DVDVR Message Board

THE 2018 WORLD SERIES: LOS ANGELES @ BOSTON

Dolfan in NYC

20 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

I mean...

I know it was 1916, but no 21 year old is going to look that haggard.  

Well, everyone looked like a 45 year-old coal miner back then regardless of age; here’s the aforementioned young Casey:

D8CboE8_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

• Like 2

I feel kind of terrible because it seems like everyone is into this and their is some genuine hoss level pitching going on, but hours and hours of extra innings of nothing but pop ups and strikeouts waiting for someone to accidentally make enough contact to hit the solo home run that looks like every other solo home run that ends this is kind of....

not exciting?

56 minutes ago, piranesi said:

I feel kind of terrible because it seems like everyone is into this and their is some genuine hoss level pitching going on, but hours and hours of extra innings of nothing but pop ups and strikeouts waiting for someone to accidentally make enough contact to hit the solo home run that looks like every other solo home run that ends this is kind of....

not exciting?

On one hand, I've always preferred great pitching duels to high scoring home run fests. On the other, part of the reason for that is the games are typically significantly shorter.

• Like 1

Maybe the best way to sum up the bizarre night at Dodger Stadium: Of the 50 players on both rosters, only four didn't get into the game: Chris Sale and Drew Pomeranz for the Red Sox and Rich Hill and Hyun-Jin Ryu for the Dodgers. The 46 players used on both teams was a record for any postseason game. The Red Sox burned through a record-tying nine pitchers, including Eovaldi, the projected Game 4 starter who pitched the final six-plus innings -- leaving the Red Sox without a starter for Game 4 until Alex Cora announces one Saturday afternoon.

Dave Roberts threw Rich Hill under the bus after the game, saying Hill told him he was gassed and to watch him closely and THAT is why Roberts pulled him "early". Could be true, could be a McNamara/Clemens deal where the manager lies about a pitcher asking out to cover for a screwup.