DVDVR Message Board

UFC Fight Night 138: Volkan vs. Smith (10/27/2018) - Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada (Avenir Centre)

Elsalvajeloco

DmO4mOxUYAAArSz.jpg?1536075885

UFC Fight Night 138: Volkan vs. Smith 
October 27, 2018
Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada (Avenir Centre)

Volkan Oezdemir (205.5) vs. Anthony Smith (205.5) - Smith, SUB (rear naked choke), R3 (4:26)
Michael Johnson (147)* vs. Artem Lobov (145.5) - Johnson, DEC (unanimous)
Misha Cirkunov (205) vs. Patrick Cummins (205.5) - Cirkunov, SUB (arm triangle choke), R1 (2:20)
Andre Soukhamthath (136) vs. Jonathan Martinez (135) -  Soukhamthath, DEC (unanimous)
Gian Villante (205.5) vs. Ed Herman (205.5) - Villante, DEC (split)
Alex Garcia (170.5) vs. Court McGee (170.5) - McGee, DEC (unanimous)

Fox Sports 2 Preliminary Card:
Nordine Taleb (170.5) vs. Sean Strickland (170.5) - Strickland, TKO (punches), R2 (3:10)
Thibault Gouti (155.5) vs. Nasrat Haqparast (156) - Haqparast, DEC (unanimous)
Calvin Kattar (146) vs. Chris Fishgold (146) - Kattar, TKO (punches), R1 (4:11)
Sarah Moras (135.5) vs. Talita Bernardo (133) - Bernardo, DEC (unanimous)

Fight Pass Preliminary Card:
Te'Jovan Edwards (156) vs. Don Madge (154) - Madge, KO (head kick), R2 (0:14)
Arjan Bhullar (242) vs. Marcelo Golm (255.5) - Bhullar, DEC (unanimous)
Stevie Ray (155.5) vs. Jessin Ayari (155.5) - Ray, DEC (unanimous)

*Forfeits 20% of purse for missing weight

Event Bonuses ($50,000)
Performance of the Night: Don Madge
Performance of the Night: Anthony Smith
Fight of the Night: Thibault Gouti vs. Nasrat Haqparast

Attendance: 6,282
Gate: $526,741
Rating: 531,000 viewers

Cancelled Bouts:
Gavin Tucker vs. Andre Soukhamthath - Injury to Tucker
Artem Lobov vs. Zubaira Tukhugov - Tukhugov Removed From Bout

Something I find intriguing is that Michael Johnson missed weight at the morning weigh ins and was suppose to be fined 20% of his purse. However, Artem Lobov plans to give it back to Michael Johnson for taking the fight on short notice. That's a first that I can remember. Also, I think Lobov trying to do this noble thing is an attempt to take some of the heat off the SBG camp.

I mean when it comes down to it, it was always Tukhugov who was gonna be replaced because he is the less notable name and he has spent his UFC run in total anonymity before UFC 229. Tukhugov hasn't had a fight in two and a half years come next month. Keep in mind, Lobov has outlasted a good number of his teammates who had mediocre UFC runs. He barely had a puncher's chance against Tukhugov. He got a much tougher matchup even if MJ is inconsistent and is likely headed to his third straight loss. Therefore, he is flirting with getting cut before Tukhugov who is basically just in limbo.

• Like 2

30-27 Ray is a bad scorecard. No way did he win round 1. Round 2 was a somewhat closer and I would have no problem with anyone giving it to Ayari. Ray won round 3 but Ayari came on during the last minute. It's either 29-28 Ray, a draw if you score round 2 10-10, or 29-28 Ayari. Those are the only acceptable scorecards. Ayari kinda shot himself in the foot by not being more aggressive in the final round.

If that was the fight before it, it would've been stopped the second Gouti doubled over on the body shot. Fishgold barely got a chance to move despite some whiffs on the ground and pound while Gouti seemingly took so much more. Didn't like the Taleb stoppage but understood it happening there.  Got hyped for a second thinking Sarah Moras would make a last minute comeback but it was not to be, always enjoy her fights. Surprised Martinez survived the first here.

• Like 1

RETURN OF THE MACK~!

It's happened so suddenly that I don't know when exactly Lionheart became thee fuckin MAN but wow, these last few fights of his. What a victory. I like both guys but had a hard time picking against Smith, just kept thinking of Volkan's wins and figured he'd bounce back so I picked Volkan but was kind of rooting for Smith... crazy, hell of a win. The streak continues, hope he keeps on kicking ass. 

12 minutes ago, DreamBroken said:

RETURN OF THE MACK~!

It's happened so suddenly that I don't know when exactly Lionheart became thee fuckin MAN but wow, these last few fights of his. What a victory. I like both guys but had a hard time picking against Smith, just kept thinking of Volkan's wins and figured he'd bounce back so I picked Volkan but was kind of rooting for Smith... crazy, hell of a win. The streak continues, hope he keeps on kicking ass. 

For the majority of his UFC run, Anthony Smith has been the MMA version of the trap game. He's just a naturally tough guy to fight and beat convincingly.

I think in this fight, Oezdemir showed he was comfortable fighting at Smith's pace and looked like the much bigger fighter. His cardio didn't seem like an issue. I think what changed the outcome of the fight was Oezdemir didn't pour it on in the spots he probably should have. I don't know if he was waiting for the punishment to soak in on Smith and take him out later in the fight, but that turned out to be a critical mistake. Volkan got his nose broken and blood flowing out profusely making it extremely hard to breathe. Because of resilience, Smith could take advantage of that and win despite everything else being in Oezdemir's favor.

I think this would be a good time to make Dominick Reyes vs. Anthony Smith. 

• Like 1