DVDVR Message Board

NXT TAKEOVER: WARGAMES II - 11/17/2018

Dolfan in NYC

1 minute ago, The Natural said:

Really enjoyed Bret Hart's ringpost Figure Four Leglock brought back by the Velveteen Dream.

Yeah, that was a cool throwback, but the execution was pretty poor.

Basically, the 5 second match was effective for what it was, the womens match was a pretty massive letdown, Gargano/Black was on that line of "Great to To too overdramatic", Dream/Ciamp was really good, and War Games was a fun if way too long match that then became a West Side Story skit at the end that completely took me out of it.

I enjoyed this WarGames much more than last year's. I don't mind the plunder being brought into it. It's WarGames. You can do whatever you need to, so why wouldn't you?

The only letdown to me was Shayna/Kairi, which was more about advancing the angle. However, I like the inclusion of Dakota Kai and Io Shirai to even the sides.

Now back to the Tag League.

• Like 1

Just now, The Natural said:

How was Wargames last year? I'm blanking on it as it's coming up to 3am in the morning UK time.

I thought it was much better than this, but not an all-time classic although it's not fresh in my mind and iirc Killian Dain looked better than anyone in this match.

The locking of the cage was good in theory... except since they kept talking about how the match didn’t officially start till everyone was in, basically it just meant the heels ensured the match would last forever 

And not to mention how stupid the refs looked

6 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

It's things like this that continue to have me thinking Hunter gets it.   

He does, but a proper 5 match show would have most likely been better as it would have taken some of the excessive minutes of the main event.

I liked war games from last year more. The whole Pete Dunne locked in part was dumb. Match can't end until he enters the ring so why even try that? If he's not kicking the door out then why that awkward moment with the refs realizing their key didn't work, we need bolt cutters?

Liked Gargano/Black and Ciampa/Dream. Curious if Black gets his rematch with Ciampa or if we get that triple threat match from before.

Riddle/Ohno served its purpose.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Edwin said:

He does, but a proper 5 match show would have most likely been better as it would have taken some of the excessive minutes of the main event.

I think part of the issue with this War Games match was the crowd.  They weren't into it at the start likely because Dream/Ciampa was way better than anyone expected and the other issue is the crowd insisting on cheering for Undisputed Era no matter what heel tactics they employ. 

I don't give a shit that UE had long histories in ROH.  I couldn't give a rat's ass about any of that in 2018.  They all have very punchable faces and they are being dirty, cheating heels,  so fucking boo them.  

• Like 2

Yeah, the Dunne being locked in was completely stupid. Went nowhere.

Velveteen Dream has charisma but not much else. He sells like he's having an asthma attack and that figure four on the outside was a great idea but it was executed like The Rock doing a sharpshooter. 

The women's match was good except for the schmozz and Black vs. Gargano was very good, but this was in my mind the most mediocre Takeover ever. No buzz coming out of it and no continuation or beginning of storylines.

Hopefully they clear the deck and make way for some of the talent, because this card was just there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Also,  the match went too long.  :)

I enjoyed the hell out of the show though.   I didn't want Shayna/Kairi to end how it did with all the interference but I'm looking forward to 3/4ths of the MMA horsewomen fighting Kairi/Io/Kai.  

Dream and Ciampa was one of my favorite matches of the year.  Dream's character work is so awesome especially for a dude who hasn't been around long.  He's one of the better prospects in all of NXT.   I didn't think Ciampa carried this either,  Dream more than held his own.  Some of his execution needs work but other stuff that he does like the elbow drop look so great that it makes up for everything else. I was really pulling for him.  Ciampa was of course fantastic too.  Bastard. 

• Like 2

Yeah, Velveteen has a lot going for him, but he still has a long way to go.  I think his aping of legends for cheap pops is covering over a lot of holes in his game.  Which is fine for now, I guess, but if he hasn't advanced beyond that by the time he hits the main roster, he'll be a Breezango-tier guy in short order.

• Like 3

Really impressed with Velveteen Dream's timing - he moved from spot to spot very well and was able to read and work with the crowd's crescendos at a preternatural level. If that's not good wrestling than what is wrestling?

War Games was like being trapped in a slightly above average buffet and being forced to eat until you got sick. Hey, but Double Moonsault.

13 minutes ago, EVA said:

I think his aping of legends for cheap pops is covering over a lot of holes in his game.  Which is fine for now, I guess, but if he hasn't advanced beyond that by the time he hits the main roster, he'll be a Breezango-tier guy in short order.

That's a stretch. I think it's pretty clear Dream isn't just a throwback tribute act.

2 minutes ago, Edwin said:

Yeah, that's a stretch. Let's not act like Dream is just a throwback tribute and nothing else.

Literally all of his offense, besides the rolling DVD and his stupidly contrived DDT, is just blatantly aping legends.  I don't know what else you would call it.  He has a lot of else, but he hasn't been using much of it since he turned face.

The worst thing that could happen to him is to get called up to the main roster soon, doing this babyface act.  He will die a quick death.

• Like 1