DVDVR Message Board

Cutting A Fucking Promo 101 Revisited

Thomas Bugg

At 1:38 (an hour 38 min.) or so here Dick gives the best heel promo EVER. Bar none. Just incredible shit-talking and heat-garnering. There's another one just about as good where he has a broom and says he's gonna clean up the territory and it's probably on one of these other Classic St. Louis videos. 

(I don't know if I related this story here, but...)

In the late '80s, a young Paul Heyman was booking for Sam DeCero's Windy City Wrestling, and bringing in some classic vets and setting up some dream matches that would later be echoed in ECW (Battle of the Bam Bams, Gordy/Bigelow, for one). Dick Murdoch was there, and scheduled to go over one of the up-and-comers (young, handsome, jacked, full of DeCero's KoolAid) but also give him the rub. This kid (who was the perfect body type and look for the times) vocalized in the lockerroom upon getting the finish that "no one will believe that this fat old guy could pin me". Heyman raised an eyebrow, Murdoch shrugged and the finish was changed. In the ring, Capt. Redneck stretched this arrogant ignorant gym rat from turnbuckle to turnbuckle, using only legit wrestling and hooking moves. Eventually, mercifully, he tied the callow youth up into a pinning predicament, the ref counted one, two and hesitated, Murdoch barked "Three, jackass!" and the hand went down. The kid was made to apologize to DM and he never went anywhere in the business. "Lifegaurd" Sonny Rogers, who was there, told me that story.

- RAF

• Like 3

Suge D doing a talk them into the building level promo... for an empty arena match... that is almost certainly going to be a squash match... he's almost certainly losing.

But if I was TK, I'd sign him.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AxB said:

Suge D doing a talk them into the building level promo... for an empty arena match... that is almost certainly going to be a squash match... he's almost certainly losing.

But if I was TK, I'd sign him.

I wouldn't be surprised if Dunkerton has been signed, or will be in the near future.

This has probably ended up in here before, or if it hasn't, is debatable as to how much of a 'good' promo it is.

However, I've always seen the 'this is where the power lies' part of the promo quoted, whilst the rest of it is batshit insane in the greatest way. From the back and forth as to whether Hercules was a God, to hanging out in the Garden of Eden with 'my main squeeze eve', to the forty nights and days he 'hung and bung' on the Titanic, it is absolutely mental.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

A request guys:

There was a video posted here maybe 5, 6 years ago of raw footage of Dusty Rhodes in a locker room cutting 4 or 5 local promos in a row. I wanted to show it to a friend as one of the coolest wrestling things I’ve ever seen, but am coming up with nothing on YouTube. Does anyone remember this? And if so, have a link?

This belongs in the locked Bret Hart thread but it goes here today. If you remember we talked about just how technically sound he was, technically sound being an overused, sometimes copout (like whenever they didn’t have a gimmick for somebody...call him a great technical wrestler!) phrase. He really was it, so much it that technical wrestling ability didn’t make him great, he made it great. He became champion and he became both the most loved and most hated wrestler doing it. 

So about the promo. Obviously Bret’s mic work always ends up being debated when compared to his flawless qualities. I recently realized something - Bret was as technically sound on the mic as he was on the mat.

What?

It’s true. He was the fluent, thorough, promo. The catch is that that’s not necessarily a great promo like the most technically sound mat wrestler is a great wrestler. Meanwhile great promos are often giant shits dropped on the English language. BPP, Iron Sheik, Randy Savage etc. 

• Like 4

On 5/2/2020 at 11:27 PM, Curt McGirt said:

Aw man this is fuckin' fantastic. Lance's exasperation boils over once again. 

This is so good. I was expecting him to pull out a shovel or something. 

NOPE

He really comes off as batshit crazy here.

• Like 1