DVDVR Message Board

NXT TAKEOVER: WARGAMES II - 11/17/2018

Dolfan in NYC

2 minutes ago, Edwin said:

Yeah, that's a stretch. Let's not act like Dream is just a throwback tribute and nothing else.

Literally all of his offense, besides the rolling DVD and his stupidly contrived DDT, is just blatantly aping legends.  I don't know what else you would call it.  He has a lot of else, but he hasn't been using much of it since he turned face.

The worst thing that could happen to him is to get called up to the main roster soon, doing this babyface act.  He will die a quick death.

• Like 1

Good thing it's not all about offensive movez, no?

Dream's charisma and personality are what differentiate him from a lot of the other guys on the NXT roster who can pull out all of the kewl moves.

4 minutes ago, EVA said:

True.  You can have a good job for a Iong time being a lower card sketch comedy player on Raw without movez.

Comedy player?

Again, the dude ooze's charisma, has a ton of personality, knows how to a work a crowd, can cut a great promo and can put on a good to great match as a proven tonight.

Just now, Edwin said:

Care to explain how he's a comedy player?

Again, the dude ooze's charisma, has a ton of personality, knows how to a work a crowd, can cut a great promo and can put on a good to great match as a proven tonight.

I didn't say he's a comedy player.

Just got done with the Dean Ambrose chronicle thing which was really good and a nice come down from the FUCKING BLAST OF ADRENALINE release that was War Games. 

I love Velveteen. His in-ring ability is really in it's infancy if you compare it to 10 year veterans like Ciampa or Gargano. Velveteen is young, has charisma out of the ass and I can't believe people are using his cosplays as a way to smear his perceived shortcomings. Channeling inspiration from legendary figures woven into the fabric of his attires is part of the gimmick. Shit he even produced a near-perfect Hogan leg drop with the same TORQUE Hogan did in his prime. It's testament to Velveteen that he comes across as a star rather than trying to replicate a star, even when he's copying moves from the people he's imitating. He isn't Charlie Haas, he's Velveteen. He's snatching wigs and making them his own. I hope Hulk Hogan was watching and felt fucking guilty for being a racist piece of shit. 

Black/Gargano was fucking nuts, if only feeling very BOLA-ish in that it was a sprint, mixed with a bunch of WWE over theatrics that can become corny especially when it's every show. I love how Black utilizes his knee strikes, just so unique. You know you have stumbled on a great thing when knee strikes stand out in a business where everything is borrowed.

War Games. Shit. I don't even know what to say at this point. I know Dunne was injured so working around the injury may have been motivation for the door being padlocked twice over. I called the double moonsault, btw. I hope Ricochet never does that shit again, nearly landed on his head. The War Raiders dudes fucked owned the cage. If anything it reminded me of a WWE game in that it what was pure chaos and mayhem but lacking any real structure. I liked it, but I guess it will be polarizing for some.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, EVA said:

Literally all of his offense, besides the rolling DVD and his stupidly contrived DDT, is just blatantly aping legends.  I don't know what else you would call it.  He has a lot of else, but he hasn't been using much of it since he turned face.

The worst thing that could happen to him is to get called up to the main roster soon, doing this babyface act.  He will die a quick death.

It's funny when people say he isn't doing a tribute act when he's LITERALLY EUGENE but with a better character.

• Like 1

re: Velveteen/Ciampa. They fucking HAD me, dead to rights in thinking Velveteen was going over. The DVD on the floor, followed by the top rope elbow drop had me completely lost in suspense. It was like ''they're not going to... holy shit.. they're really doing this..'' and Ciampa fucking kicks out. It's moments like that that keep me watching. Getting lost in the trance of pro-wrestling is so rare nowadays. It reminded me of Taker's streak nearly ending following Taker eating both HHH and HBK's finishers that one year. Good stuff. 

• Like 8

Questions coming out of this -

Does Black go after Ciampa for TakeOver: Rumble or is it just time to call him up? If not Black then who is next? Sullivan? Tweener Adam Cole? Where does Gargano go from here?

I think they can build Dream back up to take the title at TakeOver: Mania but he might just get called up as well.

Looking like we get to build to Dunne v Ricochet to settle the "Champ v Champ" debate as well.

10 minutes ago, Craig H said:

It's funny when people say he isn't doing a tribute act when he's LITERALLY EUGENE but with a better character.

No one said it wasn't a tribute act, but acting as if he's solely that is a stretch.

And talking about a stretch... Eugene?

Yeah, no point on continuing that debate if that's what you identify the Dream with when you see him.

1 hour ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I don't give a shit that UE had long histories in ROH.  I couldn't give a rat's ass about any of that in 2018.  They all have very punchable faces and they are being dirty, cheating heels,  so fucking boo them.  

The Horsemen had punchable faces and were dirty, cheating heels. They got cheered. The nWo had punchable faces and were dirty, cheating heels. They got cheered. DX had punchable faces and were dirty, cheating heels. They got cheered. I remember the crowd going wild when Jim Cornette turned on the Dynamic Dudes. The crowd at WMIV was largely pro- Demolition over Strike Force. Jake's program with Hogan got scrapped because he got a face reaction after DDT'ing Hogan. This isn't a blame indy wrestling issue.

Ricochet is a pretty-squeaky clean babyface, but I seem to remember the War Raiders attacking Strong & O'Reilly after they had already beaten Burch & Lorcan. Pete Dunne is definitely more heelish than hero. The UE were fighting fire with fire. Just wait for the reaction when Adam Cole wins the nxt championship. I'm saying it happens WM weekend.

• Like 1

Dream's story is he's a talented young man consumed with being in the spotlight. He loves wrestling, so he uses moves from those who he grew up idolizing because 1) they're effective and 2) they get him the attention he craves.

But as he gets further into his career, the more he connects to his own ability. It's a coming of age story. Prince Hal into Henry V. He's still colorful and wild, but he's melding into the wrestler and man he'll will eventually become.

It's becoming less about being the Experience and more about proving how good he really is. If given time, that's his chronicle.

Eugene isn't a pimple on Dream's backside in terms of character arc.

• Like 13

All y'all can relax. When I say he's Eugene, I mean nearly everything he does is inspired by or from some other legend's moveset. Dream is good. It's just the notion that what he's doing isn't a tribute act is odd.

I was there in the crowd and totally bit on a Dream win after that DVD on the floor and the Purple Rainmaker. Then Ciampa breaks all our hearts and retains. And as I’m sitting trying to take in everything I just saw...

...the guy sitting next to me calls Ciampa an alt-right white nationalist Trump supporter and reminds me why wrestling fans are the absolute worst people in the world.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

48 minutes ago, Rick said:

re: Velveteen/Ciampa. They fucking HAD me, dead to rights in thinking Velveteen was going over. The DDT to the floor, followed by the top rope elbow drop had me completely lost in suspense. It was like ''they're not going to... holy shit.. they're really doing this..'' and Ciampa fucking kicks out. It's moments like that that keep me watching. Getting lost in the trance of pro-wrestling is so rare nowadays. It reminded me of Taker's streak nearly ending following Taker eating both HHH and HBK's finishers that one year. Good stuff. 

5 minutes ago, Overly Critical Man said:

I was there in the crowd and totally bit on a Dream win after that DVD on the floor and the Purple Rainmaker. Then Ciampa breaks all our hearts and retains. And as I’m sitting trying to take in everything I just saw...

...the guy sitting next to me calls Ciampa an alt-right white nationalist Trump supporter and reminds me why wrestling fans are the absolute worst people in the world.

I also bought Velveteen Dream's rolling DVD to the floor followed up by the Purple Rainmaker (man, the name and move rock) as the end of Tommaso Ciampa's NXT Championship reign.

• Like 3

Finished the show half an hour ago.

Riddle/Ohno happening and being so short amused me.

Kairi/Shayna was possibly their shortest match and easily their worst match. Saying that, I still thought it was fun, just cut incredibly short so they could run an angle. I kind of wish they didn't waste the 2/3 falls stip though I loved that Shayna cheated her first fall and won her second the same way she bitched about Kairi winning the belt off of her. Glad to see Io debut. I figured this might happen since its clear we are getting a run for the Horsewomen in NXT so Duke and Shaffir are ready for next's year big feud on the main roster. I assume they build to Io taking the belt off of Shayna Wm weekend.

Black/Gargano was great and possibly the most I have enjoyed either guy this year which is saying something since both have had some great matches. It was amazing seeing the fast paced action blending so well with WWE style story telling. i think this might be Gargano's best performance in WWE/NXT. I was kind of sad he lost.

Dream/Ciampa was damn near fantastic. You can see how much of a star Dream is already. I totally bought he was goign to win at least once or twice. Will say that they did just a bit of overkill with what they survived but I can't complain too much.

War Games was interesting. On the one hand I think the overall performances coming from all involved were better than last year's match. On the other hand I think Dain & AoP were just that damn good last year along with poor Wolf'e dying for our sins. I also think this match dragged too much. I liked some of theatrics including the final pinfall, but the second half really did not need to be anywhere near that long. Dunne being locked in also wasn't handled super well. Is it wrong that I was hoping the refs would magically find Mark Henry and have him rip the the lock or door off? Overall i still liked the match. I just think last year's was better.

Good show all in all even with a few disappointments. Not sure which I would choose between Black/Gargano & Dream/Ciampa as MOTN.

49 minutes ago, L_W_P said:

Questions coming out of this -

Does Black go after Ciampa for TakeOver: Rumble or is it just time to call him up? If not Black then who is next? Sullivan? Tweener Adam Cole? Where does Gargano go from here?

I think they can build Dream back up to take the title at TakeOver: Mania but he might just get called up as well.

Black definitely goes after Ciampa. Its just a case of is he doing it on his own or do we get a multi0man match involving Lars and others. I don't see Cole getting involved. If there was a decent spot for him I would honestly say Gargano should just be moved up to the main roster. Now I have no idea.

I would love to see Dream get the belt on Mania weekend, but yeah they are totally bringing him up.

8 minutes ago, Overly Critical Man said:

There's nothing better than someone bringing up politics when you're trying to have fun at a wrestling show, or any kind of event. SMH

I totally bit on the Dream/Ciampa finish to where I was left slack jawed. I thought Dream had it.

I really loved Black vs Gargano, but I think WarGames was my favorite. I'm a sucker for a giant brawl with crazy shit, but too crazy to where someone is going to die or Joey Janela themselves. This WarGames felt very much like a sequel though where they included a lot of shit from last year, but I thought they still did enough new shit to make it awesome.