:39 PM, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Hot(?) take: Road Dogg catches too much shit just because people know his name. 

He has a two hour show and still has superiors to run things past. Cut the guy some slack. 

Been saying that for months. 

Went to Burger King on my way back home. The app did not recognize the location since it had been rebuilt. I did not yell at the girl working at the window. 

Also Dogg does not get credit when things go well. The build up of the Bludgeons and the Fashion Police segments were always good. I also feel the AJ Styles reign with the limitations that are in place. 

Honestly it is better to keep guys off TV if you have nothing good for them. That was the Russo problem. He would give everyone something, but most of it is shit and the fans blame the performer. 

8 hours ago, FlaeBlazer said:

Lol, Dave. He’s talking about Shawn Michaels here.

Dave really has some fucking shit opinions.  He's correct that HBK can't touch Tanahashi, but that Ospreay is five times the performer?  Fuck that noise, and I don't even like HBK.  Dave can wake me when Ospreay carries a company on his back while still being a petulant shit in the ring.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Raziel said:

Dave really has some fucking shit opinions.  He's correct that HBK can't touch Tanahashi, but that Ospreay is five times the performer?  Fuck that noise, and I don't even like HBK.  Dave can wake me when Ospreay carries a company on his back while still being a petulant shit in the ring.

Yeah, strongly disagree with Meltz saying Ospreay is better than Michaels. No way.

It's not an apples to apples comparison, though. Michaels is a small heavyweight from the pre-Rey Mysterio era, Ospreay is a big cruiserweight from the post Rey Mysterio era. What was considered to be a high flying super athlete in the late 80s/ early 90s is a standard heavyweight now. Michaels is a guy who got over on his charisma and selling (and being pushed as a top guy, and not laying down for anyone), but he was the most athletic guy in the WWF for a good while (and once you're over as being something, people tend to accept you always will be that thing. Jeff Hardy is still considered to be a small highflyer even though he's much bigger than guys like AJ Styles or Daniel Bryan, and not much smaller than Randy Orton).

In terms of being a highflyer who hits super athletic spots, Ospreay is way better than Michaels was. But in terms of being a company ace and main eventing, he hasn't been put in that spot yet. He's 25 years old and has been Wrestling for 8 years. At the point in Shawn's career, the Rockers were already in the WWF but hadn't even won his first (phantom) Tag title yet.

Speaking of Jeff Hardy and Rey Mysterio, that could have happened at Crown Jewel and didn't. But have they ever had an actual singles match against each other? I think it's just tags and multiman eliminations.

• Like 1