DVDVR Message Board

Halloween Havoc : Season of the Witch

Execproducer

1 hour ago, Brian Fowler said:

At any rate, nobody else ever seems to like "what if Hitchcock made an early 00's indie film' as much as me

If Hitchcock had made Spiral...

Spoiler

Amber would be revealed as a reporter in town from Seattle to get the scoop on the Sketchbook Killer. Berkeley would turn out to be Mason's half-brother who had been spiking his inhaler with psychotropic drugs all these years in order to keep him under control. There would be two big set-pieces: Amber trailing Mason through Saturday Market while Mason follows a blonde that looks just like the waitress and a battle between Mason and Berkeley at the edge of Multnomah Falls.  As Berkeley slowly strangles him, Mason turns the tide by blasting him in the face with the inhaler and sends him over the falls to his death. 

....and it would be glorious.

13 hours ago, Marty Sugar said:

Because...?

I figured you as more of an outrageous horror guy and not a tension thriller kind of dude.. 

After all, you are the man that loved Death Bed:  The Bed That Eats. :)

I liked Burning Bright so much that I bought a copy on the cheap from WalMart last weekend.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Execproducer said:

And that's a wrap!  Thanks for playing, everyone. Happy Halloween!

Thanks for running it.  Great job!

Someone should run this same gimmick for non-horror movies sometime.  Just make it a complete free-for-all.  Force someone to watch a movie that you think is great and underappreciated.

• Like 2

And Execproducer destroys the sweetness of Twilight Time (in a good way) by attaching it to a horror movie review thread and giving it sinister undertones.

I cannot listen to Tiptoe Through The Tulips anymore without getting creeped out thanks to Insidious and Sleepwalkers did the same thing for Sleep Walk by Santo & Johnny.

And the entire soundtrack to Christine.

Thanks for keeping the Halloween Havoc holiday tradition alive, man..

3 hours ago, J.T. said:

I figured you as more of an outrageous horror guy and not a tension thriller kind of dude.. 

After all, you are the man that loved Death Bed:  The Bed That Eats. :)

I liked Burning Bright so much that I bought a copy on the cheap from WalMart last weekend.

I don't even remember how I found out about it, TBH. As for my horror, I walk a fine line between thrillers and total nonsense. It's all about balance. ;)

• Like 1

On 1 November 2018 at 2:05 PM, S.K.o.S. said:

Thanks for running it.  Great job!

Someone should run this same gimmick for non-horror movies sometime.  Just make it a complete free-for-all.  Force someone to watch a movie that you think is great and underappreciated.

Would 100% be down for this.

Comedy, Action, War movies, Westerns, Sci Fi. So many options and so many WCW PPV names they could be named after!

Newb always talked about doing a Christmas one. When I told him I wasn't interested in running it, he was considering doing it himself. 

So we could do a Justin Newbould Memorial Christmas Chaos or something.

• Like 4

18 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Newb always talked about doing a Christmas one. When I told him I wasn't interested in running it, he was considering doing it himself. 

So we could do a Justin Newbould Memorial Christmas Chaos or something.

I support this.

Fuck Bruce Willis.  Diehard is a Christmas movie.

• Thanks 1

The thing Is though, if the idea is to find little known good films that nobody's seen, Christmas movies is not an ideal genre. Because there's not too many good ones, and the ones that are good, everyone's seen them many times.

38 minutes ago, AxB said:

The thing Is though, if the idea is to find little known good films that nobody's seen, Christmas movies is not an ideal genre. Because there's not too many good ones, and the ones that are good, everyone's seen them many times.

Maybe not because we talk about Christmas movies every year here and I am continually surprised by the number of people who still haven't seen Scrooge with Alastair Sim.

• Like 1

Yeah, you're right. We should probably avoid all cartoons anyway. I don't want to start listing movies that I would consider related, even tangentially, to Christmas but something like Monty Python's Life of Brian,  to me at least, would qualify. There are many ways to go.