DVDVR Message Board

Survivor Series 2018

MonteCarl

4 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

I prefer that to whatever Seth’s been doing at Survivor Series. Those shirts hurt my brain. 

The split shirts? Horrible stuff.

I felt Survivor Series needed to be rebuilt as it was lagging behind the other big three shows and I'd say it has since 2014.

2014: Team Cena end Team Authority with Sting's WWE debut...only for The Authroity to be brought back shortly after.

2015: The Undertaker's 25th anniversary. A tournament to crown the new WWE Champion as Seth Rollins vacated with his knee injury.  Roman Reigns is the winner but loses after Sheamus cashes in his MITB contract.

2016: First Survivor Series since the roster split was reintroduced. Goldberg wrestles for WWE, his last match was at WrestleMania XX and he defeats Brock Lesnar in two minutes.

2017: WWE vs. Universal Champion, IC vs. US Champion, Tag Team Champions vs. Tag Team Champions and the women's champions face one another.

So since they are going with champs vs. champs again

At the moment - the matches would be (based on last year)

• Braun Strowman or Brock Lesnar vs. AJ Styles
  • Ronda Rousey vs. Becky Lynch
  • Ambrose/Rollins vs. The Bar
  • Rollins vs. Shinsuke Nakamura
  • Women's RAW vs. Smackdown
  • Men's RAW vs. Smackdown

Obviously - they need to do something before the show to straighten out the RAW tag and IC title. Or just punish us by having Rollins wrestle twice.

1 minute ago, tbarrie said:

Didn't they also have Shield vs New Day last year? You'd think they'd want to add a seventh interbrand match again this year to eliminate the possibility of a tie, though I don't know what match they'd choose.

Yes.

10 hours ago, Eivion said:

Kind of annoyed Becky vs. Ronda is happening. Neither really should be losing right now.

Honestly, this is the ideal situation to hand Ronda her first clean loss.  She's been made to look like a killer, but Becky has been a house of fire and is much more of a skilled veteran than the rookie.  Have her start to get into her over-confident, barking at her opponent, and *bam* small package.  She loses, since it's non-title, she seems a little more vulnerable to her challengers, and we get to see how she deals with adversity.  Becky gets a huge bump up for being the one who took down the unstoppable machine on Raw, inflating her ego even more, and cementing her a solid, legit champ, having taken down Charlotte & Ronda back to back. 

6 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

The answer for Survivor Series is to go back to full traditional five on five or four on four matches. 

I don't think it works as well in 2018 as it did in 1988 because we see so much more interaction between wrestlers now. When TV/House shows were so regimented in the late 80s, with name wrestlers rarely interacting on TV as either opponents or tag partners and them running the same matches on the loop for months and months on end, it was really novel to see Andre team with Dino Bravo or Jake with Duggan and Tito. Any of that was immediately different. It's just not the same now. That's something they can't recapture. 

If they wanted to go interbrand, what would be interesting would be if they did the Ultimate Survival gimmick from 90 where all of the Raw superstars that survive face all the Smackdown superstars that survive at the end, so you end up with weird teams that you'd never get otherwise. 

Even then you'd need some sort of stakes (even if it was just the brand who wins gets the #30 slot at the Rumble). 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Honestly, this is the ideal situation to hand Ronda her first clean loss.  She's been made to look like a killer, but Becky has been a house of fire and is much more of a skilled veteran than the rookie.  Have her start to get into her over-confident, barking at her opponent, and *bam* small package.  She loses, since it's non-title, she seems a little more vulnerable to her challengers, and we get to see how she deals with adversity.  Becky gets a huge bump up for being the one who took down the unstoppable machine on Raw, inflating her ego even more, and cementing her a solid, legit champ, having taken down Charlotte & Ronda back to back. 

I would love this to be true but I think Ronda/Becky is this year’s Brock/AJ: I know how I want it to go and I know how it’s going to go and it’s a bummer but it should be fun while it lasts.

2 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

That's also a really good way to get Becky back with the WWE horsewomen.  Becky wins via roll-up, Rhonda (and other NXT horsewomen?) snap and beat her down after the match with Becky eventually being saved by Charlotte (and Sasha & Bayley if you want to include everyone).  

3 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Ronda having her first big loss occur before the Horsewomen's feud starts would feel incredibly off since she should be the final boss for the NXT Horsewomen.

36 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Ronda having her first big loss occur before the Horsewomen's feud starts would feel incredibly off since she should be the final boss for the NXT Horsewomen.

I like the narrative in your head more than reality but unfortunately, we all live in reality. 

I like the finish to It's Time being re-used here. Charlotte on commentary, Becky pushes Ronda into her, Charlotte hits Ronda, costs her the match. We move forward. However, that could be difficult in transitioning to the women's Rumble if its obvious that Charlotte is winning (unless you did the whole deal of Charlotte replicating her dad's win)

Becky gives Ronda the best fight she’s had yet. Ronda gets her in the arm bar all fluky like. Becky tries to break the hold for like five minutes. Maybe she does the thing where you pick up the person applying the arm bar and powerbomb them. A couple times. She can’t get Ronda off of her. Finally, either she passes out from the pain or the referee stops the match for Becky’s safety. Becky can claim she never lost and Ronda’s streak is intact.

I can see one or two title changes before Survivor Series to set up different champion vs. champion matches for Survivor Series. That happened last year when AJ Styles won the WWE Championship, Charlotte Flair the WWE Smackdown Live Championship and Sheamus/Cesaro became WWE RAW Tag Team Champions.

There's a possibility of AJ Styles vs. Brock Lesnar in a champion vs. champion rematch from Survivor Series 2017. That was a great match but I don't want Brock as WWE Universal Champion again.

1 hour ago, Eivion said:

I'd rather we get AJ vs.Braun. I'm actually good with Nakamura vs. Seth. I assume we get new Raw tag champs before then.

If they were, you know, good at storytelling, I'd keep the Shield as champs for the time being.  Have them face The Bar and between tags just start beating each other up, but whenever Cesaro or Sheamus get too close, they get beat the fuck down.  

Dean and Seth are brothers.  So let them fight like brothers.  No one else gets to be involved but them.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

If they were, you know, good at storytelling, I'd keep the Shield as champs for the time being.  Have them face The Bar and between tags just start beating each other up, but whenever Cesaro or Sheamus get too close, they get beat the fuck down.  

Dean and Seth are brothers.  So let them fight like brothers.  No one else gets to be involved but them.

I would love that, but the the story they are telling feels more like a complete breakdown of the relationship than anything else.

WWE Universal Champion Brock Lesnar vs. WWE Champion AJ Styles

WWE Intercontinental Champion Seth Rollins vs. WWE United States Champion Shinsuke Nakamura

RAW Women's Champion Ronda Rousey vs. SmackDown Women's Champion Becky Lynch