DVDVR Message Board

Cutting A Fucking Promo 101 Revisited

Thomas Bugg

• 2 weeks later...

I don't watch wrestling to see wrestlers that look like me - I want larger than life people that I would want to befriend or learn from, or to merely  stand in wonderment that we all walk the same planet together. If I am paying, I want to witness some folks that make me speculate things like - "has Abdullah the Butcher ever walked to the bodega to get some milk?" "what happens when Terry Funk gets a jury duty notice?" "what would a seder at Fred Blassie's home be like?" "does L. A. Park like roller coasters?". The lines between work and shoot should blur, whether it is because I want them to or because those lines weren't lines but waves or particles or psychedelic pandemonium.

Anyway, the Gangstas were always an successful anomaly. Great gimmick, intensity, interviews - for me, everything but the ring stuff. New Jack certainly found a niche and could work his work, but Mustapha was my fave because of, not despite, his very limited skill set. In thee Rev's book, he was second to none for being the background man in promos: better than the savage Wild Samoans, better than flexing Road Warrior Animal, better than the arcane martial arts of the Great Kabuki, yea even better than Lysol & raw chicken Abby. These are the aspects I notice and note. It is always worthwhile to be great at a small thing if you can't be better than everyone else at most things.

Dig it - Mustapha's Greek chorus, intimidating facials and running support are brilliant here, but his onomatopoeia-as-coda makes this a fave rave for me:

he's gotta be high, right?,

RAF

p.s. - NJ's rant is top notch and this era of ECW is transcendent and still holds up today.

Edited by thee Reverend Axl Future
more big wordz
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Thankfully for him, he'll almost assuredly be signed up by one of the bigger companies who can sponsor his work visa or whatever they need to do. I only watch DDT 5-10 times a year, so I haven't seen a lot of him since his ban but he looks to have improved working there. He hasn't been back to DDT since August of last year tho according to Cagematch... 

This is a skit but I wanted to post it somewhere. This is the 2nd time I’ve found Terry Funk hitting below the belt on a smart level on old WCW TV. The other time was when he said the Road Warriors couldn’t actually wrestle, meaning work. Anyway the TV Title is obviously something I have good memories of but you couldn’t have came up with a more generic, $10/hr fabricated thing. They named it after the “TV” so it could stay on “TV.” It was wrestling’s TV movie to Gone With the Wind. And Funk just says it here lol!

• Like 1