DVDVR Message Board

Cutting A Fucking Promo 101 Revisited

Thomas Bugg

It popped into my head just as I got the notification you posted that haha

EDIT: Whoa, so I Wiki'd him and this is on there

During the 1970s, he took professional wrestling to Iraq under the direction of Saddam Hussein. In one such match, he defeated André the Giant in Baghdad and he defeated the Scottish Ian Campbell and the Canadian champion George Gordienko in Baghdad. In 1978, he wrestled in Hawaii and was the master of the "Indian Death Match" until his arch-rival, Tor Kamata, defeated him. Not long after, he returned briefly to Iraq with the intent of introducing pro wrestling. By this time, his old classmate Saddam was ruler of the country. By his own account, it was a difficult time, for although Kaissey was very popular and had some success introducing professional wrestling to Iraq, Saddam was already becoming paranoid about potential rivals, and he saw Kaissey in this light. Kaissey fled back to the US and never returned, though he kept contact with his family in Baghdad.

As if the Saddam connection wasn't weird enough. I suppose Andre let him just go over so he could get back on the plane and to a country that wasn't dry. 

Edited by Curt McGirt

That's the product of thee good Cosmic Cookies, brother. I am a huge-ass mark for CWF Kevin Sullivan. He did a similar promo at the last Battleground card (shockingly good) here in Philly, and it made RAF giddy with delight, chasing away some of the blackened shroud that has been 2019/20/21/22, believe you me. Magick!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, BloodyChamp said:

Was there ever a proper resolution to the amazing Dusty vs Kevin feud?

I would say it was the Midnight Rider vs. Lucifer mask vs. mask “loser must leave for a year” cage match in late 1983, but Sullivan was back within 90 days and they wrestled a bunch more until Dusty left for Crockett.

• Like 1

So Dusty wins the NWA title from Race in 7, Race regains it a few days later but there was chicanery as Terry Funk attacked Dusty before th title match injuring his arm. Race offered to delay the match a few days but Dusty defended and lost. So Dusty starts wearing a cast wit ha steel plate because "Doctor's orders!" and starts a vendetta against the Funks. Dusty blatantly cheats against the Funks, crowds go apeshit and Terry just cuts promo after promo about how Dusty can't wrestle and how both he and Dory were legit champs, how they held  the belt for "more than a few days". So basically the fall and winter of 79/80 is just Dusty going to war with different partenrs to take out the Funk brothers. For the record Terry and Dory have their most badass look during his period Thy look like the guys who get killed by Josey Wales at the Fur Traders/Swap Shop.

You're gonna have to click the links to see Terry cut his stuff since youube won't allow these to be embedded but it is worth it.

I'm still trying to figure when the Rhodes/Funk feud really starteed and why...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imQVe7npxIo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTEdzlqsHQs

James

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 2/4/2022 at 10:22 PM, J.H. said:

So Dusty wins the NWA title from Race in 7, Race regains it a few days later but there was chicanery as Terry Funk attacked Dusty before th title match injuring his arm. Race offered to delay the match a few days but Dusty defended and lost. So Dusty starts wearing a cast wit ha steel plate because "Doctor's orders!" and starts a vendetta against the Funks. Dusty blatantly cheats against the Funks, crowds go apeshit and Terry just cuts promo after promo about how Dusty can't wrestle and how both he and Dory were legit champs, how they held  the belt for "more than a few days". So basically the fall and winter of 79/80 is just Dusty going to war with different partenrs to take out the Funk brothers. For the record Terry and Dory have their most badass look during his period Thy look like the guys who get killed by Josey Wales at the Fur Traders/Swap Shop.

You're gonna have to click the links to see Terry cut his stuff since youube won't allow these to be embedded but it is worth it.

I'm still trying to figure when the Rhodes/Funk feud really starteed and why...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imQVe7npxIo

??? at Terry’s smark tone about Dusty’s WRESTLING when he enunciated the word WRESTLING 7 times. He did that with the Road Warriors one time. Then he enunciates VIOLENT VILE AND STUPID! Then I don’t think Humperdink meant to fall down after that smack. He took a Foley bump on that one. Then Dusty puts his hands on Gordon which I’ve never seen anybody do, and Gordon still takes up for him lol!

On 2/4/2022 at 10:22 PM, J.H. said:

Terry Funk’s dialogue was very generic, but he made it sound cutting edge somehow. He could read a script written by Jack Webb and make it sound like it was rated R in the 90s. 

Edited by BloodyChamp
  • Like 1

My memory (which could be wrong) is that the Funk-Rhodes feud started right after Dusty turned babyface. He went to war with his former boss, Gary Hart, who threw everything he had against Dusty. This included bringing in Terry Funk as a mercenary to do away with Rhodes. They had a series of matches that culminated with one very similar to the later and more famous Funk-Lawler empty arena match: Terry went after Dusty's eye with a broken chair leg and ended up getting his own eye damaged. From there, it was off to the races.

• Like 1

I would go as far as to say that Bobby was a better manager than he was an announcer, and he of course might have done the best night of color announcing ever done at the Royal Rumble. 

He was strictly by the book as a manager, yet his book never got boring in the middle like other books. He was always always always talking about the match. Then he would relate it to the card, then to the promotion, then to the broader picture that the promo was in such as the promoters and more including his favorite the MONEY. 

• Like 2

28 year old Vince McMahon interviewing Professor Toru Tanaka Pedro Morales and Stan Stasiak in 1973. Not especially great promos but I think this is the earliest footage I've seen of Vince Jr. on camera, certainly the earliest in excellent VQ.

Edited by Happ Hazzard
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

When RAF is feeling blue, he knows where to go. This made my day:

Very aptly titled. Thee MM is criminally underrated & overlooked, in my uncontroversial opinion. Here is another because I love all of you (thanks to the genius of thee Magnificent One):

Damn, son - I remember watching this last one in the realtime (or another similar one from the same taping) and being blown away. TSantana vs. Muraco as well as Santana vs. Greg Valentine over the intercontinental belt are two fond feud memories for me. Does anyone have a lead on that squash that Muraco did whilst wearing sunglasses with Gorilla M being very upset about the lack of safety and surfeit of arrogance on the part of MM? Similar timeframe to thee Meatball Hero Match, if I remember correctly (which I often do not). Fuck a team of writers, I want undiluted WorkerBrainWords.

• Like 1

Another cosmically shite day today but it's always this, kiddies: you can laugh or cry, so boot up some rasslin' promos and laugh and learn and live again ---

Best Angle Ever? It is surely in the running in the RAF domain. How about some more old time religion in your grappling:

Based on true events, no less. Capt. Lou is like a religion to me, so here thee Man is, laying it down:

And another thing that makes RAF happy in this fractious age, when the bitch Lady Luck turns her face, is when all the heels are pals and hang out and support each other. I love that. Take it away, Messrs. Hart & Piper:

I feel better now.

• Like 2