DVDVR Message Board

SDL - 10/30/2018 - Jewel of Denial

Dolfan in NYC

16 minutes ago, Rick said:

Punk was featured on Raw 25, albeit not for long. Vince still follows him on twitter, whether Vince actually mans the account is another topic. Details matter, if they were hell-bent on deleting Punk's existence then it wouldn't be difficult to do so. WWE treat the WWE title like a secondary belt compared to the Raw belt anyway. I don't think there's much truth to the rumor that AJ has been given such a long reign just to spite a former employee. AJ was pivoted into carrying the blue brand as soon as Cena became a part-timer. It could be argued Joe had a very hot summer and deserved his turn, but that's neither here nor there now. 

Personally I like long title reigns.

They would have given Nakamura a reign during the AJ feud or Joe when it would have helped that feud.

• Like 1

Doesn't AJ already hold the title of being the ''Longest WWE champion in Smackdown history''? 

Punk's title of being the longest champion of the modern era was just a gimmick to bolster the importance of his reign for Rock to come back and beat. The ''Modern era'' title is a nothingburger. Bruno holds the record, case closed. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rick said:

Doesn't AJ already hold the title of being the ''Longest WWE champion in Smackdown history''? 

Punk's title of being the longest champion of the modern era was just a gimmick to bolster the importance of his reign for Rock to come back and beat. The ''Modern era'' title is a nothingburger. Bruno holds the record, case closed. 

I think you're right. JBL's reign seemed so much longer at the time

24 minutes ago, hammerva said:

By the way I know the WWE is trying to save money but seriously you can't have a rising flaming entrance just a bunch of guys laying on the ground in I guess a pentagram form with what looks to be red road flares in their hands ?

Pretty sure sure that was more for comedic effect than anything else.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Rick said:

I agree, but the company can't really do stories now so they have to cook up streaks and records. For them the modern record stuff is important. 

I tend to enjoy longer title reigns too. These days everything seems to fly by quicker than ever but back then I was one of the few who loved both JBL/HHH reigns on top of RAW/SD, those kind of runs where it's like 'who the hell will finally beat this guy' even though those were only about 10 months. Always enjoy the creative heel ways they would end up retaining sometimes (JBL in the barbed wire cage with Big Show, HHH in the Chamber). It was one of my favorite bits about Bobby Roode's 2011-2012 TNA run, he retained his title each month in a unique/different way each time whether it was cheating, luck, stipulations, etc.

Next week is AJ's one year mark and it definitely went quick but I've been enjoying his reign a lot lately even if it has been months of the same matches with Nakamura and Joe for a lot of it. This being the fourth major match with Joe when they've already done the DQ finish, the 'controversial/fluke' finish, and the definitive clean tapout finish is all that has me questioning the outcome this time around, even if it is last minute. As mentioned above, if it was Joe/Braun at Survivor Series they'd have no problem having Joe get flattened there while I would hope they would never put AJ down like that. But yeah I'd much rather Styles/Brock II.