DVDVR Message Board

UFC 230: Cormier vs. Lewis (11/3/2018) - New York, NY (Madison Square Garden)

Elsalvajeloco

I just like seeing a fighter actually have respect for another human and not want to murder a guy.

Jacare looked scary. Weidman kept popping him in the face and for the most part he just kept walking forward. And the one time Weidman took him down Jacare turned it around very quickly. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Very good win for Jared Cannonier. Wrestling is going to bedevil him no matter what division, but he ain't no easy fight.

It's eerie that I was watching Bowe-Golota I (the riot fight at the Garden) earlier and an out of shape Bowe showed up at 252...a pound over what DC weighed yesterday. If he can tough out a training camp with a bad hand so be it, but he ain't in the best shape really. We will see if it's an issue. However, I expect DC to play it safe like the Silva fight and just go for takedowns.

And Bowe is like 6 inches taller than Cormier. 251 at 5'11 is a big boy. And 39 years old. And Lewis looks fucking great right now going from one camp to the other. It just feels like a perfect storm for an upset.

I like both guys here but Cormier has really grown me. A big part of that was the Jones saga and thecredemption arc from being the place-holder of the LHW division to the two weight class champion he became.

Edit - this looks like Lewis is going to have about a 30 second window at the beginning of each round for as long as this fight lasts.

Yeah, there was a flash in the second where Derrick Lewis almost caught him but the gulf was toooooo wide. Surprised no one talked to Lewis about getting lower to make it just a little harder for a wrestler to find his hips. The window was fucking massive for DC to find his legs.

Let's say Jon Jones beats Gustafsson as expected. And then DC beats Lesnar as expected. Do we really think DC would turn down the Jones super fight at that point because it's past his 40th birthday? He's such a competitor, like Meltzer spoke to this past week, that I don't see him saying no to that between his need to face "clean" Jones/redeem himself and perhaps an even bigger pay day than the Lesnar fight with the tidal wave of momentum those two would be riding.

1 hour ago, Oyaji said:

Let's say Jon Jones beats Gustafsson as expected. And then DC beats Lesnar as expected. Do we really think DC would turn down the Jones super fight at that point because it's past his 40th birthday? He's such a competitor, like Meltzer spoke to this past week, that I don't see him saying no to that between his need to face "clean" Jones/redeem himself and perhaps an even bigger pay day than the Lesnar fight with all of the momentum those two would have at that point. 

Daniel Cormier's said for a while he'll stop when he turns 40. I think he will. If I was Double Champ? I'd wash my hands of Jones, the serial fuckup. I expect Bones to mess up again as that's what he does.

• Like 1

I won't be surprised at all if Brock doesn't make it to the fight for whatever reason and we do end up with Cormier-Jones III.

Like The Natural said though, I don't think that's a fight that Cormier woukd chase if there are other fights available with similar paydays. I was kind of alluding to this earlier, but if things had shaken out differently after the first and second Jones fights then we might have seen Cormier look for some revenge and cement his legacy. As it stands now though, their positions have basically flipped. Cormier's got nothing to prove to anybody and is going to go down in history as one of the best in this era while Jones has so many asterisks hanging beside his name from the past few years that ,remarkably, he's the one with something to prove now. I guess what I am saying is Jones needs that fight more than Cormier at this moment strangely enough and why should Cormier help him out?

Also, my laptop keyboards been messed up for a few months now which is why I haven't been posting much here lately. I have a really hard time writing out any longer posts on my phone without making a bunch of typos or losing my train of thought.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Let's say Jon Jones beats Gustafsson as expected. And then DC beats Lesnar as expected. Do we really think DC would turn down the Jones super fight at that point because it's past his 40th birthday? He's such a competitor, like Meltzer spoke to this past week, that I don't see him saying no to that between his need to face "clean" Jones/redeem himself and perhaps an even bigger pay day than the Lesnar fight with the tidal wave of momentum those two would be riding.

You don't get emotional like Cormier did after the second fight with Jon and then just be mentally beyond that. I think he's over the novelty of fighting, but as far as Jon Jones goes, that chapter hasn't been finished yet.  Not by a longshot. Cormier knows that as long as Lesnar is still doing WWE commitments, it's not a safe bet that Lesnar may return to MMA and moreover fight Cormier. He can goad Brock however he wants and for however long, but he knows that payday is far from guaranteed.

I don't think it's a matter of who needs who. These guys don't have different purses per fight like in boxing that's determined by the promoters, sponsors, or the networks. Even if it was, I don't see scenario where it would be anything but mutual. Neither Jones or Cormier is an unimpeachable super draw regardless of opponent. In terms of legacy, they are always going to be tied together through their rivalry. Cormier wants to be liked and does everything to be liked, but the anti-hero Jon Jones is still seen as more legitimate than him. Cormier could carry five or six titles out with him and still not have "the real thing" like Jon Jones with or without a belt. That's why DC will NEVER turn a fight with Jon Jones down. Not if those ideas still permeate his mind and inform opinions about his own legacy. DC doesn't want to be the fraud on the throne and the only thing that will prove otherwise is beating Jon Jones convincingly. So I don't buy Cormier ending his battle against perception. He can say and do whatever he wants and still get paid, but no other fight offers him the chance to get monetarily rewarded and slay the dragon.

• Like 1