DVDVR Message Board

Cutting A Fucking Promo 101 Revisited

Thomas Bugg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Ernie turning to the crowd and saying "shut up, meatwad" right before 9:30 is awesome. He's just rattling away and you can't really catch anything then he turns and that rings out clear as a bell. 

EDIT: The 15:00 minute mark one is too fucking much. He calls Gordon prejudiced to start. The best part is him FLEXING LIKE A MUG. You think Ernie's just huge and lanky but there's some beef under there. 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I really really dig "Satanic" KS and his Army of Darkness. The promos and the whole years-long angle are so genius. To this day, if someone next to me is blathering on, I may start doing thee Haze/Singh/Molokai/Graham/etc hand gestures. I don't suppose it would get over at a funeral (possibly a wedding), but I can state for a fact that it is very fun and effective during a bouncer vs. drunken lout testosterone chest bumping stand-off. I was wont to do it during several club security stints, and it unnerved many a former patron before they were ejected from the premises. One post-brawl oaf asked if I "was a devil".

"Call me Abudadein" was/is thee True Answer. Good in case he called the cops, too. 

On 9/28/2022 at 3:48 AM, John from Cincinnati said:

Arn and Terry were 2 of the best, but my favorite thing about that promo (and a ton of Indy stuff from around that time) was how fresh they looked by doing nothing different than wearing hats and standing against a different back drop than usual. The USWA promo I posted way back in this thread is another example of some guys looking brand new there, after so many years in WCW. 

On 11/11/2022 at 12:24 AM, thee Reverend Axl Future said:

I really really dig "Satanic" KS and his Army of Darkness. The promos and the whole years-long angle are so genius. To this day, if someone next to me is blathering on, I may start doing thee Haze/Singh/Molokai/Graham/etc hand gestures. I don't suppose it would get over at a funeral (possibly a wedding), but I can state for a fact that it is very fun and effective during a bouncer vs. drunken lout testosterone chest bumping stand-off. I was wont to do it during several club security stints, and it unnerved many a former patron before they were ejected from the premises. One post-brawl oaf asked if I "was a devil".

"Call me Abudadein" was/is thee True Answer. Good in case he called the cops, too. 

This is my holy grail of a dvd documentary set with interviews and matches. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This one gave me more to think about in hindsight that you might guess. This was literal Bobby Heenan and Jim Cornette talking tag team wrestling. Jim Cornette was the bad guy and the Steiner Brothers were the good guys. That was Jim’s reason for wanting the match and that was Bobby’s reason for getting excited about it. What a concept. This was the most NWA/old WCW thing the WWF ever did with 1 difference. They didn’t botch the finish. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I know scripted skits aren’t how to cut a promo, or at least not this crowd’s tastes in promos but when done right they’re hits IMO. This was done right. You can miss the 100 historical references in this whole thing yet still be sold on the whole thing. It was as sleazy and dirty and as accurate of dudes with hoes as the real thing.

• Like 1

Watching Ivan Putski cut a promo for Southwest in 1983 is a real mind-screw if you only ever heard him in WWF. No Polish accent at all, 100% hardscrabble Texan, and it rules the damn school. Wrestling is weird and wonderful.

No video for it since I saw it on Airy, a Pluto-style free app with a bunch of old wrestling. Worth a download.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

1:27 😂😂😂

I’ve been looking for that for a long time. That was a hilarious addition to a great oldschool promo. The bad guys teaming up to try and beat the good guys and the random bad guy announcer stepping in to keep them focused. It’s no wonder so many of them used to be managers. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

He is tripping balls with intensity in this here.  Angry isn’t a strong enough word to describe Savage in this promo.  It’s also in addition to being angry, disgusted, betrayed, and yes, at that very end… wounded.

Savage the character bought into the MegaPowers and the Hogan thing.  All in.  Forget all his misgivings prior that. “Hulk Who?” and what have you.  Savage exercised his champions prerogative and CHANGED HIS MIND!  

Now here he is.  Absolutely feral and sweating at an alarming rate. 

To be fair.  In the moment back in 89.  These promos went on and on for weeks and were quite the slog in the never ending build up to Big 5.  

But man what a performance here.  I honestly might have put Savage over just on the strength of the content.  Somebody had to at least have thought of it.

And once again for the people in the back. 

His hand WAS on Elizabeth’s ass.  

• Like 3