DVDVR Message Board

Cutting A Fucking Promo 101 Revisited

Thomas Bugg

On 9/16/2019 at 7:43 PM, Curt McGirt said:

Why yes, he is wielding a socket wrench there

Chili sauce! Also, watch him start bleeding for no reason

somehow I get the feeling that Dawn Marie's fascinated horror in this segment might not be entirely a work.

Edited by BobbyWhioux
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Dream rattles off a hell of a good one here. Featuring such lines as: 

"I'll tell you why Lance Russell is not here, he was out drinking, he was down there a-hoopin' and a-hollerin' with the rest a them idiots"

"Dutch Mantell, I want yo meat, baby" (?!)

"I'm gonna be in yo pancakes"

And the chicken suit guy inexplicably screaming over and over when Dream grabs him

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Dream rattles off a hell of a good one here. Featuring such lines as: 

"I'll tell you why Lance Russell isn't at work today, he was out drinking, a-hoopin' and a-hollerin'"

"Dutch Mantell, I want yo meat, baby" (?!)

"I'm gonna be in yo pancakes"

And the chicken suit guy inexplicably screaming over and over when Dream grabs him

I wonder if he ran way long? It seemed like Jimmy and Dave were legit trying to get him to stop at various points throughout his promo. 

That said, it was pretty great. 

On 9/27/2019 at 11:44 AM, Curt McGirt said:

I'm sure this has been posted here before but this is some beautiful video quality. "The guy just loses touch with reality, that's all there is to it."

The amazing thing is that he did that once already in Knoxville years before this time.

• Like 1

I can see why Riho was inaugural AEW Women's Champion, but I'm thinking Hikaru might be a bit more marketable to a mainstream US audience.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Whoooaaaaa, this is great. I need to watch more pre-Hulk WWF.

It's disgraceful how much promos have completely just devolved over time to where we are now. I don't just mean WWE either, across the board no one has this type of conviction or intensity

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

22 minutes ago, BurningBeard said:

It's disgraceful how much promos have completely just devolved over time to where we are now. I don't just mean WWE either, across the board no one has this type of conviction or intensity

I think the most impressive part is that he’s supposed to be a heel in that promo.

• Like 1

On 10/18/2019 at 3:46 PM, Rehabilitated Rick said:

Same old from Starr to be honest. Only so many times you hear the same DSA talking points before they become gimmicky and empty, especially coming from a middle class schmuck like him. 

Well, if you didn't like that, you're really going to hate this:

• Thanks 1

On 10/18/2019 at 7:33 AM, AxB said:

David Starr cutting a promo on Jordan Devlin for OTT. Yes, it's awesome.

@BurningBeard I wouldn't be so quick to write off all of the current guys' promo abilities. It's true that as a whole it's not even close because for the indies since the rise of ROH the emphasis has been on in-ring and for those working within WWE, it's all scripted, sanitized, and over-coached. But, there's a pretty clear delineation between those who believe in themselves and what they are saying and those that are pretending. David Starr is 100% the former. Guys like Eddie Kingston, Samoa Joe, Juice Robinson, Kevin Owens (at least back in the day, I don't know what goofy shit he's up to now), Sami Zayn (Mark Henry said he's the best going today), Moxley, and Bryan can all give promos where it's clear they have conviction. Starr, for me anyway, is one of the best promo guys of this century. The WWE people often have to turn it up past 11 but they are more than capable of delivering great stuff on the mic. There are others who are clearly talented speakers and/or charismatic but aren't super believable, like The Miz, Jericho (though his current gimmick is basically just him turned up), and Wyatt (because of how outlandish and previously incomprehensible the shit he spews is/was). It's not a lost art so much as its been de-emphasized and perverted, but it can make a comeback. NXT, I believe, doesn't script word for word (please correct me if I'm wrong) and AEW is bullet points as far as I know, so there is some big platforms for wrestlers to deliver at least partially their own stuff and fail and learn. 

edit: Fuck, I forgot Juice. How can I forget JUICE?!

Edited by Oyaji

For sure @Oyaji, I wasn't necessarily saying 'all promos are crap now' more that the lack of trust to just let people go out there and sell a match or feud on their own terms and with their own words has died a death. As a result the people reciting the words can't make you believe because they barely believe themselves