DVDVR Message Board

Raw is The Soulless Lunatic - 10/29/2018

Dolfan in NYC

5 hours ago, Phantom Lord said:

Also I can't believe they're gonna blow Ronda vs. Becky on this dumb Raw vs. Smackdown thing. That was a Wrestlemania match right there.

To fans, sure, but to the booking team?  I'd love Ronda vs. Asuka at Mania more than vs. Becky, but the booking team will no doubt blow their wad for Ronda vs. Charlotte.

Becky's in the Daniel Bryan slot this ROAD TO WRESTLEMANIA:  they're going to try to put her in a throwaway match, but the crowd is going to openly shit on whoever's being pushed above her until they have to change course in some way.

• Like 3

I miss crazy, svelte, and ruggedly handsome Dean Ambrose from FCW. 

Bald, pudgy Dean Ambrose looks likes that uncle that you dread showing up for Thanksgiving dinner.

The one that smokes too much and fall asleep in front of the television when the Rose Bowl is on.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, w. josh said:

Becky's in the Daniel Bryan slot this ROAD TO WRESTLEMANIA:  they're going to try to put her in a throwaway match, but the crowd is going to openly shit on whoever's being pushed above her until they have to change course in some way.

Maybe its time to take a break when your favorite is the middle of her biggest push of her career and you are already saying its going to end and you don't like it.

• Like 5

I mean, making Charlotte vs Ronda isn't hard at all. I still think Becky holds onto the title until WM or maybe loses it and regains it at WM, but she's not losing it to Charlotte. I'm guessing Charlotte wins the Royal Rumble and chooses to challenge Ronda. Then you could do a renewed push for Asuka or, hell, if creative is coming around to the fact that you can't turn Becky heel, give her a feud against the IIconics. Who wouldn't want to see Becky beat the shit out of them every week? It would be like Austin beating on Pat and Gerald. Then maybe have Peyton win the title in some kind of fuck finish and then Becky gets the title back at WM by beating the shit out of both of them.

11 hours ago, The Green Meanie said:

But we're not on THE ROAD TO WRESTLEMANIA yet.

4 hours ago, CreativeControl said:

*points at banner preemptively*

I hope HHH works with Ronda on her banner pointing. That's really the last part of her transition to get down.

10 hours ago, Eivion said:

So they give most of the Raw women a big tag match, set up a feud, and announced a big champion vs champion match for the next ppv. Outside of announcing a new show for women or tag titles how what could/should they have done?

They could start building non-title feuds again. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Green Meanie said:

Welllllll that and learning how to speak properly. She talks like she has a pile of rocks in her mouth.

She could be doing a tribute to Mushmouth. He was a very underrated character, who was always in Fat Albert's shadow.

2 hours ago, nate said:

To fans, sure, but to the booking team?  I'd love Ronda vs. Asuka at Mania more than vs. Becky, but the booking team will no doubt blow their wad for Ronda vs. Charlotte.

To the booking team's perception of a mythical casual audience is more like it.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, J.T. said:

I miss crazy, svelte, and ruggedly handsome Dean Ambrose from FCW. 

Bald, pudgy Dean Ambrose looks likes that uncle that you dread showing up for Thanksgiving dinner.

The one that smokes too much and fall asleep in front of the television when the Rose Bowl is on.

Why is the Rose Bowl on Thanksgiving? :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Casey said:

RAW and Smackdown don't go head-to-head in the Royal Rumble. It's every man (and woman) for themselves. And then the winner picks which brand's champion they want to face. We go through this same dumb argument every year.

This is the WWE-est argument and it ALMOST works for backing up “One time of the year...” statement until you remember that Raw/SD guys will end up facing each other in the World Cup at Crown Jewel and also did at Money in the Bank. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

They could start building non-title feuds again. 

Like Tamina vs. Nia? Or Becky vs. Ronda? The next big show women are involved in is SS, and that is the build that seemingly started here.

22 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Why is the Rose Bowl on Thanksgiving? :)

Bald, pudgy Dean is that extremely dreaded uncle who would take up residence on your couch on Thanksgiving, and still be there come New Year's Day.

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Goodear said:

Maybe its time to take a break when your favorite is the middle of her biggest push of her career and you are already saying its going to end and you don't like it.

As much as I loved the feud, some of the fan reaction has been interesting in that some fans got more rather than less fearful about the booking after Becky won the title clean. (And when you look at it, Becky's major push started back in June with that winning streak she went on from then through July.) Personally, I think Becky winning so decisively also leaves the door open for a resumption of this feud on Raw next year, if they choose. Assuming Charlotte beats Ronda, its very possible to have Becky rejoin her on Raw to remind her of who she never beat. (Plus you know they'd want to share the same roster if they can given their real-life friendship. Their recent Ride Along episode included a backstage snippet from the 2016 draft of Charlotte comforting a weeping Becky after they learned they were on separate rosters.)

15 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Like Tamina vs. Nia? Or Becky vs. Ronda? The next big show women are involved in is SS, and that is the build that seemingly started here.

Becky and Ronda is a feud?  They are on different brands and will have one random match at SS with minimal interaction beforehand. And they are both champions already.  What story line does Asuka have,  what story line does Bayley have, what story line does Ember have..  etc

You look at a guy like Lashley and he's getting TV time every week,  multiple segments,  new manager,  a feud with Balor.. before that he was feuding with other people too,  most notably Roman.  He always has something going on.  Dolph Ziggler always has something going on. Orton always has something going on.  None of these types are holding a title right now. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Becky and Ronda is a feud?  They are on different brands and will have one random match at SS with minimal interaction beforehand. And they are both champions already.  What story line does Asuka have,  what story line does Bayley have, what story line does Ember have..  etc

Not everyone can be served at once when dealing with such a large roster, and we both know the people you mentioned will almost certainly be building towards the women's elimination match for SS. I suppose they could have started that build last night, but I suspect that 10-women tag was supposed to be something for those who maybe wanted to work with Trish and Lita before they left again along with one more match with the legends for the fans. I'm not arguing more can't be done. WWE's tunnel vision one woman focus for the main roster divisions annoys the shit out of me. That said, the complaints about the tag happening and pretending like nothing else was built feels off and like people are looking for excuses to be angry.

1 hour ago, Eivion said:

WWE's tunnel vision one woman focus for the main roster divisions annoys the shit out of me. That said, the complaints about the tag happening and pretending like nothing else was built feels off and like people are looking for excuses to be angry.

No, I think you're right about the 10-woman tag.  I think everyone loved to be out there working with Lita and Trish. But for a while SDL had sometimes 3 women's story lines going on at once,  a couple non-title feuds thrown in there..  I was expecting more of that heading into Evolution.  The event itself was great,  I'd like to see more air time spent on non-title feuds. 

9 hours ago, Casey said:

Which is different from something like Survivor Series where it's "brand versus brand". You don't see Smackdown aligned wrestlers trying to eliminate wrestlers from the same brand at Survivor Series - but you do at the Rumble. It's just not the same, because the winner of the RR can leave their current brand and challenge for the other's top title. The winner(s) of a Survivor Series match can't do that. You aren't seeing the IC champion versus the US champion, etc. on the Rumble PPV. Or WrestleMania, or any other PPV. There's a whole host of things to bitch and moan about with the current main roster product, and every year around this time, it's this.

Even beyond the other ones, though, the Royal Rumble is proof of this:

Asuka won the Royal Rumble. She chose to challenge Charlotte for her top title.

However, Asuka moved to Smackdown in the Superstar Shakeup...which meant she didn't leave Raw when she challenged for Smackdown's top title.

Hence, Raw and Smackdown went head-to-head at Wrestlemania.

13 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

No, I think you're right about the 10-woman tag.  I think everyone loved to be out there working with Lita and Trish. But for a while SDL had sometimes 3 women's story lines going on at once,  a couple non-title feuds thrown in there..  I was expecting more of that heading into Evolution.  The event itself was great,  I'd like to see more air time spent on non-title feuds. 

I miss that time on SDL. I wish they would do that again for both shows. Even NXT can manage two feuds while trying to build up the characters for others.