DVDVR Message Board

SDL - 10/23/2018 - Don't Make Friends With Anyone

Dolfan in NYC

8 minutes ago, Jamal said:

I really liked the Performance Center segment with Charlotte and Becky. This is the match I think I'm looking forward to seeing most at Evolution. Poor Charlotte. If she wins, she'll be booed out of the building lol 

If that mess with the women was all that they could come up with to hype the battle royal, I give up lol 

The contrast between those segments was very telling.  The Charlotte/Becky segment felt fresh, had careful writing (some of Charlotte's lines in her speech were taken from real interviews of hers to help blur the lines between fiction and reality), some really cool background details (like Sara looking on proudly, Rhea Ripley being bored by Charlotte, and the UFC Horsewomen being delighted to see their WWE counterparts brawling), and an exchange (Charlotte: Who are you? Becky: I'm the women's champion!) which spoke volumes as to where the characters are at this point  of their long feud, with Charlotte still trying to deal with losing her best friend, while Becky is consumed by keeping the title and her desire to destroy Charlotte.

The battle royal segment on the other hand? Utterly and bizarrely lazy, especially combined with the 75-second 'fatal four-way' match on Raw this week.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Infinit said:

Why did they bother calling up Sanity? How many times have they been on tv?

Probably 4 or 5 times and I think they lost to the New Day each time. One of those times was Dain in that dumb looking singlet.

1 hour ago, Infinit said:

Why did they bother calling up Sanity? How many times have they been on tv?

Why? I guess it was decided there was nothing left for them to do in nxt, and to make room for new signings coming in.

To answer your second question, not enough.

• Like 1

More than a New Day/Bar & Big Show program, I feel like a Sanity/Bar Show program could be awesome if booked right. With Road Dogg booking, my faith in that is less than zero. You want to build up Killian Dain, have him slam Big Show. I'd be into Sanity "Freebirding" the tag titles. I'd put Nikki back with Sanity to tip the scales in their favor because you can't combat crazy. Plus, her going after the women's title would be good stuff.

• Like 1

I thought SDL was at it's best when Shane O was a big part of the show (even if not necessarily as a part of feud like the initial late 2016 Shane/Bryan commish/GM run) so I'm glad he's back. Brings an excitement to the show at least that's otherwise not there, and still gets massive pops.

13 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Why? I guess it was decided there was nothing left for them to do in nxt, and to make room for new signings coming in.

To answer your second question, not enough.

Glad Nikki is in NXT still, she has to win the NXT Women's Championship at some point.

• Like 1

I don't know what to make of the Big show heel turn, and I don't know the WWE does either. Isn't the BAR's thing that they are two brutes joining forces, why would they need a muscle? If they wanted the NEW Day to be in a feud with another trio why not Sanity?

For a second week in a row AJ and Bryan vs Uso's was very awesome. This week AJ causes his team to lose, last week it was Bryans fault. I'm looking super forward for AJ vs Bryan even if it's taking place in the Dark Ages. If there's a silver lining to Romans diagnosis it might be the resurrance of the Uso's on the tag scene. Uso's vs the Bar at last years Survivor Series was really fucking good and aside from the New Day the face teams are sparse on Smackdown so The Bar and The Uso's should have a program.

Rusev and English deserve more than a squash match to end a feud. Why the fuck are they not Tag Champs. Why the fuck is creative taking Rusev for granted? Why do they not want to use Rusev in any capacity is beyond me.

The Miz Tv segment was oodt, Rey looks like  a million bucks and he seems rejuvenated. The Truth TV jab was really funny especially how riled up it got Miz. Their match was really good, really cool to see Rey back him vs Nakamura and now him vs Miz have been really cool. Glad to see him back.

The one thing I took from the segment were all the women beating each other up to promote the Battle Royal at Evolution was the dance break Carmella took. Dance Break could very well become a thing.

Shane owning the crowd for chanting Cm Punk with "I don't think he's in the tournament"

I find Randy Orton boring but his heel work as of late has been different enough to keep me interested and I like Hardy so i'll watch this. It was ok, nothing special. Randy pulling on those gages is a dick move if i've ever seen one.

I think Rusev is stuck in that place where they don't see him as a top guy, they know he can always get over, so there's no reason to protect or push him. You need him to main event a B show? Cool, he'll make it work with three weeks of build. It goes back to that old Bam Bam quote about how being good can be a curse or whatever.

• Like 1