DVDVR Message Board

Cutting A Fucking Promo 101 Revisited

Thomas Bugg

I can’t believe I never saw this. Was this match any good? 

I never thought I would see Mark Curtis looking like a badass, Robert Gibson looking like he was Freebird cool instead of Rock n Roll cool, and Pat Tanaka looking like he was badass and cool. Even Buddy Landell looks cool back there hanging out with his hair slicked back instead of all poofy and silly mini Ric Flair style.

Then Tracy lol I’ve seen that before. Stealing the show like always.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Listen to Vince transform into a demon when he calls Trips a son of a bitch for laying hands on Linda. This guy is in the god tier of entertainers in promos/angles along with Rocky and Flair imo.

• Like 1

5:42

This promo was on YouTube by itself for a long time with a million likes and comments but it disappeared. It’s hardly “how to cut a promo” by the book and it really has more in common with the first Iron Sheik freak out than an actual promo, but it does have the basic elements of a good promo. Mix everything else here together and it’s great. 

• Like 1

On 8/19/2021 at 9:13 PM, J.T. said:

This is a good one from many different angles. The inside references, the basic plugs, the intensity yet the same Jake the Snake type quality that keeps it from being just another screaming promo...but I think my favorite part was how he ripped 1 guy for being old and wrinkled, then just so naturally and swiftly ripped the next guy for being to young and pretty. Terry was a FUNK and the FUNKS are are the perfect age lol! 

• Like 1

On 8/19/2021 at 3:29 PM, Jiji said:

Listen to Vince transform into a demon when he calls Trips a son of a bitch for laying hands on Linda. This guy is in the god tier of entertainers in promos/angles along with Rocky and Flair imo.

Agreed like it or not, but Lawler during a promo is annoying. He’s like an idiot who makes you sit down and watch a movie that he’s already seen and he doesn’t let you just watch it because he’s telling you what just happened or what’s about to happen.