DVDVR Message Board

Cutting A Fucking Promo 101 Revisited

Thomas Bugg

Mark Lewin had to have one of the strangest careers of any wrestler. A bodybuilder, born in Buffalo, gets over as a babyface in Australia and New Zealand, then gets over as a psychedelic Satanist blood freak in Florida. 

That promo was practically interpretive dance haha...

• Like 1

Killer Karl Kox turns babyface in Australia for his dying momma.

Big Bad John and Bulldog Brower declare angry, shouty revenge on Kox.

KING CURTIS IAUKEA DOUBTS THE SINCERITY OF MISTER KOX.

These are great.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, AxB said:

So, how do you put together a promo video for a big match when one half of the match has done absolutely nothing to help promote it? If you're OTT, you do this:

So I take it he won't be working AEW anytime soon then. He seemed pretty ambivalent about them last year. Fair enough.

Edited by Oyaji
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Oyaji said:

So I take it he won't be working AEW anytime soon then. He seemed pretty ambivalent about them last year. Fair enough.

Awesome promo and a very cool version of "Heart-Shaped Box" as the background music. I am disappointed we won't be seeing Starr in AEW.

His OTT character is very much a a work (that incorporates aspects of his real personality). When wrestlers he respects, like Mercedes Martinez and Tim Thatcher, sign for WWE the man himself congratulates them and says they deserve it. The character would call them a sellout who couldn't get it done on the indie circuit any more.

• Like 1

Yeah, I get that. I should've jokingly put an asterisk at the end of my post with the "OR IS IT A WERK?!" 

Either way he is maybe one of a handful of people on the indies I'd like to see AEW go after and he's head and shoulders above the others. He's got it all and there are only a few in the promotion that I would consider better than him. 

I was going to bring him up in the AEW thread. He’s like you said, better than a lot of the “new” guys they’ve got, and can transition to TV fast like some of the ones I mentioned in the prior thread. But he’s a tough get, and his politics appear to be very strong.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

On 3/10/2020 at 5:28 PM, Curt McGirt said:

Mark Lewin had to have one of the strangest careers of any wrestler. A bodybuilder, born in Buffalo, gets over as a babyface in Australia and New Zealand, then gets over as a psychedelic Satanist blood freak in Florida. 

That promo was practically interpretive dance haha...

He was over as a babyface in Florida for years before he did the Purple Haze gimmick.

9 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I was going to bring him up in the AEW thread. He’s like you said, better than a lot of the “new” guys they’ve got, and can transition to TV fast like some of the ones I mentioned in the prior thread. But he’s a tough get, and his politics appear to be very strong.

He can still work indies and do a sellout gimmick! ?

On 3/11/2020 at 7:07 PM, LP Steve said:

He was over as a babyface in Florida for years before he did the Purple Haze gimmick.

Mark Lewin and Johnny Valentine are the first guys that I think of when someone says "Wrestling god!"

That Lewin was (according to Kevin Sullivan who was in a position to know), ripped on acid 90% of the time he was doing the "Purple Haze" gimmick, just makes me like him all the more. Can you imagine working a match high on acid? I really can't and I'm in a pretty good position to know...

Edited by OSJ
  • Like 2

More Captain after the "match", which involves a certain prop mishap. Also Jimmy not even stopping for breath once. "Ted Turner can afford better!"

Okay, he does stop once, to keep from laughing directly into the mic. Another classic line here: "I wanted to see if he'll hit a woman; his wife says he will!"

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

More Captain after the "match", which involves a certain prop mishap. Also Jimmy not even stopping for breath once. "Ted Turner can afford better!"

Okay, he does stop once, to keep from laughing directly into the mic. Another classic line here: "I wanted to see if he'll hit a woman; his wife says he will!"

That actually might belong on a GOAT squash match list. They never broke sequence. They were wrestling from start to finish. They didn’t stall, stop to taunt, etc and they fluently mat wrestled, then brawled then ended with the big move. 

And Jim Cornette how dang great is he I could watch him for forever. He sells legit rage, jokes, and pouting 1 after the other in random order. 

I laughed at Murdoch threatening to whop Misty because I used to watch around this time and wonder why somebody didn’t just whop Missy, Woman, etc after all the times they cheated. The first time I ever heard a face make the threat was, of all people, The Patriot in WCW I think. I can’t remember who he was threatening but I clearly remember him saying it because I’d never heard it before.

Edited by BloodyChamp
  • Like 1