DVDVR Message Board

Survivor Series 2018

MonteCarl

5 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I think a lot of the reaction is based on a couple of things (and ignoring the usual folks who yell just to yell)

- Nia has a few things in a short period of time. Many blame her for Zelina Vega's injury at Evolution (for which Vega was just cleared to return from). So that is two in the span of three weeks. 

- It took away arguably the hottest match/Main Event of a Big 4 PPV.

Wasn't Vega more on Tamina's failure to catch her properly? The reaction has a lot more to do with the simple fact that there have been many who disliked Nia from the getgo, and this gives them an easy excuse to pile on her. Nothing will happen, but they get to pat themselves on the back for being so right and will go on to ignore the next time a favorite of theirs injures someone badly.

• Like 1

Wow, I was really hoping they were saving that one for the Wrestlemania build. People throw around the ethered comment way too easily like someone saying Becky ethered Nia in her response to Nia's hand tweet (it was good but nowhere near that level). That right there was a damn ethering.

26 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Wow, I was really hoping they were saving that one for the Wrestlemania build. 

We all know these damn millennials can’t commit to somethinf that far off. This generation has problems with instant gratification. 

I’m happy we get the real dream match this Sunday between Charlotte and Ronda. 

2 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Becky's a decent enough performer with some star power. Her social media is lame, but it doesn't hurt me that much.

The way her fans talk about her though? Woof. And it's everywhere. The last few months of reading that nonsense has turned me into Abe Simpson. 

Now imagine how it feels to read this board when you have a realistic view of AJ Styles and his abilities.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

Now imagine how it feels to read this board when you have a realistic view of AJ Styles and his abilities.

I don’t need to imagine. I’ve seen the good/very good work pour in while he’s still regarded most places as a transcendent talent. The booking hindered things a bit, but he wasn’t as great as his reputation suggests. 

I’m glad the title switched last night. SmackDown needed a shake up. 

56 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Wow, I was really hoping they were saving that one for the Wrestlemania build. People throw around the ethered comment way too easily like someone saying Becky ethered Nia in her response to Nia's hand tweet (it was good but nowhere near that level). That right there was a damn ethering.

I was the one who said she ethered Nia and she did. This woman has boxes and boxes of the shit. NO ONE ON TWITTER IS SAFE.

I want Becky talking this kind of mad shit every week. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, RIPPA said:

These are all the people who are currently not on the card (who as far as I know are not injured - and not counting 205 Live or weirdos like John Cena and the Undertaker)

• Aiden English (SDL)
  • AJ Styles (SDL)
  • Andrade "Cien" Almas (SDL)
  • Apollo Crews (RAW)
  • Bayley (RAW)
  • Billie Kay (SDL)
  • Bo Dallas (RAW)
  • Curt Hawkins (SDL)
  • Dana Brooke (RAW)
  • Dean Ambrose (RAW)*
  • Elias (RAW)
  • Harper (SDL)
  • Heath Slater (RAW)
  • Jinder Mahal (RAW)
  • Lana (SDL)
  • Liv Morgan (RAW)*
  • Mandy Rose (SDL)
  • Mojo Rawley (RAW)
  • No Way Jose (
  • Peyton Royce (SDL)
  • R-Truth (SDL)*
  • Randy Orton (SDL)*
  • Rhyno (RAW)
  • Rusev (SDL)
  • Sarah Logan (RAW)*
  • Sasha Banks (RAW)
  • Singh Brothers (RAW)
  • Shelton Benjamin (SDL)
  • Titus O'Neil (RAW)
  • Tyler Breeze (RAW)
  • Zelina Vega (SDL)

* - Based on things, I figure these folks will show up either as seconds or in angles

Are there any EVOLVE shows running this weekend that are lacking star power? Lol

1 hour ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

AJ Styles is at worst a top 3 U.S. performer since 2000.   Any criticism thrown his way falls on deaf ears because it's nitpicking.

Edit:  I am talking about in-ring criticism,  not his dumb comments outside of the ring. 

I mean, there WAS a time back in the early 2000's were he was one of the worst limb sellers I had ever seen. 

No matter what you do AJ, I will never forget RoH 2nd Anniversary Show.

I do think some fans act like AJ is just as good now as he was in New Japan, despite a lack of evidence.

He's been really good in WWE for the most part, but it's hard to ignore that his feuds with KO and Nak both fell pretty flat.

On the other hand, he's been the best in the company at never having a bad match pretty much since he got there. Jinder? No problem, it'll be fine.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Becky's a decent enough performer with some star power. Her social media is lame, but it doesn't hurt me that much.

The way her fans talk about her though? Woof. And it's everywhere. The last few months of reading that nonsense has turned me into Abe Simpson. 

No. Wrong. She’s amazing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 6

11 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

I do think some fans act like AJ is just as good now as he was in New Japan, despite a lack of evidence.

He's been really good in WWE for the most part, but it's hard to ignore that his feuds with KO and Nak both fell pretty flat.

On the other hand, he's been the best in the company at never having a bad match pretty much since he got there. Jinder? No problem, it'll be fine.

AJ Styles January 2016-January 2017 was one of the best first year efforts in WWE history with Jericho, the two matches with Roman Reigns were standouts and Cena.

Styles and Owens have never clicked in ring for me. The Nakamura matches were disappointing but I'd put that more on Nak, he's inconsistent.

Credit to AJ saving us from Jinder's fucking awful WWE Champion run and getting the most out of Brock in a match since 2015. Impressive to get a year plus reign as WWE Champion but Styles' position on PPV cards was more in the middle than the main event. That's on booking.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

AJ Styles is at worst a top 3 U.S. performer since 2000.   Any criticism thrown his way falls on deaf ears because it's nitpicking.

Well, he's obviously extremely talented at the purely mechanical aspects of wrestling. His execution is superb. I sometimes think he can do anything in the ring, except make me give a rat's ass about the outcome of his matches. Problem is, that's IMO the most important part of being a pro wrestler. So I don't think pointing out his deficiencies in that area qualifies as nitpicking.

For the record, I haven't seen any of his New Japan work. I don't watch the WWE weekly shows either, so I'm judging him solely on what he's done on PPVs the last couple of years.

I'll give him that too. I've never seen him stink up the joint. But he also never seems to produce truly great matches. Maybe other people just value consistency more than I do, but to me that doesn't even put him in the conversation for best in the world.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Interesting post, @tbarrie. Contenders for best in the world, I'd offer up: Kazuchika Okada, Hiroshi Tanahashi, Kenny Omega, Tetsuya Naito, Daniel Bryan, Johnny Gargano and Pete Dunne.

Thanks Natural. I don't really watch enough wrestling to comment on best in the world myself (from your list, I've only seen a smattering of Okada, one Omega match, and no Tanahashi, Naito, or Dunne). But the list of WWE guys I'd rank ahead of Styles is pretty long, and includes some names that would cause some people on this board to doubt my sanity.

• Thanks 1